Sprint says iPhone is the top reason it loses customers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Makes you wonder. Who is buying all these Android phones?!

Ex-dumbphone users and ex-Blackberry users. Since Nokia was the supermajority vendor in the so-called "dumbphone" or "feature phone", one could say a lot of Nokia users have switched, and are now buying Android handsets.

However, brand loyalty isn't a big factor with this portion of the market as I most of these users just want a phone for voice or texting only.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Ex-dumbphone users and ex-Blackberry users. Since Nokia was the supermajority vendor in the so-called "dumbphone" or "feature phone", one could say a lot of Nokia users have switched, and are now buying Android handsets.

As proof of my comment, here is the data (from Asymco):

• Reply 43 of 47
    That chart is horrendous. No clear cut numbers anywhere. Android looks to be a bit larger than Apple, but putting a hard number to either section is not what one would call easy from the looks of that chart. We can certainly see that dumbphones have been going away and Android has gained faster than Apple, but that isn't surprising given that Apple was still on one carrier for a chunk of that time and is a single vendor, whereas Android is put out by several different companies.

I'm curious to see what happens if the iPhone does come to Sprint and/or T-Mobile and if Apple can maintain supply for the demand. I know tons of people on Sprint who have Android simply b/c they wanted to stay w/Sprint and couldn't get an iPhone. I've stayed on a less capable phone for that reason rather than going to Android. No interest in Android and I'd rather have an iPhone.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

That chart is horrendous. No clear cut numbers anywhere. Android looks to be a bit larger than Apple, but putting a hard number to either section is not what one would call easy from the looks of that chart. We can certainly see that dumbphones have been going away and Android has gained faster than Apple, but that isn't surprising given that Apple was still on one carrier for a chunk of that time and is a single vendor, whereas Android is put out by several different companies.

I'm curious to see what happens if the iPhone does come to Sprint and/or T-Mobile and if Apple can maintain supply for the demand. I know tons of people on Sprint who have Android simply b/c they wanted to stay w/Sprint and couldn't get an iPhone. I've stayed on a less capable phone for that reason rather than going to Android. No interest in Android and I'd rather have an iPhone.

All the data is saying the Android is becoming the industry standard OS for cell phones. When I say industry standard, I mean it is the de facto operating system for OEMs and carriers/operators to use. It's the new dumb-phone operating system.

Apple moving to more carriers will not dent the growth of Android. The only thing that will dent the growth of Android is: Microsoft convincing most OEMs (Samsung, LG, Nokia, Huawei, ZTE) and carriers (China Mobile, China Unicom, NTT, Vodafone, Verizon) to ship WP7 devices, OEMs/carriers forking Android and shipping that, or OEMs/carriers shipping their own non-Android derived OS on their cheap phones.

You have to mind that shipping on every device means 90% of the users will underutilize the device and use it merely at a voice/text phone. It's not a huge win.

As to why Sprint is losing customers, I think number one is that they have not turned over their reputation for bad service. I think number two is they failed to convert the vast majority of Nextel customers to CDMA customers. Number three is probably they chose the wrong horse with Wimax. It should have been LTE from the start. Would having the iPhone from the beginning covered up these flaws? I don't know. Maybe. Hero devices can do that, but Sprint has had a lot of structure, strategic issues.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

It's a mindset that is poison to the entire world. Dehumanizing people by placing them within a false hierarchy to make yourself feel more special, more worthy, etc.

Not an exclusively iPhone owner thing but it's something that shouldn't permeate into topics such as this. It's bad enough in politics, race, religion, etc. But when you have Apple fans deeming Android fans as lesser beings or some sick Android fan wishing for the death of Steve Jobs something is clearly wrong on all sides.

I'm hardly a mediator and my Android bias is evident but reason should always apply everywhere. Reason and compassion are keys to the long term survival of humanity period and day by day, year by year they seem to decrease amongst the general populace.

And yet you spend most of your time here making snarky, sarcastic little comments about blinkered and biased and quick to judge everyone else is.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Apple moving to more carriers will not dent the growth of Android. The only thing that will dent the growth of Android is: Microsoft convincing most OEMs (Samsung, LG, Nokia, Huawei, ZTE) and carriers (China Mobile, China Unicom, NTT, Vodafone, Verizon) to ship WP7 devices, OEMs/carriers forking Android and shipping that, or OEMs/carriers shipping their own non-Android derived OS on their cheap phones.

You forgot the other option: Oracle wins their injunction and Android is gone from the market.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    I think the spotty coverage, slow 3g speeds, and poor customer service is why they're losing subscribers. Even if Sprint does get an iphone, I don't think it's going to help them much.