Apple may hold iPhone 5 event in smaller venue on Cupertino campus

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't expect Apple to be promoting the longer acronyms.

I wonder how many people would really care about that bit. Using voice and data simultaneously would require using a headset, which I've almost never seen anyone use, or speakerphone, which is really telling the other end that you hate them.

I do it all the time.
  • Reply 102 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I do it all the time.

Me too. I almost always have my Shure in-ear phones on so one could only tell if I was on a call if I were talking to the cabled mic dangling just below my face. Usually my time on the phone is spent on hold with some call center or another waiting where I entertain myself by accessing various internet-based apps.

I'm quite sure I sure I'd miss it because every now and then I end up in an EDGE '2G' area when I make/take a call and therefore unable to effectively access these apps. It makes it crystal clear how important simultaneous voice and data means to me.
  • Reply 103 of 114
    Apple's Town Hall located around IL4 is a bit small IMO for a proposed big event like iPhone5 introduction. Funny thing is that almost everyone jump on the bandwagon saying Apple will announce either iPhone4S or iPhone5 around October. We all will know for sure when we get the invitation from Apple about the event.
  • Reply 104 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Luke Wilson is annoying and I usually skip his ads.

sounds like you secretly love Luke Wilson
  • Reply 105 of 114

But of course, old chaps... As I postulated previously in the delightful Tim Cook thread:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It's too late for the 27th... It would be quite last minute for Apple.

Quote:

Apple might do it at their own campus to keep things tightly under wraps...Maybe because it's Cook's first big "do" they might keep it at Apple so they have max control over the presentation and hardware... Keeping the guest list highly selective, that will drive the frenzy and hype up even more than if they had a big venue.

• Reply 106 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by euler View Post

Wasn't it last year when the iPhone4 was introduced that Steve got so frustrated with all the interference? Maybe these next phones have a lot more reliance on cloud services and didn't want any complications so they could show off the features?

Very, very good point.
  • Reply 107 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I guess I'm just not in an industry dominated by conventions. I don't see why a huge convention hall needs to be rented just so a bunch of dummies can sit and listen to a speech. That information is then disseminated to hundreds of millions electronically. What difference does it make if 5000 or 50 are IN the actual room where it's happening?

See above. Basically you want just the right size... Not too small, 50 is too small to fit all the "big media names" in, but of course 1000 may be more than is necessary to disseminate the information.

Right, now, Apple could sell tickets for $500 a pop just for the iPhone unveiling and get 5,000 people easy. But that's not how Apple rolls.

Their strategy is this:

1. "Engage" ie. maintain good relationships with key traditional local and international media, plus bloggers.

2. Highlight key features of iOS5 and reveal iPhone5 and iPhone4S (replacing iPhone3GS)

3. Talk about availability and rollout eg. China perhaps

4. Manage Tim Cook's first big show

5. Leading up and through this all maintain top security control and top connection (WiFi, Cell, etc.) control.

Taking all these factors into account a few hundred people is just about the right number. You can't have it be too exclusive, because then the bloggers will be bitching about not being allowed to attend rather than writing about the product.

Again, I am leaning towards the event being held on Apple's campus because as is being noted Yerba Buena and Moscone are already booked for the likely dates, and Apple wants maximum proximity and control for this one. iPhone has good momentum but iPhone 5 should be maximised in terms of how all the other players are imploding. Followed up with the sucker punch of iPad 3 to set Apple storming into 2012-2013 and the global financial apocalypse.
  • Reply 108 of 114
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Again, I am leaning towards the event being held on Apple's campus because as is being noted Yerba Buena and Moscone are already booked for the likely dates. . .

Yerba Buena is available according to this schedule of events.

http://www.ybca.org/calendar?date%5B...10&date%5Bmax%
  • Reply 109 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yerba Buena is available according to this schedule of events.

http://www.ybca.org/calendar?date%5B...10&date%5Bmax%

The above shows events which take place in many different areas of Yerba Buena, but fair enough it's only clear that Moscone is likely unavailable ( http://www.moscone.com/site/do/event/list ... not likely Apple would squeeze in around those dates).

Has anyone actually tried calling up Yerba Buena to ask what's happening during the proposed dates at their main theatre space where Apple holds their announcements?
  • Reply 110 of 114
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Here's what 9to5Mac claims to positively know about the soon-to-be-revealed latest iPhone.

What's 9to5's batting average been? I don't know how reliable their claims have been.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/26/the-new-iphone/
  • Reply 111 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Here's what 9to5Mac claims to positively know about the soon-to-be-revealed latest iPhone.

What's 9to5's batting average been? I don't know how reliable their claims have been.

Haven't read the article yet: I'm just saying this as an overview.

When they say it's from Mr. X, it's right. They DO have a source in Apple, and he's pretty far up there.

Otherwise, they're rereporting stuff just like everyone else does. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but if they don't say it's from Mr. X, that's what the post is.
  • Reply 112 of 114
    Ai could post an update that simply said "the" and you would get 10 pages of heated debate. Let it go, people. Let it go.
  • Reply 113 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

Ai could post an update that simply said "the" and you would get 10 pages of heated debate. Let it go, people. Let it go.

It's pronounced THEE! "THEE egg!" "THEE completely nonsensical and blown out of proportion debate!"
  • Reply 114 of 114
    Quote:

Again, I am leaning towards the event being held on Apple's campus because as is being noted Yerba Buena and Moscone are already booked for the likely dates, and Apple wants maximum proximity and control for this one. iPhone has good momentum but iPhone 5 should be maximised in terms of how all the other players are imploding. Followed up with the sucker punch of iPad 3 to set Apple storming into 2012-2013 and the global financial apocalypse.

Boom! Apple in tight control with Tim Cook on home ground.