Air Drop for most all Macs that run Lion

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello all, I'm new here hope I'm not in the wrong forum.

Saw a post some where on this site about the difficulties of getting Air Drop to work on other/older Macs, Thought I'd tell every one about a Macworld article. It was posted on MacWorld.com today 9/21/11., Below is some of the article. Thought you'd be interested. I got all of my older Macs with Lion Operating system to work based on this article. Good luck ! Hope this is not illegal to do.

Use AirDrop on any Mac with Lion by Glenn Fleishman, Macworld.com Sep 21, 2011 6:15 am

"Back in July, I explained how Lion?s new AirDrop feature lets you exchange files simply between two computers with upto-date Wi-Fi hardware. As I wrote then, AirDrop is a breeze to use if you have the right Mac. You?re out of luck if your computer doesn?t have the right hardware?specifically, if it doesn't have Wi-Fi chips capable of personal area networking (PAN) for peer-to-peer connections. Many Macs, even many of relatively recent vintage and many that can run Lion, don?t have those chips and so can?t use AirDrop. (Apple provides a list of AirDrop-capable Macs here.) But, it turns out, there?s a workaround. An anonymous Mac OS X Hints reader found that, if you have one of those older Macs, you can add a setting to AirDrop?s defaults that allows AirDrop to work over regular networks, not just PANs. The change is a one-liner: Open Terminal and, at the command line, type: defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

Hit Return......."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lloken View Post

Hello all, I'm new here hope I'm not in the wrong forum.

Saw a post some where on this site about the difficulties of getting Air Drop to work on other/older Macs, Thought I'd tell every one about a Macworld article. It was posted on MacWorld.com today 9/21/11., Below is some of the article. Thought you'd be interested. I got all of my older Macs with Lion Operating system to work based on this article. Good luck ! Hope this is not illegal to do.

Use AirDrop on any Mac with Lion by Glenn Fleishman, Macworld.com Sep 21, 2011 6:15 am

"Back in July, I explained how Lion?s new AirDrop feature lets you exchange files simply between two computers with upto-date Wi-Fi hardware. As I wrote then, AirDrop is a breeze to use if you have the right Mac. You?re out of luck if your computer doesn?t have the right hardware?specifically, if it doesn't have Wi-Fi chips capable of personal area networking (PAN) for peer-to-peer connections. Many Macs, even many of relatively recent vintage and many that can run Lion, don?t have those chips and so can?t use AirDrop. (Apple provides a list of AirDrop-capable Macs here.) But, it turns out, there?s a workaround. An anonymous Mac OS X Hints reader found that, if you have one of those older Macs, you can add a setting to AirDrop?s defaults that allows AirDrop to work over regular networks, not just PANs. The change is a one-liner: Open Terminal and, at the command line, type: defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

Hit Return......."

And then you run all the computers in Gotham, right?