Apple blacking out vacation days during second week of October

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is quietly denying requests for employee vacations during the second week of October, hinting that the company currently anticipates an influx of customers to its stores around that time related to availability of its new iOS 5 and fifth-generation iPhone products.

More specifically, the iPhone maker has in some locations blacked out vacation time for employees from October 9th through 12th and October 14th through 15th, according to people familiar with the matter.

Potential iOS 5.0 Release Date

The first block of dates -- the 9th through the 12 -- could pertain to the release of iOS 5 for existing iOS device owners on Monday the 10th. As AppleInsider reported last week, certain segments of the company's AppleCare divisions have been told to prepare for an influx of iOS-related inquiries on that same day.

Twitter has also scheduled a developer event and a pair of "Developer Teatimes" for Oct. 10 and Oct. 12 with a "heavy focus" on the social service's tight integration with iOS 5, further suggesting that Apple's non-disclosure terms covering the new mobile OS will have been lifted by then via a public release of the software.

Issuing a major iOS release a few days prior to launching new iPhone that will also leverage the software is not unexpected. For instance, last year Apple released iOS 4.0 on June 21st and then rolled out the iPhone 4 on June 24th. And a year earlier it launched iOS 3.0 (then dubbed iPhone Software 3.0) on June 17th and then followed up with the iPhone 3GS on the 21st.

Potential iPhone 5 Release Weekend

Assuming hints of an iOS 5.0 release around Monday, October 10th prove accurate, the second block of retail blackout dates -- October 14th and 15th -- could signal availability of the fifth-generation iPhone hardware by that Friday.

With Apple rumored to hold a media event to first unveil its fifth-generation iPhone plans on October 4th, that would give the Cupertino-based company roughly 10 days to field pre-orders ahead of an official launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    After the iPad 2 launch, i'll not going to be surprised if there are no preorders or reservations
  • Reply 2 of 44
    Dear god, how fucking long is it going to take. Every week it's further and further out the release.

My 3gs is barely functional. I will never not upgrade yearly to the new model every again.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

My 3gs is barely functional. I will never not upgrade yearly to the new model every again.

And my first-gen is perfectly functional?

What are you people doing with your iPhones?
  • Reply 4 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And my first-gen is perfectly functional?

What are you people doing with your iPhones?

Using them?
  • Reply 5 of 44
    So we'll hear about the event next week, right?
  • Reply 6 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Using them?

If you meant 'as phones', touché.

If you meant 'at all', so am I. Every day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Personally at this point, the only thing that I'm concerned about is just getting that invite out there.

I'm ITCHING to start mindlessly deconstructing it in Photoshop (with various false-color filters), measuring the size of the Apple logo on it, comparing that to existing devices, and coming to baseless conclusions about future products based on the logo and the (obviously cryptic) one-liner used as the announcement.

That's probably my favorite part of the rumor community.

No jokes, I love seeing people do that.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm ITCHING to start mindlessly deconstructing it in Photoshop (with various false-color filters), measuring the size of the Apple logo on it, comparing that to existing devices, and coming to baseless conclusions about future products based on the logo and the (obviously cryptic) one-liner used as the announcement.

That's considerably more effort than any tech analyst puts into their baseless conclusions.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:

Using them?

Battery is in BAD shape. Phone just dies when it hits 48%.

Yes, I have tried re-calibrating etc Nothing fixes it. Using an iphone with 50% battery power availble is a HUGE pain in the ass

Replacing the battery myself looks like a very delicate operation, so that's not an option.

Paying $75 to replace battery on a 2yr old phone is a waste at this point...
  • Reply 9 of 44
    Quote:

Yes, I have tried re-calibrating etc Nothing fixes it. Using an iphone with 50% battery power availble is a HUGE pain in the ass

Replacing the battery myself looks like a very delicate operation, so that's not an option.

Why didn't you get Apple to give you a new phone? They test the battery, if it's holding a charge below the acceptable threshold for number of cycles they will replace it on site. I've had them do this for many iPhones, iPods, and Macs over the years.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    Quote:

Okay, I respect that. I can understand that.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Strange. Mine works great. Gets better reception then my friends and family on AT&T with iPhone 4s.

Quote:

Dear god, how fucking long is it going to take. Every week it's further and further out the release.

• Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:

Invitations should go out, with event scheduled dor following week. Keep in mind Apple is building up inventory for the launch. Each additional day is an extra 150000 units. By now they should have around 10 mil ready to go.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    You can pay $25 for a do it yourself kit that includes the necessary tools. The phone itself is still selling for about $200. It is a no brainer. If you really can't do these types of repairs yourself, you can pay somebody to do it for $50, which included shipping.

Update: I found the kit with tools even cheaper. $20.

Quote:

• Reply 14 of 44
    Quote:

Seriously. My 3GS' runs like crap under iOS 4 and I cannot wait forever to upgrade this slow thing.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Seriously. My 3GS' runs like crap under iOS 4 and I cannot wait forever to upgrade this slow thing.

OK, now you're just trolling. Because I have the exact same phone and it has never run like crap. Ever. Even with the latest OS updates.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

OK, now you're just trolling. Because I have the exact same phone and it has never run like crap. Ever. Even with the latest OS updates.

Mine runs pretty crap too. Not unusably crap, but something happened at a dot release which has certainly slowed it up.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Apple just broke their 2 weeks iOS beta release cycle. The last beta was released more than 3 weeks ago. The GM release should be within two weeks now. I expect the GM will be announced and released at the event. Maybe there are few things about iOS 5 Apple did not tell anyone about
  • Reply 18 of 44
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Using them?

Why don't you put it in a gigantic ugly protecting case so it never ages, but never get any benefit out of how slim and slick it is?

Never understood that Same folks who put plastic on their couch so they stay looking good
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:

Considering you can sell it on the open market for $200, I'd disagree.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

lol cmon, you think every phone runs the same? Seriously?