Samsung vows to step up legal action against Apple for 'free riding' on its inventions

Comments

• Reply 61 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post

Samsung CEO failed the basic jobs of being a CEO.

As a CEO one of his main jobs is damage control. This is basic and the guy is burying Samsung in stupidity and this is how.

This is not a matter of who is right or wrong. This is damage control or in other words, trying to come alive with less losses as possible.

Samsung is not known exactly as a innovator, so, they have not a single strong patent to defend themselves. Apple on the other hand, is a strong innovator and has at least 300 patents just for the iphone and iPad. So, in court Samsung has very little chances of winning anything.

These are the scenarios they had:

1) Apple complained they were copying their stuff and asked for changes. This was previous to court action. At this time, they should have made changes. They missed their chance. This was the least loss case.

2) Apple started a court action in the US. They should contact Apple and try to settle. Instead they pushed their luck and Apple started other actions in other countries, they retaliate in all countries, using phony arguments as "the tablet idea was created in a 1969 movie" and are losing in every country.

3) Apple pissed, started to moving their processors, display, flash and memory orders from Samsung to Toshiba, Soc and other companies in Japan. Samsung is losing their major customer, Apple and a 7.8 billion dollar check every year.

And the worst part of that for them is that Tim Cook is a master of the supplies and logistic. I am sure Cook's strategy will inflict maximum damages to Samsung in all fronts, without causing any trouble for idevices production.

Resuming: instead of making some changes to their hardware and software and keep Apple as a customer, losing a couple of dollars to do that, they decided to spank Apple and lose their 7.8 billion check and at the same time, send a message to the industry on how they treat their customers.

Again, this is not a question of who is wrong or write, this is damage control.

Nice job Samsung.

Thanks for the Great Post.

I think there may be 3rd outcome that Samsung's CEO is very concerned about and that is being disgraced as a copycat manufacturer. I think public perception of a company's values and integrity may weigh heavily on the minds of their top management. Samsung's vision is to dominant (revenue, profit, mixture of products etc,) the tech industry by the end of the decade. The legal actions taken by Apple taint their self-image as being a premier company that designs and creates great products. This losing of face may be just too painfully intolerable to their ethos and pride to acquiesce to.

Also a possible 4th outcome is that Samsung must surely feel threatened by Apple in their quest in achieving world dominance in the tech sector. Apple consistently delivers great products and services that has elevated its position to the World Leader in Technology, as thought by many. This is the very position Samsung sees itself winning but must out-battle Apple to do it. So I think Samsung may see this battle over patents as the first of perhaps many battles in the years ahead for the top-dog position.

I do agree with you though that Samsung is taking a big risk to engage in battle now with Apple, especially if their chances of winning are less than 50/50 which seems likely at this time.
  • Reply 62 of 215
    When Apple threw the match to stop other manufacturers making products it started the patent wars. Problem is even for how awesome the iphone is it is only 4 years old, these competitors have been at this for far longer with deeper patents. It made since for samsung to not go after apple too hard when it was a supplier, but with apple moving away and becoming so aggressive it is now time to change stance. Style, form factor, layout; all these elements can be found in various competitors long before apple sold a single phone. Palm essentially had all three since the early 90's, and motorola was not far behind, in the end apple is waging a war not protecting its rights. Love apple products, hate apple strategy.
  • Reply 63 of 215
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And just imagine how silly it would sound if Timex were told they couldn't sell a thin watch shaped like a Rolex (round) with a glass face, a small bezel and a single button for setting the time. You're correct. That would be ridiculous.

Thanks for making my point. I guess you have never seen a Rolex knock off. It's hard to tell the difference ... Oh and they are illegal.
  • Reply 64 of 215
    I thought the Apple lawsuits against Samsung were stupid. I agreed with Samsung, how many different ways of making a tablet could there be? But, just yesterday I was in OfficeMax to get some toner and I was walking down an aisle. At the end of an aisle was a display of five different tablets. I only glanced at first then was surprised to see an iPad sitting at the end of the display. I didn't know that OfficeMax sold iPads so did a double take. It took me a moment to realize that I wasn't looking at an iPad but the Samsung tablet. It was then that I realized that Apple's claims had merit. Here was five tablets and not one of them looked exactly like the others, but the Samsung tablet would be very hard to distinguish from an iPad, not without looking closely.

So I now feel that Samsung is just trying to get a free ride off of Apple's design and whining like a little baby now that they can't get their way. Those other four tablets prove that you can make your design still be unique. I hope Samsung looses this stupid whining complaint and gets back to what they were good at, home electronics.
  • Reply 65 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cranfordio View Post

I thought the Apple lawsuits against Samsung were stupid. I agreed with Samsung, how many different ways of making a tablet could there be? But, just yesterday I was in OfficeMax to get some toner and I was walking down an aisle. At the end of an aisle was a display of five different tablets. I only glanced at first then was surprised to see an iPad sitting at the end of the display. I didn't know that OfficeMax sold iPads so did a double take. It took me a moment to realize that I wasn't looking at an iPad but the Samsung tablet. It was then that I realized that Apple's claims had merit. Here was five tablets and not one of them looked exactly like the others, but the Samsung tablet would be very hard to distinguish from an iPad, not without looking closely.

So I now feel that Samsung is just trying to get a free ride off of Apple's design and whining like a little baby now that they can't get their way. Those other four tablets prove that you can make your design still be unique. I hope Samsung looses this stupid whining complaint and gets back to what they were good at, home electronics.

Exactly. Perhaps those that argue it is the 'only design' are design challenged and cannot actually see the Ives touch. Those that argue against it probably think a MacBook Pro is the old obvious design for a laptop or a Rolex looks like any other watch. I guess you and I are just more gifted Of courser those that cannot see it perhaps don't want to as they have argued themselves into a silly position and are trying not to lose face. Kind of like Samsung.

The cops confiscate Prada and Rolex knock offs ... time to round up those Apple knock offs too
  • Reply 66 of 215
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I didn't know you could patent 'unusable, amateurish interfaces'.
  • Reply 67 of 215
    This is just like apple back in the 90's---apple innovates and then stagnates. Instead of innovating further, Apple just start getting lawsuit happy. Doesn't work.

History repeats itself.
  • Reply 68 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I didn't know you could patent 'unusable, amateurish interfaces'.

Hell yes, Microsoft have ben doing it for over thirty years.
  • Reply 69 of 215
    The term "flak" as applied to PR comes to mind.
  • Reply 70 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

This is just like apple back in the 90's---apple innovates and then stagnates. Instead of innovating further, Apple just start getting lawsuit happy. Doesn't work.

History repeats itself.

ROFL. Is this a different Apple you are talking about. Surely not the currently most innovative company on planet earth!

Note to self. Ignore trolls, on their first post in particular.
  • Reply 71 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The term "flak" as applied to PR comes to mind.

Which is countered with aluminum chaff. Apple can use some of the waste from machining those MacBook Pros.
  • Reply 72 of 215
    Quote:

History repeats itself.

So are you arguing that they are no longer innovating (again), or just that they have started to defend their innovations in court (again), or both? Do you think that innovative work should not be defended from copying?
  • Reply 73 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

So are you arguing that they are no longer innovating (again), or just that they have started to defend their innovations in court (again), or both? Do you think that innovative work should not be defended from copying?

I think you will see that their "innovation" will not hold up in court--and it really doesn't matter. They are in the process of being surpassed by their counterparts. Apple is good at starting a trend or niche, not dominating (except in simple devices like mp3 players) due to their oppressive policies. People like freedom.
  • Reply 74 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

Which iXXX products are you referring to? They paid for iCloud and iPad, that has been well documented.

If you don't know of these cases already, it may be you have automatic filter on.

Equally well documented as iCloud are the cases of Apple usurping the names iPhone, , iBooks, iPad (perhaps not in US but definitely in other countries). Everyone knew Cisco had a product called iPhone and yet Apple went ahead and used the name anyhow. Maybe they paid for the use of the name iPad in the US, but it is trademarked in various countries around the world. Apple does not appear to care.

Apple's transgressions go beyond names. The image they used for the launch of Apple TV was strikingly similar to that from the portfolio of a professional photographer. Again, Apple ignored this until they were sued.

Ever used the iPhone app Classics? Well, when iBooks was released, the developers of Classics sure found it familiar. The book collection is presented on a wooden bookcase. The contents are presented in the form of a book with pages being flipped. (You might argue - how many different ways can a book app be designed? Well, ask Apple how many different ways can a thin tablet be designed.)

Are these the action of a company that respects IP?

I love my iPhones, iPods, iPads and Macs, but the truth is Apple doesn't generally have a healthy respect for trademarks and copyrights. They assume they can buy the owners off ... often after the fact. Sometimes, they simply assume small businesses would not have the wherewithal to sue.

Just because I love my wife does not mean her farts don't stink. Just because I love Apple products doesn't mean I respect all their actions.
  • Reply 75 of 215
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Hell yes, Microsoft have ben doing it for over thirty years.

ROFL! You're quick . . .
  • Reply 76 of 215
    Quote:

I think you will see that their "innovation" will not hold up in court--and it really doesn't matter. They are in the process of being surpassed by their counterparts. Apple is good at starting a trend or niche, not dominating (except in simple devices like mp3 players) due to their oppressive policies. People like freedom.

Yes Apple's success really show how right you are ...

Last reply from me ... you are on my ignore list now (probably many times over lol)
  • Reply 77 of 215
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A Samsung executive has promised to become "more aggressive" in pursuing legal action against Apple, as the company believes the iPhone maker has been "free riding" on its patented technologies.

Does this mean Samsung will now be relocating it's corporate headquarters to east Texas?
  • Reply 78 of 215
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Thanks for making my point. I guess you have never seen a Rolex knock off. It's hard to tell the difference ... Oh and they are illegal.

Actually I have. In fact my younger brother is a recognized national expert in Rolex certification FWIW. And he doesn't base his decision on whether it's round, thin, small bezel and single button. Those are common and expected traits and not what makes a Rolex unique.
  • Reply 79 of 215
    Samsung sure feels as though they are right. Perhaps there may be some validity into what they are saying?
  • Reply 80 of 215
    Quote:

People like freedom. YES! INDEED! That's why 90%+ of the world's computers run Windows!

Maybe Apple will be surpassed one day. But can you describe how they are currently *in the process* of being surpassed?