LA Times critic disparages Apple Campus 2 as 'retrograde cocoon'

1101112131416»

Comments

• Reply 301 of 305
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Sadly, it is a main bicycle route (quieter)... and none of the other routes can replace that.

... but, yes, they'd still have to use Homestead at some point anyway.

In that case, a condition to have a bicycle path through the portion between 280 and the building would make sense, and a good neighbor thing to do.
  • Reply 302 of 305
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm wondering if they are going to allow Apple to close Pruneridge. It was a hot topic at the EIR scoping meeting.

I bet they won't let it be closed and they'll make Apple come up with an alternate plan.

I expect it will go through as planed. The mayor has already said "there's no chance we're saying no," and others on the council seem equally dazeled.

While Cupertino should certainly accommodate it's largest employer and taxpayer to some extent, closing Pruneridge and any changes to zoning, are significant things to ask for. Effects on the surrounding community shouldn't be ignored, and the design has a big impact on how positive or negative those effects are. Pruneridge covers an area the size of some of the exsisting buildings, and I assume they'll need to purchase it, but haven't seen anything about that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

In that case, a condition to have a bicycle path through the portion between 280 and the building would make sense, and a good neighbor thing to do.

That might be a good idea, but it would be difficult to squeeze between the ramp to underground parking and the southwest edge of the building, so I think it's doubtful that will happen.
  • Reply 303 of 305
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dalesun View Post

That might be a good idea, but it would be difficult to squeeze between the ramp to underground parking and the southwest edge of the building, so I think it's doubtful that will happen.

Making a 12-15 foot change to the site plan before any dirt is dug should be doable all around, especially as a condition of closing the public road easement.
  • Reply 304 of 305
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dalesun View Post

I expect it will go through as planed. The mayor has already said "there's no chance we're saying no," and others on the council seem equally dazeled.

While Cupertino should certainly accommodate it's largest employer and taxpayer to some extent, closing Pruneridge and any changes to zoning, are significant things to ask for. Effects on the surrounding community shouldn't be ignored, and the design has a big impact on how positive or negative those effects are. Pruneridge covers an area the size of some of the exsisting buildings, and I assume they'll need to purchase it, but haven't seen anything about that.

It must also be noted that there will only be access to the housing development from one side when Pruneridge is closed. Not sure how much of a problem that will be. Steve's probably pissed at them for not selling.
  • Reply 305 of 305
    Another similar building is the Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) building. A British intelligence agency, this place really is locked down.

Also a four-story building, but smaller and less attractive (as Lucy Van Pelt would say, bleah.)

Look familiar?