Doubts cast on success of Amazon tablet, Android Ice Cream Sandwich vs. iPad

Comments

• Reply 61 of 140
    deleted
  • Reply 62 of 140
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Hell, if the island saw money from every person placed, that could be considered some sort of victory.

Now back on topic: Imagine if Apple supported a few different iPhones. One with a keyboard, one with a bigger screen, one with a smaller square screen, one with an emphasis on games, one with an emphasis on business. They probably would take up more spots on that list. I imagine a lot of Android users went with Android simply because they didn't like the iPhone for simple reasons like this.

I agree. That's probably the biggest reason IMO.
  • Reply 63 of 140
    I don't think it's wise to liken the smartphone and tablet markets.

In the US and many other markets the phone purchase price is subsidized over the service contract life, making meaningful price comparisons tricky. Apple maintains strong control over resale pricing, whereas Android (and other) phone pricing is all over the map, depending on the carrier's deal of the day. What we do know is that Apple makes a boatload of money compared to everyone else in the smartphone world.

Tablets don't require a recurring service contract and so are sold at their "real" price. Despite its generous margins, Apple has shown itself to be entirely competitive in tablet pricing, generally superior in product design and with a higher quality product ecosystem. Right now you have to look hard to find a reason not to choose the iPad for your tablet purchase. This could change, but we're not seeing much sign of it so far.

A better market lesson might be in comparing the iPad to the original iPod. There were certainly other portable music players before the iPod, and some were cheaper, others arguably as good. But Apple brought a degree of refinement, value and convenience (the iTunes Music Store) to the portable music player market that nobody else was able to match, and in doing so gained such momentum that competitors were never able to get a significant foothold. (RIP Zune...)

From a pricing point of view Amazon has the potential to subsidize its rumoured tablet price through its e-book sales, just as it does the Kindle. But pay me now or pay me later: it's not clear what Amazon would really bring to the party.
  • Reply 64 of 140
    "In order to allow the competition to catch up, Apple is going to freeze development of the current iPad. Tim Cook, Apple's CEO, mentioned that he is waiting to see how Windows 8, to be released in 2012, stacks up to the iPad today. Cook says he'll hold off on iOS 6.0 development until he sees what Windows 8 is all about."

"I like competition. To keep it fair and balanced, I'll match Windows 8 2012 with iOS 2011. It's the right thing to do, at least to appease these analysts who have no fuckin' idea what they're talking about," Cook added.
  • Reply 65 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This one? Yes it does.

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/iphone_en/p...value_program/

I'm not sure that is free. It looks like they are giving a monthly discount to premium users that "helps defrays" the cost of the handset over the period of the contract. All so that they can claim it is "effectively free". Or am I misunderstanding their cunning ploy?
  • Reply 66 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This one? Yes it does.

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/iphone_en/p...value_program/

Oh... and I knew you'd go there... just so that I could point out that the 32g model is not free... unlike the Android phones that are all free.

What was the 2nd best selling smartphone in Japan? Pardon... I can't hear you...
  • Reply 67 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Again, Apple has ONE DEVICE.

I was under the impression that Apple is currently marketing more than 10 different SKUs in the iPhone family. Anybody have the exact number?
  • Reply 68 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

If this were the Olympics, Apple would win both the Gold and Silver, and then a fucking retarded Android troll would pop in and claim that having 5 or 6 phones in the top ten is actually better than being first.

So much hate against Android. It's just a frickin' mobile OS for a phone! It's not out to murder your entire family. Both platforms arguably have their own pros and cons. It's actually mutually beneficial for both or more platforms to exist at the same time. I like both. Win8 looks promising too.
  • Reply 69 of 140
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I'm not sure that is free. It looks like they are giving a monthly discount to premium users that "helps defrays" the cost of the handset over the period of the contract. All so that they can claim it is "effectively free". Or am I misunderstanding their cunning ploy?

I really don't know for certain how they present it to a customer. A few customers who contracted with them would have to answer how it's marketed. In reality all the "free phone" offers are actually defrayed cost over the contract term. None are really free.
  • Reply 70 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I was under the impression that Apple is currently marketing more than 10 different SKUs in the iPhone family. Anybody have the exact number?

If you want to pretend that that counts as multiple phones, I have no problem with you making a fool of yourself in the future.

Let's see, AT&T, Verizon, and unlocked, two capacities, and two colors.

Comes out to 12 models. Oh, and if you want to include the iPhone 3GS, go right ahead.
  • Reply 71 of 140
    Sometimes my Apple news feeds make me laugh, other times they are just bothersome. This article would be one of the latter. The hubris seems to know no bounds.
  • Reply 72 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There are no tablet experts. Nobody knows.

Not true, I'm a tablet expert and I say . . . oops, there's the phone, gotta go.
  • Reply 73 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCrizzo View Post

Price point is the key! If the Amazon tablet is cheap they will fly off the shelves! Not sure the OS will make a difference to the average consumer, I still think if they cost the same as the iPad then they will still purchase an iPad!

That is the key. If they can manufacture and sell $300 laptops with Windows (albeit low margin) they should be able to produce a slightly bulkier tablet close to the same price. Android could penetrate the market if the hardware makers could just get the price right.
  • Reply 74 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There are no tablet experts. Nobody knows.

Moses.
  • Reply 75 of 140
    deleted
  • Reply 76 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Android users represent a microscopic and insignificant percentage of web users. Is it surprising that frugal people who end up with cheap Android phones don't actually use their phones much to actually browse the web?

You're a totally delusional fanboy. iOS takes around 50% of all web traffic and the next big chunks go to opera mini and native android. The truth is there are plenty of android users browsing the web and they're doing it on high speed cell networks, unlike iOS users.
  • Reply 77 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Similar things were said about Android phones. Now they outsell iOS phones.

Time will tell. Nobody knows the future.

No one Android phone has overtaken the iPhone.

Same will hold true tablets. If you get 15-20 mfg making Android tablets eventually all of them combined will eventually outsell iPad. It will take much longer than with phones because Apple's aggressive pricing is making it difficult for the Android companies to make a profit.
  • Reply 78 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

You're a totally delusional fanboy. iOS takes around 50% of all web traffic and the next big chunks go to opera mini and native android. The truth is there are plenty of android users browsing the web and they're doing it on high speed cell networks, unlike iOS users.

I'm sure iOS will have the 4g stuff built in soon.
  • Reply 79 of 140
    deleted
  • Reply 80 of 140
    oh never mind...