G4/G5 >=1Ghz When?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Okay reply with when you think Apple will crack the GHz line? Either with the G4 or the G5 but bonus points if you guess which CPU will do it.

G4 >1GHz in April

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    By the end of January. They will be G5s.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Dave Hagan ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 42
    orb24orb24 Posts: 41member
    certainly no later than the end of march g4's and g5's will both break the 1 ghz barrier. G4's 933-1.1mhz and g5's 1.1-1.6 multichip config on the top model.
  • Reply 3 of 42
  • Reply 4 of 42
    gnomgnom Posts: 85member
    G4 March (crack GHz)

G5 September (released, 1,4GHz and up)

bye.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: GnOm ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 42
    rsrs Posts: 8member
    g4 - next week or even by the end of the expo.

867 g4

1133 g4

dual 1000 g4

g5 from MWSF till/ or at MWNY.

also, the original mac was introduced in january 24 1984...makes you wonder...well it´s probably just another device for the digital hub...with handwriting recogniton...and portable!
  • Reply 6 of 42
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    [quote]Originally posted by rs:

<strong>g4 - next week or even by the end of the expo.

867 g4

1133 g4

dual 1000 g4

g5 from MWSF till/ or at MWNY.

also, the original mac was introduced in january 24 1984...makes you wonder...well it´s probably just another device for the digital hub...with handwriting recogniton...and portable!</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are dreaming if you think they are going to give 25% and 100% increses in speed within 6 months of each other. That isn't enough time to fill, then empty the distribution channels.

Also, Apple has been notorious for letting their parts purchasing contracts give away their products (look at the flat panel contract info that was all over the place months ago), as well as the timing that they clear the distribution channels of their product (generally we hear about it here a month and a half before). Motorola shows no realistic sign of a desktop "G5", and I havn't seen proof that there is a shortage of PowerMacs. Please convince me with FACTS.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    pdinopdino Posts: 6member
    i wouldn't be surprised is something came out at WWDC. seems hardware like this is well suited to that venue.

i don't know where the G5 stands right now. mosr seems to have removed some of the stuff they've reported about it.

with the g4 in the imac, it seems apple would put g5s in the next powermac line. that is, of course, if they want to have a resounding difference between the consumer and pro lines. even on just a MHz level, it seems that the G4 may be near topping out.

i don't expect any new powermacs today. tomorrow, friday. if anything comes out at quicktime or seybold, i'd go with it being a new G4. WWDC or later for G5. maybe MWNY. maybe. heh, at least apple's gotta be hoping at least then....
  • Reply 8 of 42
    Apollo G4 released at MWNY, for Titanium and iMac.

G5 released by April for the Powermacs.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    Will those be +GHz machines?
  • Reply 10 of 42
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    1Ghz, not gonna happen til 2003

G5, not gonna happen til 2006
  • Reply 11 of 42
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>Okay reply with when you think Apple will crack the GHz line? Either with the G4 or the G5 but bonus points if you guess which CPU will do it.

G4 &gt;1GHz in April</strong><hr></blockquote>

at this rate, it is yet again delayed. maybe

MWNY. they lost credibility with this launch as apple is now the boy that cried wolf too many times. overhyped and under delivered IMHO.

now, why would anyone buy a powermac now for twice the price beats me.

when you think about it, they stagger their launches based on their product matrix. imac was seriously overdue as well as upgrades to ibook. so, next in line is boost in powermacs which could be april or june.

the real problem is motorola. i would love to be a fly on the wall with jobs and motorola in that room.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>1Ghz, not gonna happen til 2003

G5, not gonna happen til 2006</strong><hr></blockquote>

2006 your F***in crazy. The g4 chip will never last that long under moto's own admission they're suprised by whatever they've got in store for the apollo.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    Feb 19th, 2002 - G4 Apollo.

SdC
  • Reply 14 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>Feb 19th, 2002 - G4 Apollo.

SdC</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah it's a low power, low heat chip bound for all in ones and pbk's, not towers.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    [quote]Originally posted by orb24:

<strong>

Yeah it's a low power, low heat chip bound for all in ones and pbk's, not towers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not entirely, the shift to SOI can give you either lower power consumtpion at the same frequency, or an increase in frequency at the same power dissipation, you most certainly will not get both at the same time. Like the current G4s it will probably come in two versions, one low power (probably no L3 cache, maybe other changes too).

Other changes in the design will yield improved per clock performance, and increased upper frequency limit I hope.

Michael
  • Reply 16 of 42
    what mmicist said. You can use the design advantages to rachet up speed, not just ratchet down power and heat.

SdC
  • Reply 17 of 42
    pcmanpcman Posts: 24member
    When they switch to x86.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    [quote]i would love to be a fly on the wall with jobs and motorola in that room. <hr></blockquote>

LOL, that would be great.

&lt;sigh&gt; I hate to admit this, but those arguing for the Apollo showing up in Powermacs, and the G5 showing up next year, they are making lots of sense.

Apple is doomed if they don't bust out a FAST CPU soon. Powermacs are rated at LESS THAN HALF the MHz of Wintels! Less than half. Altivec helps but the MHz gap is now without doubt a significant performance gap as well. The problem is that many of the markets that Apple is targeting, such as digital video editing, these markets need power, and Apple cannot deliver. It doesn't matter how great the OS, how cool the apps are, if the power isn't there, then Macs will not be able to do as many things as Wintels.

If the G5 doesn't debut soon, then the future is bleak for Apple. Imagine, a marketplace where Macs cannot do the things that Wintels do, not because of the OS, or because of a lack of apps, but because the Macs lack the performance. No amount of programming will make up for the dismal state of Mac CPU performance.

So what now? If the Apollo comes out, I can nearly guaranfu[kingtee that the powermacs will be as follows:

867, 1 GHz, dual 933.

This is still less than half that of the Pentium 4. It sure as hell won't inspire many Mac users to upgrade.

If the G5 doesn't show up in Powermacs within the next few months, I truly believe that Apple is doomed. The iMac will help, but without a professional market base, Apple will fade into obscurity.

So sad that Apple's demise will be at the hands of Motorla, a factor out of Apple's control. Apple has done everything so well...it's just not fair.

If I were in the position of Apple right now, I would be so frustrated, so angry, I'd want to just quit. It's amazing that Jobs and others at Apple find a way to keep pushing ahead with such garbage for CPUs. Because in the backs of their heads, everyone at Apple must know that no matter how well they do their jobs, macs will not be competitive with Wintels, all because of Motorola's unwillingness to supply Apple with fast CPUs.

A bitter revenge, Moto is exacting from Apple very well, in return for the Clone Wars. LOL, I bet Jobs never thought that Motorola would get him back so well for killing the clones. I don't believe for one second that Motorola is devoting as many resources as they could to PPC development. Thus, the result is that it flounders. By executive decision, PPC development lags, and Motorola tightens the vice they have around the base of Apple's nads, tighter and tighter.

What will it be next year? A third of Intel's clockspeed? A quarter? A tenth? I'm serious, if the current trends continue, there is no reason to think that PPC will be any more than a third of Intel's clockspeed.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: Junkyard Dawg ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 42
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    JyD,

You are right. It IS sad that moto is destroying Apple's market share. That is the ONE MAJOR complaint that I hear. "macs are slow" yadda yadda yadda. The G5 better come out SOON and developers better take advantage of every extra feature ALL of the chips have. We have to stay competeive here folks...

Whats the word on when the next Intel/AMD proc comes out?

Finnaly, some grounded (as oppose to baseless) FUD... I really hope it works out. Apple can't lose the high profile graphic industry...

-Paul
  • Reply 20 of 42
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    am i the only one who remembers that apple/steve's product announcement cycle is totally event driven? and don't you think a jump like g5 would need a large, public display (even moreso than a media-only cupertino event can offer)?

someone can check me on this, but that means seybold spring, macworld tokyo (march?), or wwdc in may. and steve has announced at least one decently big thing at tokyo for the past two years (or maybe three... powerbooks with usb made their debut there i think), so that's my guess. so, if the g5 exists, we'll see it at a big tradeshow. if it's speed-bumped 1+ GHz G4's, then it'll be ealrier (because why would apple sit on it with the high end imac now muddling waters with the low-to-mid range g4's -- they need some distinct gap between the pro and consumer machines again)?

wwdc had better damn well be the "photoshop on os x" show (or ealrier, i'm not picky), or else may steve have mercy on their souls.

total tangent: anyone else just a little annoyed about a spell-checker in photoshop? i mean, please, i need it running on x, i'm not setting newsletter body copy in it (though i give it two posts before someone snarks up and tells me they do this at least 12 times a day, and that i am an utter goob and this is the greatest thing since postscript... spare me). adobe, if anyone is reading this, JUST GET IT RUNNING!

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: rok ]</p>