Apple may hold iPhone 5 event in smaller venue on Cupertino campus

Comments

• Reply 81 of 114
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

You saying you don't (think you) see people use it doesn't prove anything either. You see the person across the street with the headphones playing with the device in their hands, how do you know they're not on a phone call at that moment? I doubt you're actually asking these strangers about their usage, you're just assuming. So what we have is a bunch of users directly saying they use it, you saying you use it, and you saying you haven't confirmed many other people using it.

I didn't say it was proof. I am asking for proof, one way or another. I'm saying people talking capability seems fishy, like a talking point.

Someone with headphones but not talking for long periods, but still being on the phone, is possible, but seems like an unlikely story
  • Reply 82 of 114
    Quote:

Have you lived under a rock for the past 4 years? The ads with Luke Wilson where the other guy had two phones so he could talk and web? The ad with the guy at the office working late whose wife calls about their anniversary dinner? These ads are EVERYWHERE and have been for years.

If you haven't noticed those ridiculously carpet-bombed ads, it's not surprising to me that you haven't noticed people talking while using their iPhones for other things.

That doesn't say anything in itself, Luke Wilson is annoying and I usually skip his ads. The few ads of his I've seen mention the feature, but as one of many features, not say, the whole ad for itself.
  • Reply 83 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Here is another anecdote: I've never used my external display port on any Mac notebook I've owned. Yet I don't think Mac notebooks would be better by not having that option for those that do use it.

I didn't say it would be better without, so no, your analogy doesn't fit as you state. If you said, most people wouldn't be worse off without it, then it would fit what I said. Not that I know it's true.

Quote:

I can't imagine not having the option for simultaneous voice and data. If Verizon and Sprint don't offer a solution then I will remain on AT&T. There is no better option for my needs.

Their 4G phones do appear to offer it now.
  • Reply 84 of 114
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I didn't say it was proof. I am asking for proof, one way or another. I'm saying people talking capability seems fishy, like a talking point.

You're a smart guy, so why are you bothering to ask for something that you surely know does not exist? Just trying to argue?
  • Reply 85 of 114
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Perhaps this could also indicate that the products being unveiled will be smaller and less impressive than we had hoped. An iPhone 4 with a faster GPU isn't really going to be worth renting an enormous conference room for.

I doubt it. Why have a media event in the first place then? Usually a new CEO likes to make changes that reflect his style. Apple's new CEO may want to simply get the media used to coming to their campus. Especially since they'll have a new campuse later this decade.
  • Reply 86 of 114
    Quote:

You're a smart guy, so why are you bothering to ask for something that you surely know does not exist? Just trying to argue?

I don't understand the accusation. I thought you just argued that such information probably does exist. It wasn't to start a long argument. I do find that assumptions need to be challenged on occasion.

The closest I've found is this:

http://testkitchen.colorado.edu/proj...tphone-survey/

It almost seems like they wanted to ask the question but didn't bother.
  • Reply 87 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Perhaps this could also indicate that the products being unveiled will be smaller and less impressive than we had hoped. An iPhone 4 with a faster GPU isn't really going to be worth renting an enormous conference room for.

I think you are right that the 'event' will be smaller, but not because of the technology. My guess is that it confirms that Steve will not be presenting. Too bad.

Another Steve
  • Reply 88 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't understand the accusation. I thought you just argued that such information probably does exist. It wasn't to start a long argument. I do find that assumptions need to be challenged on occasion..

You thought I was arguing that the information exists? I was just saying that people do it, and that fact is self evident based on the people who have to put their money where their mouth is (ATT) probably having better information than forum posters.

You're arbitrarily challenging an assumption for which we've seen no evidence to the contrary. Have fun with that. The "data" you want doesn't exist, so you'll either be unsatisfied or you'll acknowledge that the reality already makes the answer clear. People use it, ATT markets it as a differentiating factor, and all the anecdotes you've heard here tonight support it.
  • Reply 89 of 114
    Wasn't it last year when the iPhone4 was introduced that Steve got so frustrated with all the interference? Maybe these next phones have a lot more reliance on cloud services and didn't want any complications so they could show off the features?
  • Reply 90 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by euler View Post

Wasn't it last year when the iPhone4 was introduced that Steve got so frustrated with all the interference? Maybe these next phones have a lot more reliance on cloud services and didn't want any complications so they could show off the features?

Yeah, good logic. Or.... they could just not provide public wifi hot spots. Probably too hard for Apple to get a hold of a Microcell.

They're going small for simple reasons, not complicated ones.
  • Reply 91 of 114
    The reason Apple will use the Cupertino campus is Oracle Openworld is scheduled for October 2-6 and uses every Moscone property, hotel, etc. The event is massive and would not allow for press to stay downtown prior to the event.
  • Reply 92 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vegasapple View Post

The reason Apple will use the Cupertino campus is Oracle Openworld is scheduled for October 2-6 and uses every Moscone property, hotel, etc. The event is massive and would not allow for press to stay downtown prior to the event.

That and Apple has never used anything from Moscone for anything but WWDC since they stopped going to MacWorld and was never going to use Moscone for this event at any point.
  • Reply 93 of 114
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Yeah, good logic. Or.... they could just not provide public wifi hot spots.

They're going small for simple reasons, not complicated ones.

It wasn't that Apple provided any wifi when that problem cropped up, it was people who brought their own myfi devices and clogged up all of the wireless channels and spectrum which had nothing to do with bandwidth issues of the backend network that Apple was trying to utilize. There were hundreds of cellular hotspots causing the interference.
  • Reply 94 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It wasn't that Apple provided any wifi when that problem cropped up, it was people who brought their own myfi devices and clogged up all of the wireless channels and spectrum which had nothing to do with bandwidth issues of the backend network that Apple was trying to utilize. There were hundreds of cellular hotspots causing the interference.

Ah, it's been too long. Anyway that's fine, it's a private event, so simply coat check those devices at the door (cell phones and all) like it's a courtroom. Or custom configure the stage iphones to operate on a private frequency somehow.
  • Reply 95 of 114
    Quote:

Ah, it's been too long. Anyway that's fine, it's a private event, so simply coat check those devices at the door (cell phones and all) like it's a courtroom. Or custom configure the stage iphones to operate on a private frequency somehow.

That and we'll only have the media there, which likely won't be more than a hundred people.
  • Reply 96 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That and we'll only have the media there, which likely won't be more than a hundred people.

Yep. I've never understood the point of launching these things in huge convention halls. The ONLY difference is huge rounds of applause vs normal applause. After 5 minutes have passed, the size of the applause has nothing to do with public reception of the device in question. Why not save the money and do it in your own room? How many millions are those rounds of applause worth?
  • Reply 97 of 114
    Quote:

Yep. I've never understood the point of launching these things in huge convention halls.

WWDC is for developers. 5,000 people can't fit in Apple's auditorium.

Everything else is at Yerba Buena, which is basically in between.
  • Reply 98 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WWDC is for developers. 5,000 people can't fit in Apple's auditorium.

Everything else is at Yerba Buena, which is basically in between.

I guess I'm just not in an industry dominated by conventions. I don't see why a huge convention hall needs to be rented just so a bunch of dummies can sit and listen to a speech. That information is then disseminated to hundreds of millions electronically. What difference does it make if 5000 or 50 are IN the actual room where it's happening?
  • Reply 99 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Hmmm...small venue = small announcement. We will probably only see an iPhone 4S this year.

I believe the original iPod was announced at a small press gathering on Apple's campus. Of course, Apple didn't know it would take the world by storm and lead to Apple's prosperity in the post-PC era.
  • Reply 100 of 114
    True or not, it doesn't really matter as long as they livestream the event. Everyone in the world will know about the release same day or the next day at the latest.