You know this for sure? We've seen one?

They have:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/amazon-kindle-tablet/
  • Reply 102 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

They have:

http://techcrunch.com/2011/09/02/amazon-kindle-tablet/

That has as much credibility to me as this website.

If you're unfamiliar with these whores, I'll give you a little backstory. These are the guys who claimed they had seen a completely redesigned Mac Pro before the Nehalem line was released.

Black metal, entirely new case, new internals (larger, more SATA, PCIe, and 12 RAM slots), and all new ports on the outside. Huge article about how they had seen one.

And then the second it was released, they took all that out of the article (which was months old by that time) except for one paragraph stating that they had seen one before launch and it matched what Apple released exactly.

Also, their pages refreshed every 30 seconds automatically for more ad views.

Don't get me wrong: I have nothing against TechCrunch at all. But when someone claims to have seen something before release, writes about it, and doesn't bother to post any spy shots, I immediately have a PTSD-style flashback to MacOSRumors' article and instantly ignore anything they say.
  • Reply 103 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

the 10-inch form factor has still performed 7-inch devices

Typo #5 today - - what does this mean? How does a 10-inch form factor perform 7-inch devices? Do you mean outperform?
  • Reply 104 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Similar things were said about Android phones. Now they outsell iOS phones.

Time will tell. Nobody knows the future.

Of course it took 200+ devices and one out every other week to overtake

1 DEVICE!! One!

Heck my android friends are constantly changing phones..

Droidfanboi's love using misleading numbers dont they?

I'm no fan boi btw, I own a bunch of android devices, a hp touchpad
  • Reply 105 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCrizzo View Post

Price point is the key! If the Amazon tablet is cheap they will fly off the shelves! Not sure the OS will make a difference to the average consumer, I still think if they cost the same as the iPad then they will still purchase an iPad!

This isn't 1989 and Windows 3.1.
  • Reply 106 of 140
    Given that we haven't actually seen the UI for Amazons tablet I'd say it's to soon to decide if it will fail or not.

Kindle is a success and there marketing has been good enough to turn it into a device you want despite not knowing why. If the UI is good and they can match it with marketing then it could work. Every other tablet has awful marketing, most of the population don't even know they exist.
  • Reply 107 of 140
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Moses.

You recall reading that he smashed them right?
  • Reply 108 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

Eh, didn't the netbook market drop pretty much BECAUSE of the iPad?

Exactly what I thought when I read that. Netbook market fell down because:

a) netbooks are near useless and;

b) tablets (more specifically, iPad) provided a more portable and better performing alternative for the same price point.

The only reason netbooks got any lead was because they were cheap as hell and nothing at that price point was available in such a small, easy to carry package at the time.
  • Reply 109 of 140
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Heck my android friends are constantly changing phones..

Yeah I noticed that too.

'Oh you got a new phone?'

'Yeah my old one broke.'

Either they are careless with them since they aren't that precious or they are not very durable, or maybe it is because they can't update them, probably easier to get a new phone than try to upgrade the OS.
  • Reply 110 of 140
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

What everyone seems to be ignoring is that Amazon is very intentionally not trying to compete with the iPad.

It's blindingly obvious that the NookColor -- the tablet/reader marketed by what is, after all, Amazon's actual chief competitor, and which is the second best-selling tablet after the iPad -- is the target of the Amazon tablet.

The AmaTab has little memory. No cameras. A 7" screen and a $249 pricetag. These are exactly the same specs as a NC.

The NC comes from a bookstore, and is marketed as "the reader's tablet." Its UI is designed to be a front end for B&N's online retail operation, and (without rooting) it is limited to apps available from B&N.

Similarly, the Amazon product simply leverages its own digital offerings -- which are of course much richer and more varied than B&N's -- into a device. Prime streaming video. Cloud-based music and storage. A custom storefront. The Kindle Store. The Amazon App Store.

All of the hype surrounding the AmaTab lately has been generated by Internet tech writers who have managed to completely misunderstand the marketing thrust of the device, its capabilities, and who it's for. It's for people who would have bought a NookColor, and for Amazon fanpeeps.

The rumored 10" Amazon tablet might target the iPad, but there's no evidence that's actually going forward.

good lord, someone who pays attention to what is actually happening! rare indeed ... welcome.

i expect the Amazon tab will sell decently, if it is easy to use. they will certainly push it hard and the price is within reach of more people. but it's still just a 7" Amazon appliance - a niche product. the total of potential tablet buyers who are heavily focused on Amazon as their media source (other than books) is modest. it won't offer the Google cloud services that draw buyers to other Android tablets. its screen is too small to be a great shopping tablet, or anything browser-dependent. you'll still use your computer for that.

i'm one of those who believe the tweener 7" tablet size is inherently a niche market. either too big or too small for most uses and most users. if you can only afford one gadget, it's going to be a smartphone and you just cope with the small screen size. but it's all-in-one for all uses and easily portable. if you can afford two gadgets, the second one is going to target something it does a lot better for you than your phone. and for most people, a signficantly larger screen size is the first obvious advantage in that regard.

so i think Amazon would be foolish to make 4 million 7" Kindle tabs, especially a v.1 model. look what happened to Samsung's 2 million 7" v.1 Galaxy tabs a year ago - a huge flop (launched at $600, now $283 at Amazon with plenty of stock left). but it can actually do quite a bit more than the Amazon tab will. Amazon should start with a small run and learn from that before scaling up production with the improved - maybe bigger - v.2 model.
  • Reply 111 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

There may be other reasons why the stats collected at NetMarketShare and StatCounter demonstrate such a broad disparity with sales and activation rates.

This Nielsen study shows a very different picture of usage rates, contrasting with NMS and SC but more consistent with most other metrics we can find:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/06...ns-make-sense/

What do you think is the reason for the differences between Nielsen's data and NMS's? How do their methodologies differ?

One suggestion has been that perhaps Android users are running apps more than the browser. I don't know if that's the case and I haven't seen any studies on that (though it would be interesting to learn of any if you know of them), but it would account for the numbers from those companies that count only browser user-agents. Looking at my own usage patterns, I see that most of my HTTP traffic is from apps, using the browser only when there's no app available.

Another factor may be that perhaps Android users visit the same domains more frequently than iOS users, who might be visiting a wider variety of sites. I'm not asserting this is the case, I simply don't know, but at the NMS site they explain that they only count a given visitor once per day, and I tend to visit a relatively small number of sites frequently throughout the day, often revisiting sites more often than I go to a new one.

Anything else that might account for these differences?

Measuring HTTP traffic measures the time spent surfing the web via WebApps and other apps for HTTP related content.

It shows nothing wrt productivity on your device or entertainment on your device(s) for non-web related work.
  • Reply 112 of 140
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That has as much credibility to me as this website.

If you're unfamiliar with these whores, I'll give you a little backstory. These are the guys who claimed they had seen a completely redesigned Mac Pro before the Nehalem line was released.

Black metal, entirely new case, new internals (larger, more SATA, PCIe, and 12 RAM slots), and all new ports on the outside. Huge article about how they had seen one.

And then the second it was released, they took all that out of the article (which was months old by that time) except for one paragraph stating that they had seen one before launch and it matched what Apple released exactly.

Also, their pages refreshed every 30 seconds automatically for more ad views.

Don't get me wrong: I have nothing against TechCrunch at all. But when someone claims to have seen something before release, writes about it, and doesn't bother to post any spy shots, I immediately have a PTSD-style flashback to MacOSRumors' article and instantly ignore anything they say.

oh come on. Amazon itself gave Siegler a hands-on quick look, to boost some hype of course (and boy did he ever gush). he didn't make it up and it's not a fake.
  • Reply 113 of 140
    Quote:

Similar things were said about Android phones. Now they outsell iOS phones.

Time will tell. Nobody knows the future.

Can't tell if trolling or just stupid

Android SOFTWARE has a larger market share than iOS, but only in Smartphones.

iPhone HARDWARE outsells every device on the market and by a considerable margin.

Here is some food for thought

Laptops are a different class of device to a desktop computer, professional workstation and dedicated server, yet are still factored in when calculating the market share of OSX, Windows, Linux et al. So why not factor tablets into the iOS and Android market share? Both are portable media consumption and communication devices running the same operating systems. Differentiating between the two is useless. Throw iPads into the mix and it is a very likely that Android would slip into second place within the quarter, if it hasn't already given the number of iPads being sold.
  • Reply 114 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You recall reading that he smashed them right?

That must be what experts do.
  • Reply 115 of 140
    Quote:

I will stipulate that I am imperfect. Thanks for the feedback.

Now, that is a fact!
  • Reply 116 of 140
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Here is some food for thought

Throw iPads into the mix and it is a very likely that Android would slip into second place within the quarter, if it hasn't already given the number of iPads being sold.

Throwing iPads in the mix would help, but those numbers don't even come close to the volume of smartphone activations. With Google claiming upwards of 600K activations per day, you'd have to see iPad sales in the 10's of millions every month to get in striking range.
  • Reply 117 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I have no reason to doubt that specific writer, or to accuse him of lying. Some of his biases are well known, but this piece was presented as straight reporting.

The timing of it -- in the wake of the hysteria over the Forrester forecast of 3-5 million AmaTabs selling in 4Q, with absolutely no sense of what the product would actually be -- had all the earmarks of an intentional unofficial leak by Amazon for purposes of expectation control. The rumor mill was affecting their stock price and setting them up for a crash; reigning back expectations to a more realistic scale seems like a smart strategy, and giving one credible but unconnected writer a look at a prototype and permission to write about it seems like the sort of thing notoriously tight-lipped Amazon would do.

But believe it or don't, of course. It makes sense to me.
  • Reply 118 of 140
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Your statements seem to be factually incorrect, according to this:

http://blendblogger.com/2011/09/05/t...d-cell-phones/

According to the article, the best sellers are some of the most expensive models on the market, and not the bottom tier phones.

wtf?

An amateur blogger from Pakistan compiles a wish list of android phones, so where is the source of real sales figures to back up his list?
  • Reply 119 of 140
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

When comparing phone sales divvied up by OS, it makes little sense to add in other product categories.

For example, if one were to compare computer OS sales, one would not include the zillions of devices running Windows Embedded.

Microsoft reports on licenses sold, this is how they get 95% market share.
  • Reply 120 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Is Android better than iOS because it sells more?

Not IMO.