Samsung seeks ban of Apple's iPhone, iPad in new Netherlands lawsuits

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

...Have we really progressed none at all since being children and screaming: "No, that's MINE!"

Nope, we haven't. It's basic human nature that some of us manage to suppress most of the time. Children haven't learned to suppress it yet, and lawyers never do.

Thompson
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Well done, but I think your comment will go above most heads since most don't have a deeper understanding of phonetics.

While you all slept, I acquired the the patent on 1G, so there!
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Esprit de Corps View Post

Apple, as everyone knows, is innovative.

But far from unique.

Quote:

It puts large sums into that innovative effort.

So do others.

Quote:

Not to be hatin', but Samsung had detailed information about Apple's iPad and iPhone inner workings since they were a supplier of component parts. Then, Samsung came out with me-too products which just happened to be just like Apples. Rightly, Apple sought relief from the courts, and pretty much prevailed.

The show ain't over till the fat lady sings. And now the shoe is on the other foot.

Quote:

Apple is a very important American company and Samsung

is a very important Korean company. So what? Nationality has fuck all to do with it.

Quote:

is trying to harm it.

FYI: it's called 'competition'. And if Americans had been around (they weren't) they would have invented it. So to start whining about something that is as American as apple pie is pathetic.

TBS, Americans did invent sueing and intellectual property as 'competition' mechanisms. So now they get a taste of their own medicine.

Quote:

I will never buy a Samsung product as long as they persist.

LOL!

Can you vote yet?
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Pathetic. Pathetic Apple. Pathetic VIA. Pathetic Samsung. Pathetic HTC. Just cross license and be done with it. Wasting money in court............this is getting out of hand.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Pathetic. Pathetic Apple. Pathetic VIA. Pathetic Samsung. Pathetic HTC. Just cross license and be done with it. Wasting money in court............this is getting out of hand.

Apple should cross license their design patents?

Should they cross license their logo and company name as well?

I'd say your grasp of the essential facts is a bit pathetic.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I merely point out quite accurately that , "If the patents are part of the 3G spec, they are FRAND encumbered. There is no arguing this."

Oh. That's different. Yes, if Apple has already licensed the patents, then they are not infringing on the patents.

But I thought you said "Now they're attempting to fight back by citing FRAND encumbered patents Apple has already licensed."

That's very different.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Which of the 4 patents is subject to FRAND? How did you come to that conclusion about these specific 4 patents?

The linked article at macworld states that the patents in question here are FRAND patents. Appple requested a hearing on the patents so Samsung is basically going to get some backdated licensing for the patents in question and won't get the injunction against Apple's products. It will at least help them pay their other legal fees against Apple
  • Reply 28 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The linked article at macworld states that the patents in question here are FRAND patents. Appple requested a hearing on the patents so Samsung is basically going to get some backdated licensing for the patents in question and won't get the injunction against Apple's products. It will at least help them pay their other legal fees against Apple

I read it. It does indeed say that.

I was impressed with the quality of the writing and the amount of information included. The issues and the stakes are presented with depth and reason. Thanks.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

Microsoft was the largest tech company, and probably has the worse lawyers.

Considering Apple lost its UI case against them, I wonder what that implies?
  • Reply 30 of 55
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Way to pick the most inapposite case. How about stepping a little closer to the present.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Samsung is going to pursue a suit against the iphone 3gs which is a 2 year old model.

I thought patent law said something like if you don't take action within a certain time frame then the patent loses some of it's exclusivity, that is that the design is in the public domain.

Thinking that will hurt sammy's cause.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    What I presume apple has assessed is that their patent portfolio is going to help with

- advantage of hindering a competitor in a certain market(s) through patent claims

Vs

- potential of apple itself being hindered in a market through a competitor's patent claims

Given apple's arguably greater market share and mind share in many (most?) markets, they potentially stand to lose more than gain by playing this game.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

It means that Apple began to register and patent its 'innovations' properly, and to hire better lawyers. And it means that "Metro" will remain a clunky clunker.

Cheers
  • Reply 35 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Does licensable mean free?

Does Apple have a receipt of their payments to Samsung?

Are the specific patents in question completely part of a FRAND agreement?

If all of the above are true, then it would seem Samsung is indeed blowing hot air and will be slapped into submission by the judge.

But if any of the above are not true, there may be a case.

If all the patents are FRAND, then the judge could determine they were infringing, but most likely Apple would just end up having to pay back licensing fees and obtain a license for going forward, which Samsung cannot deny them as part of the whole FRAND thing. So I'm not exactly sure why Samsung is even trying to say they are trying to get an injunction here.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

You forgot S3 and Motorola
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Therbo View Post

Take it this way, if Apples products did get banned in all these countries Samsung is trying to get them banned in (which is 1/100000000000 likely to happen), then Samsung will end up going bust anyways, since their have no one to copy.

So Samsung are effectively trying to fire their own designers.

And, they will have no one to sell their iPhone components to.

Cut nose, spite face, whatever......
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

I'd say your grasp of the essential facts is a bit pathetic.

So is your reply.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, they will have no one to sell their iPhone components to.

Can't see that eating into their revenues, though! Have you seen the pace at which Samsung is selling phones and tablets? Have you seen the rate at which the installed Android user base has inflated? It is now about 3 to 4 times the size of iOS'. Ignore it at your peril.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    [snip]