Bill Buxton of Microsoft Research calls Steve Jobs' patents a lesson for CEOs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    I was watching the Walt Disney special the other evening on MSNBC and they way described Walt was the way people have described Steve Jobs and it occurred to me that Steve is the Walt Disney of his day in his field. Total visionary, total control, megalomaniac, but in the end he knows what scores, and he isn't without some failures, but never let that get him down.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Time and time again we hear the same tired story of how events should be remembered and applied, and learned from it.

The reality is most CEO's have zero vision, they know they have zero vision, and their egos will prevent them from admitting it.

People like Steve Jobs, HP's founders, etc... they were a special breed of people.

CEO's nowadays simply care about the bottom line, and have zero interest in doing something that actually improves society as a whole. The way the universities pump out MBA's and these clowns think they're ready to lead/create companies is hysterical to say the least.

Amen. Most of these guys have but one skill: They know how to insinuate themselves into a generously-compensated executive position. Their skills are political. But that's it. Few of them could have built their companies, as Jobs and Disney and men like that did.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    Apt words from Buxton.

And I'd say, that so far, Steve Jobs is Earth's quintessential CEO.

Here's the full article. http://management.fortune.cnn.com/20...esson-for-ceos
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Not really, since it clogs the thread.

Has anyone ever posted a good sentence and complimented a writer here, by the way?

Also, should we start quoting each other's posts whenever there is a typo just so everyone knows?

If one wants to constructively criticize the orthography then he or she should email the editors, really.

I hope someone finds and points out several typos in this post.

You can unclog it using the "ignore" feature. Moreover, on the subject of clogging, posts such as yours (quoted above) are a prime example.

"Should we start quoting each others' posts" over typos? Assuming it's not a rhetorical question, the fact is, few people do. So it's moot.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maguro View Post

Typo #5 today

Please sotp!
  • Reply 26 of 51
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Technically, it's not a typo if it correctly produces a valid word. It's a grammatical error.

Actually, it's a lexical error (wrong word) not a grammatical error (wrong word order). See Skitt's Law http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...in-to-Poe.html

@anan&c: >That's your problem, not the grammar cop's, no?<

Not entirely; writers of tech news reports are working quickly and would be pleased to have suggested corrections if they are made politely in the spirit of getting things right.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    hello guys..just passing by to say hi for now.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    @anand You must be either an HTC or Samsung employee! Stop this bitching about typos and grammar, etc. Stick to the core of the post. BTW, AI is not an highly quoted site, matter of back I don't think anyone quotes them. AI and MacRumors are basically sister sites where they cross post same stories :-)
  • Reply 29 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Time and time again we hear the same tired story of how events should be remembered and applied, and learned from it.

The reality is most CEO's have zero vision, they know they have zero vision, and their egos will prevent them from admitting it.

People like Steve Jobs, HP's founders, etc... they were a special breed of people.

CEO's nowadays simply care about the bottom line, and have zero interest in doing something that actually improves society as a whole. The way the universities pump out MBA's and these clowns think they're ready to lead/create companies is hysterical to say the least.

Negotiating their golden parachute is usually their first preoccupation.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Buxton describes himself as "a relentless advocate for innovation, design, and - especially - the appropriate consideration of human values, capacity, and culture in the conception, implementation, and use of new products and technologies."

... and yet, he works for microsoft.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Buxton is one of the well respected people at MS. With such an article, I wonder if he's trying to increase his profile still higher and head towards management? Or, at least assume more control, laying out a direction for such a leadership position at MS, with him taking that spot. It would be interesting... and welcome. I welcome better MS products, especially Word for Mac!

He's a great speaker by the way if people can catch his talks and keynotes.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mainmac View Post

I would beg to differ.

I don't. Grammer cops add nothing to the thread.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwingrav View Post

Buxton is one of the well respected people at MS. With such an article, I wonder if he's trying to increase his profile still higher and head towards management? Or, at least assume more control, laying out a direction for such a leadership position at MS, with him taking that spot. It would be interesting... and welcome. I welcome better MS products, especially Word for Mac!

He's a great speaker by the way if people can catch his talks and keynotes.

Ok, I just read the entire article. Very different from my comments here (and the writeup). Very Buxton sounding. Very insightful. Not sounding like Buxton is taking over MS. Too bad, I wish he had more interest in that.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Really anantksundaram?

Since when do you put an ellipsis and a period together like you have?

If you cannot practise what you preach, please – just stick to reading the article.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tangles View Post

Really anantksundaram?

Since when do you put an ellipsis and a period together like you have?

If you cannot practise what you preach, please ? just stick to reading the article.

Two posts.

Razzing on a guy complaining about a poster who exists to spam.

Sounds legit.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:

Typo #5 today

I was wondering when you'd show up. I was missing you.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

Actually, it's a lexical error (wrong word) not a grammatical error (wrong word order). See Skitt's Law http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...in-to-Poe.html

@anan&c: >That's your problem, not the grammar cop's, no?<

Not entirely; writers of tech news reports are working quickly and would be pleased to have suggested corrections if they are made politely in the spirit of getting things right.

Typo police, then grammar-typo police, then lexical-grammar-typo police. Lions & tigers and bears! Oh my!

This is a rumor site, not even a reputable blog. Can we all just stop trying to enforce some long forgotten lost art of journalism school? We get cattiness over grammar in a rumor site, when most "news" sites are little more than personal columns rife with interpretation and opinion -- without the explicit break between the editorial and the factual. When you can get real news sites to actually act like they have reporters and not entertainers then maybe it will be worth the effort to strong-arm Kasper's Slaves on their typing skills.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:

Typo #5 today

Since you have the ability to find these spelling and grammar errors so quickly, why don't you email him instead of going off-topic, which to the best of my knowledge isn't allowed at this site?
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:

Typo #5 today

The vast majority of readers never notice the grammar/typos in the first place. But you grammar cops then force them in our faces. And because AI writers are human there will always be grammar mistakes. They will NEVER go away. Announcements of grammar mistakes should be sent via private message to the author and not forced repeatedly on to readers.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    In a secret meeting, Mr. Ballmer hastily asks that his name be placed on several Microsoft patents. He doesn't care which. Something technological sounding.