More next-gen iPhone parts surface as '4S' case packaging appears

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Whether it's an "iPhone 4S" or an "iPhone 5," new components show an updated iPhone with a design similar to the current-generation model, while the packaging for a third-party case refers to a "4S" model.

The latest next-generation iPhone components were leaked to Indian iPhone repair site iRepair.in and shared with AppleInsider. They show a front glass screen the same size and design as the currently available iPhone 4.

Internal components, however, suggest the screen is accompanied by new hardware, making it a version of the handset that has not yet been announced. One noticeable change is the forward-facing camera, as the ribbon cable connected to it has changed from a small L-shaped design to one that is longer and straight.

Also pictured is the dock connector assembly of the unreleased iPhone, featuring a slight change in the connector cable and connector pins from the iPhone 4 first released in 2010. The headphone jack and power button assembly unit has also been tweaked, with a slightly modified connector pin.

iRepair also leaked alleged "iPhone 4S" parts earlier this week, reportedly obtained from Shenzhen, China. The components were said to have come from someone who identified the phone as an "iPhone 4GS."

The new parts come as a third-party Otterbox case for a next-generation handset, labeled "iPhone 4S," were leaked on Thursday by iPhone hacker "Chronic." The case itself is not shown, but the back of the packaging appears to show the volume buttons on the right side of the device, above the SIM card slot. He also claimed that Otterbox has produced 3 million cases for its initial run for the "iPhone 4S."

Leading up to an anticipated event on Oct. 4 to introduce the new iPhone, rumors have been divided as to whether Apple's next-generation handset will be a radical redesign, or something that looks largely like the iPhone 4. A number of leaked parts, including those pictured here, have shown a design similar to the current iPhone, but some have speculated that it could be an upgraded model, dubbed an "iPhone 4S," that Apple intends to sell alongside the new iPhone 5.

A week ago, The New York Times reported that Apple will soon introduce a new iPhone with a "fairly different design," lending support to rumors that the next handset will be thinner and sport a new look from the current iPhone 4. However, this week one analyst claimed that Apple will release a single new iPhone this year as it has done in years past.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    also at MR:

• Reply 2 of 34
    Weird. Article no longer appears on the main page and doesn't load with the URL.

Take down notice or glitch?

Edit: looks like it is back up. Guess they took it down to add the extra picture.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    It's looking more and more likely that there will only be ONE model to showcase on Oct 4th.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

also at MR:

What Otterbox puts on their packaging couldn't possibly have anything to do with what Apple will actually name it though.

They may turn out to be right, but this is just a guess on their part and shouldn't be taken as indicative of anything, given that Apple doesn't release names of products to it's own employees prior to launch, let alone a case manufacturer.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    The giant hole for the camera in the Otterbox case picture is indicative to me that they are making a guess and don't know the exact specs of the next gen iPhone. If they knew something, shouldn't that camera hole be more exacting?
  • Reply 6 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

The giant hole for the camera in the Otterbox case picture is indicative to me that they are making a guess and don't know the exact specs of the next gen iPhone. If they knew something, shouldn't that camera hole be more exacting?

I think the opening needs a wide margin to not interfere with the field of view since the material is rather thick.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    BULLPOPPY! What case has a slot for the SIM card?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Either it's fake or the manufacturer has decided to make a (poor) gamble on the product name.

Because there isn't even slightest fraction of a chance that the name "4S" is used for the 5th generation iPhone running iOS 5. Even if it's the same design as iPhone 4 with improvements, it's going to be called the iPhone 5.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What Otterbox puts on their packaging couldn't possibly have anything to do with what Apple will actually name it though.

They may turn out to be right, but this is just a guess on their part and shouldn't be taken as indicative of anything, given that Apple doesn't release names of products to it's own employees prior to launch, let alone a case manufacturer.

The reports mention that Otterbox did an initial run of 3 million units. That's an awfully big gamble to make on using the wrong name. It would a very expensive guess.

You are right, Apple doesn't release the name of new products to employees too early, but they do have to at some point prior to launch. If we really are just a few weeks from launch, then the boxes, packaging and collateral material will have to be being prepped now or very, very soon. And if Apple wants to ensure that there are compatible accessories upon launch, they also have to inform certain partners prior to actual launch. I have no idea if Otterbox or Speck are big enough players to qualify for that info.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Either it's fake or the manufacturer has decided to make a (poor) gamble on the product name.

Because there isn't even slightest fraction of a chance that the name "4S" is used for the 5th generation iPhone running iOS 5. Even if it's the same design as iPhone 4 with improvements, it's going to be called the iPhone 5.

Lots of rumours mention two distinct models. An iPhone 5 doesn't mean no iPhone 4S.

All just rumours for now.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbehunin View Post

It's looking more and more likely that there will only be ONE model to showcase on Oct 4th.

If we had to wait this long after the release of the iPhone 4 and all Apple gives us is some slightly redesigned iPhone 4, I'll be pissed. It would show Apple has gotten complacent and is getting dangerously close to dropping the ball.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think the opening needs a wide margin to not interfere with the field of view since the material is rather thick.

I misspoke. It's the Speck case that I was referring to:

The 2010 iPhone 4 case is on the left. The alleged 2011 iPhone case is on the right.

Mind that, if Apple does what it does in the past, they'll sell a $99 on-contract iPhone 4 in addition to the 2011 iPhone. A 2011 iPhone 4 was always in play, almost guaranteed. So, it's not as big a risk for the case makers. (They probably are on pins and needles about the volume button and ringer switch placement).
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

If we had to wait this long after the release of the iPhone 4 and all Apple gives us is some slightly redesigned iPhone 4, I'll be pissed. It would show Apple has gotten complacent and is getting dangerously close to dropping the ball.

It can't go on forever, vis-a-vis a new iPhone form factor, case design every year. Change for the sake of change has dangers all on its own.

Eventually, it may be like the iMac, MBP, MBA or MP. We could see the same iPhone case design for 3 years in a row.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

Unfortunately, that is very subjective. What would you classify as a slight redesign vs a significant makeover?

Would a completely new, redesigned form factor be enough to float your boat, even it that was just a cosmetic change? Better CPU? Double the flash? Double the memory? Bigger screen? 3D? 12 MP camera?

Everyone has different criteria for upgrading. Some need one feature/change, others need multiple, some need very minor, insignificant changes to justify an upgrade.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

The reports mention that Otterbox did an initial run of 3 million units. That's an awfully big gamble to make on using the wrong name. It would a very expensive guess.

I don't think this changes my opinion. 3 million isn't that many and it only takes a few days at most to print boxes. I still don't think they hand out the name of the product to a case manufacturer. This might be one of those times when we see these for sale a week later with a "5" sticker pasted over the 4S part.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

I don't think this changes my opinion. 3 million isn't that many and it only takes a few days at most to print boxes. I still don't think they hand out the name of the product to a case manufacturer. This might be one of those times when we see these for sale a week later with a "5" sticker pasted over the 4S part.

Very possible. But I disagree on the 3 million not being very many. To a company like Otterbox that might be a gigantic run. 3 million of anything is a pretty big run.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    Quote:

I doubt it. If OtterBox is bragging that they have made a first run of 3 million units, and then they have allowed this packaging to be released, you can be sure that OtterBox knows something. It looks like Apple's pursuit of ssecrecy has been broken, and that OtterBox is sticking it to Apple. A brave move, as I am sure that OtterBox probably originally signed a legal Non Disclosure Agreement with Apple, regarding trade secrets and unreleased products by Apple. But then again, contracts are signed and trust is made to be broken. I'm glad that I finally know well before the product is announced and well before the public was supposed to have knowledge what the next iPhone model will be. I am gong to skip the '4S' and wait until the next major model is released, hopefully within the next 18 months. I can spend the money that I was saving for a new iPhone on Christmas gifts this year. Thank you, OtterBox.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    I don't understand the notion that a slight incremental upgrade to the iPhone after this "delay" is cause to question Apple's motives.

I'm of the belief that--whether there is just a 4S, just a 5, or both--the delay until October was mainly for iOS and iCloud, not for hardware changes. They've proven they can make significant hardware design changes within their usual yearly turnaround. But they don't want to release any new hardware without the significant OS update in tandem. In that situation the new hardware wouldn't seem necessary or seem like an upgrade to the general consumer if there weren't more OS capabilities to go along with it.

Bringing iCloud and all the other new capabilities into iOS is a big change and shows the need and reason for the "delay" that we're experiencing.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Quote:

Very possible. But I disagree on the 3 million not being very many. To a company like Otterbox that might be a gigantic run. 3 million of anything is a pretty big run.

Agreed. We printed some very similar packaging recently, not including the contents, and it cost us around 50 cents a piece for only 50,000 quantity run. Once you hit the 50K quantity there is not a lot of additional price per piece saving on volume there after. So yes it would be a pretty significant gamble especially when you consider that if they don't have inside info on the name they might not have the right specs for the product itself. Too big of a risk in my opinion.

They probably know the inside scoop. There are quite a few outside contractors required for a job like that, with many employees with lots of camera phones. Difficult to keep it under wraps. You can't get anything done if you have security guards frisking people down every 10 minutes. It is cost prohibitive for small to medium size companies to work under those conditions.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

I don't understand the notion that a slight incremental upgrade to the iPhone after this "delay" is cause to question Apple's motives.

I'm of the belief that--whether there is just a 4S, just a 5, or both--the delay until October was mainly for iOS and iCloud, not for hardware changes.

It may be because Verizon got the iPhone 4 late in the cycle and they probably have an agreement that the next version would be delayed to give Verizon a chance to make back some of the subsidies before having to give the uses an early upgrade discount.