Middle-class Americans to spend $481 a year on Apple products by 2015

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Increasingly not true. Our spineless politicians reflect well heeled interest groups such as the banking sector.

Unless you are aware of extremely widespread vote fraud, it is still the will of the people. If the people are weak and easily influenced, then it is still their will, or lack of it.

Interesting study, kind of meaningless, but even so, the number is higher than I would have expected.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jman2u View Post

Does the prediction for iPad market share four years form now seem ridiculously optimistic to anyone else here???

Maybe? No one else has shown any life in the tablet space at all...
  • Reply 23 of 37
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:

Does the prediction for iPad market share four years form now seem ridiculously optimistic to anyone else here???

Not at all. In fact I believe that iPad markets share already exceeds 90% if you just consider tablets actually purchased by consumers.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

To this day, I marvel at the fact that Jobs (claimed he) would be happy with 1% of the worlds mobile phone market!

Apple still have less then 10% of the world mobile phone market.

Nokia some years made over 1 billion phones.

Apples record is 30-40 million iPhone's in a year.

The difference is that iPhone ASP is 630 and Nokia is less then 100.

It is more fun to have 30% profit on 630 then 30% profit of a sub 100 phone.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Apple still have less then 10% of the world mobile phone market.

Nokia some years made over 1 billion phones.

Apples record is 30-40 million iPhone's in a year.

The difference is that iPhone ASP is 630 and Nokia is less then 100.

It is more fun to have 30% profit on 630 then 30% profit of a sub 100 phone.

Right now Nokia can only dream of 30% margins
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:

No.

Actually: iPads and Phones will kill the traditional PC market.

Phones/Tablets today is fast enough for 90%+ of the consumers.

What will happen is that traditional PCs will be a margin market. People will use their phone as a computer. Just plug your iPhone to your LCD screen + bluetooth keyboard/mouse and you have a complete computer setup.

There is a niche market for PC like gaming and benchmarks geeks. But for the mainstream ARM is fast enough.

Next year we will see 28nm quod core ARMs from Apple. (in fact, Apple will be first with 28nm ARMs). They are as fast as quod core Intel Core architecture about 2.5ghz. Yes, ARM is as fast as 4-5 year old high end Intel. But that is enough.

ARM SoC 25 dollar. 2.5 watt.

Intel/AMD: Motherboard + CPU/APU. 30-160 watt. 150-1000 dollar.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:

normally? yea...but being that iPads pretty much ARE the market and they improve at a pace in terms of quality hardware and software that their competitors can't compete with I can't see them losing the market at any point.

Android fans not being as one company oriented as Apple fans will likely get an iPad over the Android offerings (no matter how good they may be in the future) due to the fact that the ecosystem for iPads is so much more complete. Also with iPads permeating the business and educational sectors it won't make sense to go elsewhere.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

No.

What will happen is that traditional PCs will be a margin market. People will use their phone as a computer. Just plug your iPhone to your LCD screen + bluetooth keyboard/mouse and you have a complete computer setup.

yea that's definitely the future.

I personally can't wait.

external HDD + LCD + Keyboard + mouse + dock for phone.

The new PC.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot does this mean?

Now that's pretty funny. Thanks.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The average middle-class American will spend roughly $481 each year on Apple products by 2015, up from $321 this year,

So the average family is middle class, and has 2.5 kids. 4.5 x 321 = ~1450

I am quite skeptical. I don't believe that most families spend just under $1500 on Apple products per year. In fact, I don't think that they spend that much on CE in general.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:

Yes. Fatuous even.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's a pretty big world. 1% of 5 billion (the current number of mobile phones in use worldwide) is 50 million. Apple's profit margin on each phone is $380. $380 * 50 million = $1.9 billion profit. Profit, not revenue!

1) $380*50M is $19B, not $1.9B.

2) Apple does not have anything close to $380 in 'profit margin' per phone (you may be confusing 'gross' margin with 'profit' margin).

3) My guess is that the profit margin is closer to 20% - 25% on each handset.

4) That is still a hugely impressive total profit, however.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Politicians are destroying the middle class. The right is doing it openly the left is pretending to be on our side but they are all corporatist pigs.

Another way of putting this is Republicans are looking to move the middle class to a higher tax bracket. The Democrats are looking to move the middle class to a lower tax bracket.

Which is why we need a single tax bracket (a flat rate for everyone).
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

yea that's definitely the future.

I personally can't wait.

external HDD + LCD + Keyboard + mouse + dock for phone.

The new PC.

Looks like you want a Motorola Bionic. Has all that, with maybe the exception of the external HDD. Not sure if the laptop doc has USB ports on it or not.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    deleted
  • Reply 36 of 37
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Unless you are aware of extremely widespread vote fraud, it is still the will of the people. If the people are weak and easily influenced, then it is still their will, or lack of it.

Interesting study, kind of meaningless, but even so, the number is higher than I would have expected.

I called the politician spineless, not the people. The will of the people matters little if no politician (party) is willing to regulate corporations / interest groups / industry sectors. Most of these will act in blinkered self interest and are completely unable to self regulate and this is where the true role of politics steps in. The same people control the banking sector now as for the three or four previous administrations in the US. The banking sector remains more or less unregulated to the detriment of 'normal' people.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

Looks like you want a Motorola Bionic. Has all that, with maybe the exception of the external HDD. Not sure if the laptop doc has USB ports on it or not.

Nah the tech isn't there yet. Maybe in five years. As much of an android fan as I am I'd rather a windows or os x/iOS offering considering android has no desktop formula as of yet (though 3.0+ could be seen as a step in the right direction.)