Samsung seeks ban of Apple's iPhone, iPad in new Netherlands lawsuits

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Following through on its threat to become more aggressive in the courtroom, Samsung has filed new patent infringement lawsuits against Apple in the Netherlands, seeking to ban sales of the company's iPhone and iPad products.

The four new patent cases were filed in district court in The Hague, Netherlands, according to Macworld. Samsung's complaint takes issue with Apple's iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, first-generation iPad, and iPad 2.

Samsung has alleged that the devices infringe on four 3G patents it owns. The Korean electronics maker seeks to ban the importation and sale of all devices listed in the suit. Each of the four patents in question are represented by their own separate lawsuit.

The complaints come as Samsung has made public comments vowing the step up its own legal action against Apple. The company said in a statement earlier Friday that Apple has been "free riding" on its own patented inventions.

The complaints filed in the Netherlands are just a few of the growing number of lawsuits between Samsung and Apple. The legal battle began in April, when Apple filed a suit against Samsung in the U.S., accusing its rival of copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad.

Rumors began to swirl earlier this week that Samsung was planning more legal action against Apple in Europe and Korea. It is expected that Samsung plans to take legal action against Apple's anticipated fifth-generation iPhone, which is expected to be unveiled in an event on Oct. 4.

Samsung's more aggressive strategy follows a handful of key early legal victories for Apple. This month, the iPhone maker won a permanent ban on sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany, while the device has also been barred from sale in Australia.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    I would love to see iPhone banned in Europe. That means the waiting list for iPhone 5 here would be tolerable for once. Last year my wife waited almost 2 months. I couldn't imagine how long it's gonna take for a new PC-free iPhone.
  • Reply 2 of 55
    This is getting ridiculous. Samsung shouldn't have stooped down to Apple's levels. Trying to get your legitimate competitor's products banned is a scummy thing to do. But I can see both coming to an agreement or out of court settlement eventually.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    This patent madness needs to stop. Have we really progressed none at all since being children and screaming: "No, that's MINE!"
  • Reply 4 of 55
    I think I'll champion Samsung for a while just to change things up.

Hell, I get into the same amount of trouble no matter who I champion.
  • Reply 5 of 55
    How can you infringe on 3G patents? Pretty sure those have to be licensable. Stupid Samsung.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Dang it!

Did someone patent "a sequence of alphanumeric characters greater than 1 but less than 3 that contains an integer number in the first position and a lower case consonant that is a voiced post alveolar affricate" when we weren't looking?

gc
  • Reply 7 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Following through on its threat to become more aggressive...

It is expected that Samsung plans to take legal action against Apple's anticipated fifth-generation iPhone...

Samsung's more aggressive strategy follows a handful of key early legal victories for Apple. This month, the iPhone maker won a permanent ban on sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Germany, while the device has also been barred from sale in Australia.

Apple, as everyone knows, is innovative. It puts large sums into that innovative effort. Not to be hatin', but Samsung had detailed information about Apple's iPad and iPhone inner workings since they were a supplier of component parts. Then, Samsung came out with me-too products which just happened to be just like Apples. Rightly, Apple sought relief from the courts, and pretty much prevailed.

Apple is a very important American company and Samsung is trying to harm it. I will never buy a Samsung product as long as they persist.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Apple: Whos laughing now?

Samsung: MUMMMY!!!
  • Reply 9 of 55
    What kind of idiots run Samsung?

These really appear to be the actions of a company that's starting down the road to decline and ultimate ruin.
  • Reply 10 of 55
    OMG!! when will Samsung stop this slavish copying? Just because apple sues them for copying doesn't mean they must sue apple for copying. There is no suggestion anywhere except in the pea brained Samsung execs' minds that apple has copied or infringed on anything from Samsung.

What a bunch of losers!!!!
  • Reply 11 of 55
    Well... since Germany already put an injunction on Samsung's products, its a pretty safe bet the netherlands will follow suit.

Samsung come out screaming with guns blazing, and at the end of the day they will look the biggest fool.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomlawler View Post

OMG!! when will Samsung stop this slavish copying? Just because apple sues them for copying doesn't mean they must sue apple for copying. There is no suggestion anywhere except in the pea brained Samsung execs' minds that apple has copied or infringed on anything from Samsung.

What a bunch of losers!!!!

LOL. After all the legalese and detailed arguments, I needed a straight-no-chaser response like this. Kudos.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Take it this way, if Apples products did get banned in all these countries Samsung is trying to get them banned in (which is 1/100000000000 likely to happen), then Samsung will end up going bust anyways, since their have no one to copy.

So Samsung are effectively trying to fire their own designers.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

What kind of idiots run Samsung?

These really appear to be the actions of a company that's starting down the road to decline and ultimate ruin.

By this I mean that in a short span of time they have alienated their top customer (and the largest publicly held company out there) by obviously copying Apple's very obvious design patents (and heck, even the very color, design and arrangement of the iPhone interface.) Now they're attempting to fight back by citing FRAND encumbered patents Apple has already licensed.

No possible outcome can make up for future revenue and goodwill they will be losing.

Perhaps for their next trick, they should hire Meg Whitman as their CEO.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

How can you infringe on 3G patents? Pretty sure those have to be licensable. Stupid Samsung.

You're no quite sure about the heart of the matter, but you conclude that a gigantic corporation with access to some of the biggest and best law firms is wrong.

Somehow, I'm not as certain as you seem to be.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonComstock View Post

Dang it!

Did someone patent "a sequence of alphanumeric characters greater than 1 but less than 3 that contains an integer number in the first position and a lower case consonant that is a voiced post alveolar affricate" when we weren't looking?

gc

Well done, but I think your comment will go above most heads since most don't have a deeper understanding of phonetics.
  • Reply 17 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

You're no quite sure about the heart of the matter, but you conclude that a gigantic corporation with access to some of the biggest and best law firms is wrong.

If the patents are part of the 3G spec, they are FRAND encumbered. There is no arguing this.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Now they're attempting to fight back by citing FRAND encumbered patents Apple has already licensed.

Which of the 4 patents is subject to FRAND? How did you come to that conclusion about these specific 4 patents?
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:

Microsoft was the largest tech company, and probably has the worse lawyers.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:

Which of the 4 patents is subject to FRAND? How did you come to that conclusion about these specific 4 patents?

I can's say about these patents as they are not specified in the article. But previously they have cited patents that are part of the the 3G spec, which is FRAND encumbered. I refer to them in your quote.

These four patents are only referred to as "3G patents" which is nebulous at best.

I merely point out quite accurately that , "If the patents are part of the 3G spec, they are FRAND encumbered. There is no arguing this."