Sprint says iPhone is the top reason it loses customers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Sprint's chief executive Dan Hesse bent over backwards to avoid naming Apple's iPhone as having a future impact on his company's earnings, but did allude to the device as being "number one reason customers churn" from Sprint to its competitors.

Speaking to analysts about the company's future financial expectations at an event sponsored by Goldman Sachs and covered by CNET, Hesse took care not to confirm that Sprint would be carrying the iPhone, but remarked that, "If we get it--if--we may have to adjust our guidance for that."

Sprint's existing financial guidance currently does not factor in the impact of the iPhone, which Hesse alluded to only as a certain 'rumored device.'

Hesse had earlier introduced his comments by saying he would not be talking about the possibility of Sprint carrying Apple's smartphone, but did acknowledge that the iPhone was the biggest reason Sprint's customers leave.

Sprint has been rumored to carry a new iPhone 5 alongside AT&T and Verizon by the Wall Street Journal, while leaks from associates indicate Sprint will soon be launching a version of iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Why would people be leaving Sprint?

They have long been the bastion of Android handsets, which are "winning".
  • Reply 2 of 47
    "...adjust our guidance" is code for "we'll actually make a profit as a company".
  • Reply 3 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

"...adjust our guidance" is code for "we'll actually make a profit as a company".

"Adjust our guidance" = "We'll be dropping the unlimited plan."
  • Reply 4 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

But Android is so much better in usage, features and sales than the iPhone so surely Hesse is lying¡
  • Reply 5 of 47
    It's why I switched to crap AT&T

Can't wait to switch back
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But Android is so much better in usage, features and sales than the iPhone so surely Hesse is lying.

/sarcasm

(Figured I'll help you out before people pile on. You're welcome. )
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

/sarcasm

(Figured I'll help you out before people pile on. You're welcome. )

He has an accepted punctuation already, though.

Personally, I prefer the other one.

So don't worry. People will know what he's talking about⸮ They can't miss it⸮
  • Reply 8 of 47
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:

But Android is so much better in usage, features and sales than the iPhone so surely Hesse is lying¡

Makes you wonder. Who is buying all these Android phones?!
  • Reply 9 of 47
    Oh, Dan.

I went to AT&T for the iPhone, sure.

But I left Sprint because of the abysmal (and somehow even that word seems inadequate) customer service.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

Oh, Dan.

I went to AT&T for the iPhone, sure.

But I left Sprint because of the abysmal (and somehow even that word seems inadequate) customer service.

and the fraudulent billing charges.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    iPhone + Sprint?

It's a trap!
  • Reply 12 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yes, it is amazing that while all these CEOs are admitting that the iPhone nailed their businesses big time the Android crowd continues to assert that Android is kicking iOS's rear end from here to the South Pole. Sometimes I wonder just who is drinking the Kool-Aid these days and who's RDF is the strongest.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

and the fraudulent billing charges.

+1

Sprint switching to Nextel's billing system drove me over the edge. Then the iPhone 3 was announced... I didn't look back. They lost over $200USd a month from me and my family (was 5, now 4 with 3 data plans) phones.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

iPhone + Sprint?

It's a trap!

In the style of Tallest Skil?
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Makes you wonder. Who is buying all these Android phones?!

Nerds and the poor.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Sprint says iPhone is the top reason it loses customer? That's why the leadership makes the big bucks. Let's see AT&T lose a big chunk of their customers if Sprint gets the iPhone and if they don't adjust their prices.

All I know is my AT&T contract expires in thirty days and someone better persuade me to give them my business.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Don't flatter yourself Sprint. You sucked way before the iPhone came along. I wouldn't switch back to Sprint if they became the only company to offer the iPhone. They walked away with hundreds of my dollars and kept accusing me of trying to rip THEM off.

Long story short. Had a Samsung A900 (flip phone/razor knockoff). I was going on vacation, so I added bluetooth tethering for the EVDO service. Without telling me, they took away my voice service, charging me some ridiculous per minute charge. I was on autopay and didn't notice there was a problem until my bank account was drained. I spent weeks on the phone and never got my money back.

\
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:

According to asymco's article, most Android devices serves as door stop that display ads.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:

Added irony mark, not that more than a handful of people know what it means

So is that an inverted exclaimation mark?

Did't there used to be an Apple supplied "KeyCaps"-like application in the Utility folder that I could use to find that out for myself? What happened to that?
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuwafuwa View Post

According to asymco's article, most Android devices serves as door stop that display ads.

Well that's a stretch. But then again us poor nerds probably can't afford data plans. /s

(Notice how the ad impressions seem to mirror the paid/free ratio of apps for each platform? Probably not a coincidence. Only place I see ads is an app. Unless you think Android phones randomly display ads throughout the day?)