Rumor: Apple reduces iPad 2 orders by 25%, could drop price

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

There is something deeply fishy with these reports.

A Shift from 17 to 13 million is a huge alteration -- and not the kind of screw-up we've ever seen from Tim Cook. I can only imagine two possible explanations:

1. the report is complete BS spread by someone selling AAPL short.

2. they actually will update the iPad this quarter... something I highly doubt (they rarely deviate from their product release cycle that much, and would gain little as the iPad 2 is still selling well).

I agree with both. One thought on #2, though -- there is something to be said for going for the jugular in the tablet market. Suppose Apple introduces an iPad 3 (or 2+) and cuts the price of the iPad 2 (Similar to what we expect with iPhone 5/4S and a discounted 4). That could put another big nail in the coffins of the competition.

Also, there's reason #3 --- Europe is going straight to hell (economically speaking). Apple might be seeing or anticipating soft demand from that.
  • Reply 22 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Stock pump and dump.

Exactly.

All year they have done this.

Q1:

Ipad 2 is late.

Steve jobs will die within 3 weeks

Jonathan Ive will move to UK

Q2

Less iPhone/Ipad demand

Earthquake in japan stops production of iPhone/ipad motherboards

FoxConn plant explode. iPad can be produced.

Apple has to pay billions to Nokia for patents

Imac delays

This is how they have managed to value Apple 1/4 then what they did 2008.

2008 = P/E 60

2011 = P/E 17 (trailing P/E 12. With money P/E 9)

P/E about 12 is stupid for a company that have grown 63% average last five years. APPL have beat expectations last 28 quarter in a row.

90% of Apple users does not plan of change brand on their products. Every 12-36 month these people upgrade their phones and computers. Apple just need to convince a couple of percent per year to switch to Apple product to continue their mad growth.

Apple long term is another thing. Steve is like nobody else. I wish that Ive had been the new CEO.
  • Reply 23 of 104
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErosLWS View Post

... I haven't touched my iPad 2 in over 2 months; I'm hoping iOS 5 changes this.

...and I use my first generation iPad every day, making it one of the most useful tools that I have ever owned. Don't need iOS 5 for that.
  • Reply 24 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinh View Post

Remember this from a few years ago-

http://www.businessinsider.com/2008/...-analyst-aapl-

"Apple has cut its calendar Q4 iPhone production plans significantly more than originally estimated, according to a report by Friedman Billings Ramsey analyst Craig Berger."

Apple released the iPhone 4 soon after. Apple is getting ready to into the iPad 3.

Apple introduced the iPhone in early 2007 and released it in mid 2007, in 2008 it released the iPhone 3G, then in 2009 it released the iPhone 3GS and in 2010 it released the iPhone 4.

All those releases happened mid year and NOT short after the fourth calendar quarter, which would be the beginning of the next year.

Or is this just SPAM?
  • Reply 25 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

There is something deeply fishy with these reports.

A Shift from 17 to 13 million is a huge alteration -- and not the kind of screw-up we've ever seen from Tim Cook. I can only imagine two possible explanations:

1. the report is complete BS spread by someone selling AAPL short.

2. they actually will update the iPad this quarter... something I highly doubt (they rarely deviate from their product release cycle that much, and would gain little as the iPad 2 is still selling well).

Calling out BS on this report as well(!)

At some point in time this stuff is gonna have to be regulated and the stock-manipulators caught and sentenced. Regardless of Apple, this kind of BS is ruining the financial markets and trust world wide.
  • Reply 26 of 104
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    My belief is that they may be bringing on new suppliers. However, the world economic outlook is pretty grim, Apple with their supply chain expertise would be the first to shut down any potential exposure.

They may be seeing their inventory rise above x days. they don't want to be left with a few millions tabs when the next one comes along.

Disclosure: I hold no stock and am basically thinking aloud.
  • Reply 27 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Calling out BS on this report as well(!)

At some point in time this stuff is gonna have to be regulated and the stock-manipulators caught and sentenced. Regardless of Apple, this kind of BS is ruining the financial markets and trust world wide.

These kind of reporting have already been investigated recently (insider). Nothing came out of it. These guys (and the banks) are way to powerful.

I do think people should be cautious when it comes to AAPL at this point, if global economy slows down further (especially in China), demand for both iPad and iPhone could slow.
  • Reply 28 of 104
    ... for Apple to add multiple users to the iPad.

Was hoping I'd finally see it with iOS 5 but I have my doubts.

Need to be able to log in and check my email, calendar, address book, iTunes playlists and Safari bookmarks and my wife needs to be able to do the same when she uses it. Same for guests.
  • Reply 29 of 104
    The upcoming Amazon tablet is diluting the market. Apple needs to assess the fallout.
  • Reply 30 of 104
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    This is an adjustment indicating the iPad 3 is close to being released. Given the initial shortages of the iPad 2, and delays in the retina display for the iPad 3, this is not that surprising (though for many analysts who never get things right to begin with, it is surprising).
  • Reply 31 of 104
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErosLWS View Post

Personally, I haven't touched my iPad 2 in over 2 months; I'm hoping iOS 5 changes this.

I barely use mine at all, in fact only on saturdays...

...because M-F my wife has it. I only get it saturday 'cause i tech an early morning class that day and I can leave with it while she is still asleep.

Feel free to send yours to me. I will give it a good home where it is loved.
  • Reply 32 of 104
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Gosh, missed this from mid-August: Apple supposedly dumping LG and turning to Samsung (and CMI) for remaining iPad2 display needs? LG reportedly having too many quality issues.

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/08/1...isplay-issues/
  • Reply 33 of 104
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    It doesn't make sense to me. Why would Apple cut the price of their iPad AND lower the number of units being produced That feels like a sellout?

I think iOS 5 will make the iPad sexy again. It will make the Post PC era truly happen (there will be no need to connect your iPad/iPhone/iPod (touch) to a computer ever again. Having said that, I am looking forward to the new iPod concepts.
  • Reply 34 of 104
    I don't think Apple has ever set prices based on demand. Or the presence of cheap, inferior alternatives.
  • Reply 35 of 104
    If this report is actually true, couldn't they simply be winding down production of the iPad 2 because they have enough supply to get them through the holidays? They wouldn't want to end up with ten million unsold iPad 2's when they launch the iPad 3 early next year, after all.
  • Reply 36 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

...and I use my first generation iPad every day, making it one of the most useful tools that I have ever owned. Don't need iOS 5 for that.

What exactly do you do on it that is intrinsically easier than on your Macbook, AppleTV, and iPod? (I mention those three because I own them.)

I've found surfing the web is easier, it feels natural, but if I'm running SPSS and Excel on my Mac, I'm already on the computer so convenience defeats ease of use. My favorite thing is to use the iPad as a vacation device; it's great to take with me on a plane and into a hotel. Once there, I can transfer all my images to my iPad from my DSLR whenever I get back to the hotel from a trip out. This is where I see iOS 5 being unbelievably useful. And yes, gaming is pretty kick ass on the iPad but I um....prefer getting out; why play a snowboarding game when you can actually snowboard? Why play an FPS when you can actually go out to a range or go hunting?

I guess my problem is with people claiming it's some magical productivity device. It's a luxury item or an adult toy, and a pretty good one at that. I am happy with my investment, I just have other priorities.
  • Reply 37 of 104
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

It doesn't make sense to me. Why would Apple cut the price of their iPad AND lower the number of units being produced That feels like a sellout?

I think iOS 5 will make the iPad sexy again. It will make the Post PC era truly happen (there will be no need to connect your iPad/iPhone/iPod (touch) to a computer ever again. Having said that, I am looking forward to the new iPod concepts.

Where do you see the iPad 2 with a price cut?
  • Reply 38 of 104
    Amazes me people think reports like this couldn't possibly credible. Europe is turmoil with consumer confidence falling through the floor. Do you think when people are worrying about debt, job security and making ends meet they are going to continue blowing money on high-end luxury products like the iPad and iPhone? The US is in awful shape too with consumers also feeling the pinch and confidence way down. So many people are cutting back on their spending, I believe it's impossible for Apple not take a hit from all this turmoil.

Anyone buying or holding onto Apple shares at current prices is a hell of lot braver than I am.
  • Reply 39 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

These kind of reporting have already been investigated recently (insider). Nothing came out of it. These guys (and the banks) are way to powerful.

I do think people should be cautious when it comes to AAPL at this point, if global economy slows down further (especially in China), demand for both iPad and iPhone could slow.

They've been talking down Apple since 2006. It's beat every estimate including the absurdly bullish ones.

Sorry, but quality is actually getting the lion's share of the profits in this new world versus the old race to the bottom PC world.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Amazes me people think reports like this couldn't possibly credible. Europe is turmoil with consumer confidence falling through the floor. Do you think when people are worrying about debt, job security and making ends meet they are going to continue blowing money on high-end luxury products like the iPad and iPhone? The US is in awful shape too with consumers also feeling the pinch and confidence way down. So many people are cutting back on their spending, I believe it's impossible for Apple not take a hit from all this turmoil.

Anyone buying or holding onto Apple shares at current prices is a hell of lot braver than I am.

I've held mine since 1996.