New Amazon Kindle Fire tablet said to be slower version of RIM's PlayBook

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Here comes the so much hyped "iPad Killer".

Why would Amazon settle for that?

who called it the iPad killer?
  • Reply 22 of 80
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I am left wondering what RIM has to say about this. Don't they have any IP interest in their own design? Unless unlike Apple, RIM writes "Designed in China, Made in China" on the back of their device. Is a fabricator like Quanta free to take the template of whatever they make for someone else and repurpose it for another client? Something is missing here.

Yeah, I know, the Playbook is not counted a big success, but still . . .

Yes, Apple uses outside designers as well which is why you see copy cat.products in the market fairly quickly
  • Reply 23 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Yes, Apple uses outside designers as well which is why you see copy cat.products in the market fairly quickly

100% bull.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Since there is no such thing as a tablet market, and only an iPad market, its not surprising share did not rise around that time.

Apple explained it in their earnings report for that quarter. They were supply constrained.

THANK YOU! Exactly. Apparently RIM , HP and others don't get this.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Since there's not a single word in that post that is correct, I'd say no.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Seems like it ought to perform and sell about as well as the Nook, which has been doing pretty well, AFAIK.

In fact, I bought my Dad a Nook for his birthday, since I couldn't afford to spring for an iPad (which he would have loved, BTW). He likes it fine, plays Angry Birds, downloads and reads books.

But it's a completely different thing from an iPad. It might be an "Android" tablet in the same sense a color Kindle would be, but it's simply not the same kind of device as an iPad. That's not to say that lots and lots of people aren't satisfied to pay less to get a targeted subset of iPad functionality, but all this talk of a color Kindle taking a bite (or not) out of iPad sales seems to just be a case of category confusion, IMO.

A color Kindle will be what it is and do what it does. It'll compete with the Nook, but it won't have much to do with "Android tablet sales", except for people who want to see a meaningless number inflated, and it really won't have much to do with the fortunes of the iPad.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Seems like it ought to perform and sell about as well as the Nook, which has been doing pretty well, AFAIK.

In fact, I bought my Dad a Nook for his birthday, since I couldn't afford to spring for an iPad (which he would have loved, BTW). He likes it fine, plays Angry Birds, downloads and reads books.

But it's a completely different thing from an iPad. It might be an "Android" tablet in the same sense a color Kindle would be, but it's simply not the same kind of device as an iPad. That's not to say that lots and lots of people aren't satisfied to pay less to get a targeted subset of iPad functionality, but all this talk of a color Kindle taking a bite (or not) out of iPad sales seems to just be a case of category confusion, IMO.

A color Kindle will be what it is and do what it does. It'll compete with the Nook, but it won't have much to do with "Android tablet sales", except for people who want to see a meaningless number inflated, and it really won't have much to do with the fortunes of the iPad.

I cannot truly disagree. But I also wonder ... how many iPad owners really only need a Nook or Kindle Fire? For email, web surfing, e-reading, movie watching, etc., the original single-core iPad was quite fine. So why wouldn't the Kindle Fire also be serviceable?
  • Reply 28 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:

I don't even know that it will count in Google activation numbers, unless it's compatible with Google services. According to an official Google statement from earlier last year:

"The Android activation numbers do not include upgrades and are, in fact, only a portion of the Android devices in the market since we only include devices that have Google services.”

http://forums.appleinsider.com/archi.../t-112765.html
  • Reply 29 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

No - in fact, pains were taken to say exactly the opposite:

Block wrote, "I wouldn't get my hopes up that this is going to be an iPad-killer -- nor do I think Amazon really intends it to be."

I wasn't replying specifically to what that Block guy wrote, he sounds a bit more reasonable than the stuff that some analysts are saying. Some are even calling the Amazon tablet a game changer. And the term "iPad KIller" does get thrown out a lot. Those people deserve mocking for their sheer stupidity and cluelessness.

Quote:

For that matter, there are people supporting families in this world for whom $200 is the difference between surviving and being out on the street.

Then those kind of people shouldn't be buying any tablets at all, not even a $99 TouchPad in a firesale.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

who called it the iPad killer?

Approximately 400,000 people on Google.

If I search for "iPad killer" + Amazon tablet, I get 400,000 results.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...w=1145&bih=944
  • Reply 31 of 80
    The kind of person that would actually fall for buying into this Kindle crap would be my 61 year old mother, but thankfully she has me around to steer her right...
  • Reply 32 of 80
    Where there's smoke there's FIRE!
  • Reply 33 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That in no way means 400k people called this an iPad killer. No correlation at all.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I am left wondering what RIM has to say about this. Don't they have any IP interest in their own design? Unless unlike Apple, RIM writes "Designed in China, Made in China" on the back of their device. Is a fabricator like Quanta free to take the template of whatever they make for someone else and repurpose it for another client? Something is missing here.

Yeah, I know, the Playbook is not counted a big success, but still . . .

Tablets (and smartphones) are increasingly like PCs. They only look different on the outside. As it stands now, if you take away Apple and Samsung, which tablet or smartphone vendor truly stands out with their hardware design underneath the *skin*?
  • Reply 35 of 80
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I cannot truly disagree. But I also wonder ... how many iPad owners really only need a Nook or Kindle Fire? For email, web surfing, e-reading, movie watching, etc., the original single-core iPad was quite fine. So why wouldn't the Kindle Fire also be serviceable?

Sure. People will spend less on a limited subset of functionality, especially when the technology is relatively new and there's not a more general sense (and later, expectation) of a general purpose machine.

Once that expectation takes hold, buying a crippled little thing to save money will seem less appealing. I expect to be getting my dad an iPad next year-- the Nook was sort of an experiment to see if he'd actually take to using a touch screen. The Nook can then be relegated to sort of "big iPod Touch" status for casual game play (although of course with less functionality).
  • Reply 36 of 80
    Quote:

Sure. People will spend less on a limited subset of functionality, especially when the technology is relatively new and there's not a more general sense (and later, expectation) of a general purpose machine.

Once that expectation takes hold, buying a crippled little thing to save money will seem less appealing. I expect to be getting my dad an iPad next year-- the Nook was sort of an experiment to see if he'd actually take to using a touch screen.

When the iPad 3 comes out in Jan or Feb, you can get him an iPad 2 at a good discount.
  • Reply 37 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

sorry, let me rephrase that..who, who actually matters, called the Kindle tablet (rumored to be running a forked heavily customized version of a pre-honeycomb Android version) an iPad killer?
  • Reply 38 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

When the iPad 3 comes out in Jan or Feb, you can get him an iPad 2 at a good discount.

I really want an iPad but despite it's abilities I need it to act more like a computer than an iPhone...I can't wait until Apple completes the mesh of iOS and OS X+ in coming years...that kind of tablet would be super amazing.

I'll probably end up with a Windows 8 tablet though...maybe Android but that's the least likely scenario.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    Quote:

No - in fact, pains were taken to say exactly the opposite:

Block wrote, "I wouldn't get my hopes up that this is going to be an iPad-killer -- nor do I think Amazon really intends it to be."

For that matter, there are people supporting families in this world for whom $200 is the difference between surviving and being out on the street.

If they are, they have no business buying something so pointless when there are bills to pay. Think before you post
  • Reply 40 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by itsalive View Post

If they are, they have no business buying something so pointless when there are bills to pay. Think before you post

Actually having the money required to purchase items is overrated. Charge it to a credit card and never pay it off! That's the American Way?!