French newspapers team up for leverage in negotiations with Apple

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    Wow it's been a while since I last posted. But I've been observing French media for a while so thought I'd chime it.

The consortium is almost certainly e-Presse Premium, a "groupement d'intérêt économique" (Economic Interest Group) set up in November last year to, essentially, respond to and upset the balance of power in a media environment increasingly dominated by Google, Apple and Facebook.

One of their primarily projects is a kiosque systen not unlike Apple's own Newstand. This would essentially be a basket subscription service that lets you pick and choose from several French publications. The hope is that a) greater choice of content, b) easy access and b) single format and account will entice readers. The newspapers, too, are conceivably better off because this is at least one way to monetize existing content.

A study carried out by the Boston Consulting Group (can't remember the year) actually found that ?3 was the maximum people were willing to pay for news, rather insufficient especially in France where operating a business and employing people is a lot more expensive than in the US (largely because of policies regarding employee termination, minimum wages, overtime pay, social security coverage...).

In fact, an existing program (and iPad app) called Le Kiosque might actually be a direct result of this, although a lot more than just eight publications seem to be participating.

On a cultural note, saving traditional media ("la presse écrite") is a actually national priority in France, a country that takes pride in and values the written word. The term "crisis" is not unusual in relevant discussions, and the General State of the Press actually declared a state of emergency ("état d'urgence") in 2008.

Sarkozy spoke about it a few years ago, placing much of the blame on French publications' making their content available for free as a means of increasing readership/circulation. He argued, as did quite a few other people?some quite influential?that this has led to readers being habituated to not paying for news. The challenge, according to those who hold this view, is to get even just part of the online viewers to pay.

Some money made available (by the state) to media groups to try to compete and modernise. This proposal?someone mentioned "collusion" earlier, which, in some ways it is?is a show of force, a group eight established and highly respected publications colluding with a common economic interest - that of survival.

Whether or not these publications (and their demands) are still relevant, especially in a saturated online media environment, remains to be seen. I'll keep a close eye
  • Reply 22 of 23
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

What are they going to do about it when Apple says Non?

Are they going on strike like the peasants do all the time over there if the price of their apples is to low.

If Apple says non, they will gavotte.

But if Apple says jamais, only then will they strike.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I'm wondering if they'll take the anti-trust route. If Google can be called to the carpet for its apparent "monopoly" with search, could Apple face similar treatment over its online services in the future (iTunes, iBooks, Newstand)?