Samsung shop features Apple's App Store, Safari icons on decorative app wall

Comments

• Reply 41 of 255
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCupertinoMDN View Post

How much will it cost to hire some local South Korea thugs to "teach" Samsung executives some lesson??

In US, you can pay somebody some $20-baggies and get a lot of things done "off the record", if you know what I mean.

In China, couple hundred US dollars can get tons of thing done. However, murder-for-hire may cost a bit more.

Here you can get it done for less than $100. You're overpaying.
  • Reply 42 of 255
    This seems way to blatent even for samsung. this can't be real. They have never used any icon close to the apple app store so why would they stupidly post it on to a wall. Come on this is too blatent.
  • Reply 43 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I'd ask the exact same questions.

Except you're not. He is. And you're completely ignoring him again. It's a pretty simple concept: someone asks a question, you answer. Twelve year olds get schooled in this when they start to rebel and eventually they shape up.

Honestly, this must be terribly embarrassing for you, not having the wherewithal to answer a simple question.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

this can't be real.

Except it is.

ALTERNATE RESPONSE!

You're right. Samsung's products aren't real iDevices.

ALTERNATE RESPONSE!

No problem, they don't really innovate. It's all kosher.
  • Reply 43 of 255
    Quote:

Reposted with additions.

Is this display furnished by Samsung? Are the back wall graphics also supplied by Samsung, assuming that any of the display comes direct from them, or are those elements a part of the retailers decor, perhaps repeated on other walls removed from Samsung's display? What does the rest of the retailers shop look like?

Did the company producing the graphics receive the proper releases before creating them? If all the elements were contracted by Samsung, did they have releases to use each of the logos for marketing purposes? Is this an official Samsung-designed and supplied sales area or one created by the retailer to display Samsung products?

Not nearly enough known to make any judgement.

Pathetic excuses. I love this.

And yes, I used to design this kind of thing. My design always need to be approved by shop's owner.. in this case: Samsung. Not only that, most of the time there were design guidance from the client's latest advertising campaign you need to follow like what kind of tone of color, what kind of pictures, what kind of font etc. And this is only with local company. A global corporation? They dictated you everything.

Definitely stay away from Samsung now.
  • Reply 45 of 255
    Quote:

Asking pertinent questions is not the same as giving a pass. Why are you so quick to claim they're guilty. . of something. With nothing more to go on than a photo taken inside another retailer's store? Seriously.

I've worked with General Growth, one of the largest mall developer's in the world, for over 15 years. I've set up 100's of store displays and related signage/messaging, including in-store kiosks within other stores. Worked in cities from Savannah, GA to Pembroke, FL, handling in-mall promotions for 17 different properties. In nearly every instance I've had to deal with, the contract seller within the store has little to say about what is in the background of their area. They pay for a certain square footage for a certain term. Sometimes a 3rd party provider supplies the display elements. Other times the store itself handles setup and requires the 3rd-party staff to work from their facilities. At other times the seller handles every detail, including setup. And often a company like mine is contracted to design/produce/install the design elements.

In this case you have little idea what you're talking about. IMHO, you simply missed the part of the story that mentioned the display was within another retailers's store when trying to correct me, then tried to cover with an 'authoritive" post. There is no "rule" about how the contract seller handles the display/setup requirements. It varies with circumstances, thus the reason for the questions I posed.

Good post.

I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't want a new Windows 8 display set up in a Best Buy with Apple logos all over it. I would think Microsoft would have some control over the display... even if someone else was installing it.

If this is indeed the failure of a 3rd party... it kinda highlights Samsung's attention to detail... or lack thereof.

Hell... Apple digs up the sidewalk in front of their stores so the cracks in the concrete line up with the seams in the glass.
  • Reply 46 of 255
    Quote:

This seems way to blatent even for samsung. this can't be real. They have never used any icon close to the apple app store so why would they stupidly post it on to a wall. Come on this is too blatent.

You'll never know what those---- South Korean Samsung executives are capable of

Deleted insults.
  • Reply 47 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except you're not. He is. And you're completely ignoring him again. It's a pretty simple concept: someone asks a question, you answer. Twelve year olds get schooled in this when they start to rebel and eventually they shape up.

Honestly, this must be terribly embarrassing for you, not having the wherewithal to answer a simple question.

Yes. I'd ask the same questions, treating them both identically.

Why the tinge of arrogance tonight? Unusual for you.

EDIT: I think I see the problem. You took my answer as a question posed for Mel. It was not. "I'd ask the same questions" refers to the questions I asked regarding the Samsung display. Is that pretty much it?
  • Reply 48 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Good post.

I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't want a new Windows 8 display set up in a Best Buy with Apple logos all over it. I would think Microsoft would have some control over the display... even if someone else was installing it.

If this is indeed the failure of a 3rd party... it kinda highlights Samsung's attention to detail... or lack thereof.

Hell... Apple digs up the sidewalk in front of their stores so the cracks in the concrete line up with the seams in the glass.

Guessing how it works is a bit different than being there. There's no statement I've seen that Samsung had anything directly to do with the display. Certainly conceivable that their only input was giving the retailer permission to use their logo, and perhaps a co-op check. And it's also certainly possible that Samsung set everything up themselves and requested Apple logos be placed behind the displays.

That's why I ask questions before passing judgement. It's something some others should consider trying.
  • Reply 49 of 255
    And, to borrow a quote from Steve, "lacking in taste".
  • Reply 50 of 255
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    You have selective memory. How it really happened was that Apple was willing to pay Nokia all along. Nokia, however, wanted Apple to pay more then Nokia charged other members of the standard body, and Nokia wanted to further discriminate against Apple by requiring Apple to license some of its non standards body iPhone patents.

Apple said no way. Nokia sued. To Nokia's dismay, things in the lawsuit were going Apple's way; Nokia continued to bleed market share; and Nokia decided to hitch its wagon to Microsoft.

As such, Nokia backed down and agreed to accept a reasonable royalty. Apple allowed Nokia to save face and licensed it a few insignificant patents that Nokia will likely not rely on in the future being that it is going Windows 7.

So called experts were saying Apple might have to pay Nokia potentially billions in back payments. Apple paid 600 million, which Apple was likely willing to pay from the onset.

I am not so sure things will work out the same with Samsung. Apple never initiated a suit against Nokia. Apple, however, really dislikes Samsung's blatant copying of its products. Samsung also seems to lack common business sense. Samsung also has a lot more money then Nokia.

If Samsung was smart, it would have agreed to alter the design of its Android offerings to be less Apple like. Apple is giving Samsung 8 billion a year, all of which is at risk now. Further, that 8 billion helped off set the cost of Samsung's Android offerings. Samsung is stupid to pick an unnecessary fight with one of its biggest customers.

Quote:

Apple already had a FRAND licensing exercise with Nokia. Rather than take a chance in court, Apple paid up, threw in a few Apple patent licenses to Nokia, and every one went away happy. The same will happen here (sans rights to any Apple patents)

• Reply 51 of 255
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Asking pertinent questions is not the same as giving a pass, and how Apple does retail has no bearing on this. Why are you so quick to claim Samsung guilty. . of something. With nothing more to go on than a photo taken inside another retailer's store? Seriously.

I've worked with General Growth, one of the largest mall developer's in the world, for over 15 years. I've set up 1000's of store displays and related signage/messaging, including in-store kiosks within other stores. Worked in cities from Savannah, GA to Pembroke, FL, handling in-mall promotions for 17 different properties. In nearly every instance I've had to deal with, the contract seller within the store has little to say about what is in the background of their area. They pay for a certain square footage for a certain term. Sometimes a 3rd party provider supplies the display elements. Other times the store itself handles setup and requires the 3rd-party staff to work from their facilities. At other times the seller handles every detail, including setup. And often a company like mine is contracted to design/produce/install the design elements.

In this case you have little idea what you're talking about. IMHO, you simply missed the part of the story that mentioned the display was within another retailers's store when trying to correct me, then tried to cover with an 'authoritive" post. There is no "rule" about how the contract seller handles the display/setup requirements. It varies with circumstances, thus the reason for the questions I posed.

No, you're wrong here. I know a lot about copyrights, trademarks and patents, as I've had to deal with them for my own companies. If some company wants to allow some third party do this, and is willing to take the responsibility of paying the costs if something is shown that isn't allowed, then good luck to them. But a company doesn't have to sign away their rights. They do have the right to require approval. And truthfully, its stupid not to do so. if they don't, then its a bad contract. Your clients must be pretty ignorant of the laws involved.

And for a major company the size of Samsung involved in a large number of lawsuits around the world over copyrights, trademarks and patents, it's awfully stupid to not check it out first.

And I see that you really don't want to answer that simple question. You must be squirming, sitting in front of your keyboard. it's just too much to ask of you, isn't it? A simple yes or no. You can't manage that, but you can write an entire sentence about why you won't answer it.

Samsung is guilty of stupidity. It's pretty obvious. They can't even make the excuse that they never saw it, as they have the picture on their own site, as i said before. The question is why you are so deadset against admitting it. They can't make the claim they didn't see the logo's.
  • Reply 52 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

You have selective memory. How it really happened was that Apple was willing to pay Nokia all along. Nokia, however, wanted Apple to pay more then Nokia charged other members of the standard body, and Nokia wanted to further discriminate against Apple by requiring Apple to license some of its non standards body iPhone patents.

Apple said no way. Nokia sued. To Nokia's dismay, things in the lawsuit were going Apple's way; Nokia continued to bleed market share; and Nokia decided to hitch its wagon to Microsoft.

As such, Nokia backed down and agreed to accept a reasonable royalty. Apple allowed Nokia to save face and licensed it a few insignificant patents that Nokia will likely not rely on in the future being that it is going Windows 7.

So called experts were saying Apple might have to pay Nokia potentially billions in back payments. Apple paid 600 million, which Apple was likely willing to pay from the onset.

I am not so sure things will work out the same with Samsung. Apple never initiated a suit against Nokia. Apple, however, really dislikes Samsung's blatant copying of its products. Samsung also seems to lack common business sense. Samsung also has a lot more money then Nokia.

If Samsung was smart, it would have agreed to alter the design of its Android offerings to be less Apple like. Apple is giving Samsung 8 billion a year, all of which is at risk now. Further, that 8 billion helped off set the cost of Samsung's Android offerings. Samsung is stupid to pick an unnecessary fight with one of its biggest customers.

It may not be the smartest thing Samsung has done. Hard to say what the final outcome is going to be. Apple and Samsung may just eventually let all the lawsuits go. Apple may completely replace Samsung as a supplier. Samsung might get out of the tablet business altogether.

BTW, Apple did initiate a suit against Nokia too for patent infringement. Both the cases were settled with the Nokia/Apple agreement.
  • Reply 53 of 255
    Either way, it shows the difference between Apple and Samsung. Apple scrutinizes everything bearing its name. Apple would want to see the display before it being allowed to be presented. heck, Apple turns down free Intel money just because it doesn't Intel's crappy stickers on its products.

Quote:

Guessing how it works is a bit different than being there. There's no statement I've seen that Samsung had anything directly to do with the display. Certainly conceivable that their only input was giving the retailer permission to use their logo, and perhaps a co-op check. And it's also certainly possible that Samsung set everything up themselves and requested Apple logos be placed behind the displays.

• Reply 54 of 255
    Quote:

I'd ask the exact same questions.

Exact same question as what? You aren't asking any questions. The same questions I'm asking?
  • Reply 55 of 255
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure it's some mistake. Apple made a similar mistake when in their lawsuit, some artist stretched an image of the Tab to fit the image box. They thought they were doing the right thing, because the Tab probably looked so much smaller than the iPad, that they thought they would "fix" it.

I've come across this all the time. Even in my own company I've seen artists make that mistake, and had to have it corrected.

But Apple's lawyers never caught it.

The same thing is happening here. Some dumb dumb used those logo's, or icons without thinking.

But the problem here is the same as with Apple. Someone should have looked it over carefully. And they didn't.
  • Reply 56 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, you're wrong here. I know a lot about copyrights, trademarks and patents, as I've had to deal with them for my own companies. . . Your clients must be pretty ignorant of the laws involved.

Since you don't even know who the client was (Euronics or Samsung?), why are you rushing to assume it's Samsung? And no I don't think you know near as much about trademarks and copyright as I do, dealing with it every day for 29 years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

And I see that you really don't want to answer that simple question. You must be squirming, sitting in front of your keyboard. it's just too much to ask of you, isn't it? A simple yes or no. You can't manage that, but you can write an entire sentence about why you won't answer it.

Read back a few responses Mel, it was answered twice. Yes, I'd ask the same questions whether it's Apple, Samsung, or Mel's Poker Bar.

This is just like the gps discussion we had months back. More than once you were mistaken (but authoritive!) there too, and not once did you admit you were wrong about any of the misstatements. Just let this one go. You made a simple mistake whether you can admit it or not. It's no big deal unless you make it an issue. No one else cares.
  • Reply 57 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCupertinoMDN View Post

You'll never know what those ----- South Korean Samsung executives are capable of

Ok, no racial insults here. I've deleted them. Don't do that again.
  • Reply 58 of 255
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Good post.

I remember Steve Ballmer showed Windows 7 on a TV show once, and in the background it had a picture of a MacBook.

Samsung are blatently trying to pretend that all their products are the iPhone, iPad etc and mislead customers.

For example, their new slogan for their crappy 50 models of tablets are "A New Tab" , or "The tab that changed the tablet", alot of customers think that the iPad changed the way tablets are made and how we use them, so think "Hey that must be them tablets everyones buying now-a-days"

How many tablets has Samsung released in the last 6 months? Like 10, and like 15 Galaxy phones,

I've really lost count at what Galaxy 952952 there at now.
  • Reply 59 of 255
    True, but in my opinion, that doesn't count. That is standard operating procedure when defending a patent lawsuit. You pull out your guns, and file a counter complaint alleging the other party is violating some of your patents. For instance, that is what HTC and Samsung have done after Apple has filed suits against them. It is why Google is trying to acquire patents. HTC and Samsung wouldn't be suing Apple had Apple not sued them first.

Motorola acted kind of differently in that it filed a preemptive suit knowing Apple was going to sue it.

I doubt Apple was going to sue Nokia unless Apple was sued because 1) Nokia wasn't knocking Apple off terribly, 2) Nokia wasn't using Android; and 3) Nokia's products based on sales weren't a threat to Apple.

Quote:

BTW, Apple did initiate a suit against Nokia too for patent infringement. Both the cases were settled with the Nokia/Apple agreement.

• Reply 60 of 255
    Quote:

That's why I ask questions before passing judgement. It's something some others should consider trying.

No, you haven't asked any questions. now, you're making light of it.

All I'm saying is that they should have checked it, and it's dumb to not have. That's true for any company.