Apple ships thousands of donated iPads to America's poorest schools

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple has been collecting original iPad models donated by iPad 2 buyers in a program supporting Teach for America, which trains college graduates to handle the job of teaching in the nation's poorest schools.

According to a report by Phillip Elmer-Dewitt writing for Fortune, more than 9,000 members of the Teach for America corps were each offered refurbished iPads.

The program asked new teachers in an email, "What could an iPad do for your classroom and your students? Well, we're asking you to help us answer this question."

Apple has been distributing the new hardware over the past two weekends. The report cited Katie Remington, a new teacher running the science department in an inner-city St. Louis school, as having received a like-new refurbished model.

After her first day with the new device Remington wrote, "So far, I've figured out it can make them finish their work fast for 'iPad time.'"

Steve Jobs' wife Laurene Powell sits on the board of directors of the Teach for America program. The program targets 15 million American children who live in poverty, working to deliver an excellent education for disadvantaged kids.

The program helps pay for students' relocation costs and student loans in exchange for a two year commitment to work in under-resourced urban and rural public school.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Sweet! Got a similar local & private deal collecting iPad 1s & even 2s for use by schools for non-neurotypical. Bravo Apple and Apple customers.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    FIrst I wanna say I think this is an awesome, awesome idea. No one wants the first iPad anymore and if these kids start learning the OS, they'll be more inclined to prefer it in the future.

But with that being said, Inner City + Demanded piece of tech gear = ___________ .

Good luck teachers and smaller kids walking home. Hope you can download some kind of karate app.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Again Apple drops the ball, they have to resources to just give these kids iPads. their idea of charity is for others to do the buying, jeez.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has been collecting original iPad models donated by iPad 2 buyers in a program supporting Teach for America, which trains college graduates to handle the job of teaching in the nation's poorest schools. ...

It's great that a bunch of folks got free iPads and all, but I wonder when (if ever!) people will finally realise that throwing technology at a classroom doesn't actually help anyone learn any better?

Computers for poor kids, just makes the first-world types feel better about their choices. It doesn't magically help kids learn any better or improve their lives. The OLPC fiasco proved that definitively even if the decades of earlier research didn't convince anyone yet.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sternapples53 View Post

Again Apple drops the ball, they have to resources to just give these kids iPads. their idea of charity is for others to do the buying, jeez.

all I can do is laugh; not even worth getting annoyed over such inanity.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

all I can do is laugh; not even worth getting annoyed over such inanity.

I couldn't even laugh.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Read carefully people. The donated iPads are going to the teachers for use in the classroom.

It's ok if your lips move as you read if that increases comprehension.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

for a two year commitment to work in under-resourced urban and rural public school.

Typo #4 today...should be plural - - schools
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Again Apple interferes in a prime Android market.

Cheers
  • Reply 10 of 25
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

Read carefully people. The donated iPads are going to the teachers for use in the classroom.

So Apple rewards people who specifically teach under the worst conditions to those who need it most. Those bastards.

Personally i think they should reward all teachers, and the kids in the inner city schools as well, but then someone would bitch about their iPad costing too much so Apple can afford to give them away, and then there would WSJ articles about how Apple rewards those lucky duckies, and some tea-bagger would yell about class warfare.....

Yeah, never mind.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's great that a bunch of folks got free iPads and all, but I wonder when (if ever!) people will finally realise that throwing technology at a classroom doesn't actually help anyone learn any better?

Computers for poor kids, just makes the first-world types feel better about their choices. It doesn't magically help kids learn any better or improve their lives. The OLPC fiasco proved that definitively even if the decades of earlier research didn't convince anyone yet.

There was a huge move to put technology in all the schools in poor towns in Mexico with President Fox, turns out a lot of those small towns didn't even have electricity and all of this "amazing" technology was left, right there, collecting dust.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

+++ To this comment. Do people read the article or just the headline?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Quote:

I'm not sure anyone expects this to magically fix our education system but certainly it can be a handy tool. I think it's good they are sharing and if that makes "first worlder types" feel better then that's fine too.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

No one wants the first iPad anymore

I'm mystified by this.

I have access to both units and I like the "feel" of my iPad 1 because of the flat edges. The curved edges of the iPad 2 drive me nuts.

The iPad 2 is ever so slightly snappier. That's it.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I'm mystified by this.

I have access to both units and I like the "feel" of my iPad 1 because of the flat edges. The curved edges of the iPad 2 drive me nuts.

A silly consideration but it means being able to take your iPad places cameras are a no no. Yeah performance is better on the new model but the old can be hassle free just about anywhere.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    Quote:

I'm mystified by this.

Me too! Nobody wants a product that is barely a year and half old?! Maybe no tech enthusiast wants it but I am sure a large amount of the general population does. When I went to school in the late 90s we still had several PCs that where running Windows 3.1, a lab full of old, very slow Mac Classics, and even a few Apple IIs. Apple was giving a big discount on several of their machines at the time which where quite new. Being able to use those machines was a huge benefit over using any of those other machines. I wasn't complaining because they were a year or two old.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

I hear what you are saying but it bothers me. I have taught in both inner city schools and ones in well to do neighbourhoods. When the schools in better areas get new technology in the classroom, it is hailed as progressive and people say "wow they are really fortunate." When the inner city schools get the same equipment, many people think it is a wasted effort and they denigrate the move to improve the tools the teacher has.

You are right that just by putting computers in classrooms does not "magically" make them learn better. This is true not just for "poor kids", but rich kids too. But if the technology is used properly, it does help, a lot. In fact, I would say it helps the "poor kids" more because they may not have had the same exposure to computers as the wealthier kids. Although now days this may not be so accurate. But the point is that nothing happens on it's own. A book sitting on a table does not teach a child. The book must be opened and it must be able to be read by the student to be helpful. Same with computers. This is where training for the teachers comes in to play. Parents, if you ever wondered what PED days are for, this is one of the reasons. Training.

So as I jump off my soap box, let me just end by saying that having iPads in the class can be great. What Apple is doing is a nice gesture. But as one of the other posters said in here, it would be nice if they just outright donated iPads instead of simply brokering the donation.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:

I'm mystified by this.

ha ha haaa, you said snappy
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sternapples53 View Post

A lot of companies have the resources to do different things but don't do anything. Hate to ruin your fantasy but public companies are not established to benefit mankind.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    This is amazing. Kudos to Apple on this program!