Apple board member Al Gore mentions 'new iPhones' coming in October

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple board member and former U.S. vice president Al Gore has gained attention and stirred up speculation for mentioning Apple will release new "iPhones" -- plural -- next month.

Gore mentioned Apple's next smartphones in a speech given Wednesday at the Discovery Invest Leadership Summit in South Africa according to The Next Web. The comment has added fuel to rumors and speculation that Apple could release a cheaper so-called "iPhone 4S" alongside a redesigned fifth-generation iPhone.

"Not to mention the new iPhones coming out next month. That was a plug," Gore is quoted as having said. He has been a member of the Apple Board of Directors since 2003.

Apple is expected to hold an event on Oct. 4 to announce its next-generation iPhone. It will be a later than usual debut for the handset, as upgraded models in years past have launched in the June-July timeframe.

As hype surrounding the next iPhone continues to grow, there has been speculation that Apple could introduce a second iPhone model this year, expanding the product lineup much like the company has done with the iPod touch, iPod nano and iPod shuffle beyond the iPod classic. Some reports have suggested Apple plans to release a new, less expensive model that could be sold contract-free and geared toward developing countries like China.

Of course, Apple also currently sells different iPhone options that vary in slightly different ways: the current-generation iPhone 4 is available in 16GB and 32GB capacities, and also has options for a GSM radio compatible with AT&T's network or a CDMA radio that works with Verizon in the U.S. The company also still sells the previous generation iPhone 3GS model, first released in 2009.

Confusion over the still-unofficial fifth-generation iPhone has persisted, as third-party cases and even a report from The New York Times have suggested the so-called "iPhone 5" will sport a new form factor. Those have stood in contrast to leaked parts and conflicting reports that have instead claimed that the next iPhone will have an appearance largely similar to the current iPhone 4.

Politics is off topic to this thread because the story had nothing to do with politics. Even if the man is a former politician, the story had nothing to do with his politics. If you want to discuss his politics, find the thread in Political Outsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    I really think this is reading too much into his words. If he'd said 'new Cinema Displays next month' would we assume he meant there would be more than one model? No.

Of far more importance is that this is the first ACTUAL confirmation from inside Apple that a new iPhone is in fact coming out next month.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 3 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    If that quoted text is accurate I don't see how that will stand well with Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    First MDN, now this. He didn't say "new iPhone models", so you simply can't make that conclusion

But I do believe they're two. One is the natural evolution of the iPhone line, the other a contract-free Android wannabe killer.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Steve is only gone for a month and "the ship is already leaking from the top"
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Whew, that's a relief. Until now I was worried that Apple would make only one iPhone 5 and we'd all have to share.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    I agree, WTF is with people? Can't they keep their mouths shut? Steve should kick some butts as long as he has breath in his body.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Steve is only gone for a month and "the ship is already leaking from the top"

The Chairman of the Board should be ousted for that getting out. Wait, who's the Chairman? Oh yeah......
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Technically Apple doesn't make one iPhone, they makes millions of them, and all the ones that aren't refurbished, well, they are new.

Al, you seem to be safe this time.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    I must say that those who run Apple are geniuses! Look at all of the free press they have been getting! Go Apple!
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Who cares where the leak comes from. We are all waiting impatiently to know more about the upcoming iPhone.

Everyone complains about a lack of info from Apple, and now we finally have something that came from someone affiliated with the company and everyone is bashing?
  • Reply 12 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Yeah you can't conclude there will be a 4s and a 5 from his words. He could mean the iPhone for AT&T and the one for Verizon along with the 16gb and 32gb etc. the 'iPhones" plural. Sometimes these guys get so wrapped up in their presentation that they forget that the product hasn't been announced yet. He's been aware of it for months and it is such a matter of fact for him that he slipped up. Shit happens.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Of course he had to let the cat out of the bag. For just once in his life, he wanted to be right about SOMETHING!

Ha! That's a good one.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You can bet if he said it he was told to mention it. And this news may have people in general holding off their "phone" purchase to see what's coming.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You can bet if he said it he was told to mention it. And this news may have people in general holding off their "phone" purchase to see what's coming.

At least it isn't like he has something to gain by mentioning it. He did say it was a plug. Wouldn't that be a plug for Apple since he doesn't work for a partnering company like that publisher guy who spilled the beans about the App Store last year.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    I think everyone is forgetting...

This is a guy that believes in ManBearPig

Quote:

Whew, that's a relief. Until now I was worried that Apple would make only one iPhone 5 and we'd all have to share.

I could actually imagine that. The horror!
  • Reply 17 of 44
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Didn't Steve used to have that "loose lips" poster on his office wall?
  • Reply 18 of 44
    My guess is he's commenting on the actual iPhone 5 that will be released and the one that he invented...
  • Reply 19 of 44
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Hey, I have to agree with you here.

The company wants to slack the demand for the iP4.

Reinstate my Ireland T-shirt order.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    While it's certainly possible that he was referring to multiple models, the fact is that Apple certainly intends to sell millions of new phoneS next month.