Nielsen: Apple's iOS holds at 28% in US as Android rises to 43% smartphone share

Comments

• Reply 81 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

On the front page of Verizon.com right now, you'll see this:

I don't see them giving away any iPhones for free.

How can anybody get upset with me for pointing out that Android is not a premium brand. They're giving away some of the damn phones for free, LOL.

When somebody gives shit away for free, then they shouldn't be surprised if that devalues their brand.

And it's not just on Verizon, it's everywhere. That's how they move Android phones. Yes, a few people are buying the more expensive Android phones too, but many people are attracted to Android because they're poor and flashing the words "FREE" and "BOGOF" in front of a poor person is a sure fire way to get them to choose your phone.

You must be a child. I have seen plenty of ads that give away older (less capable) iPhones for free with a new subscription. Of course some older Android phones will be give away just like older iPhones. You do not see many high end Android phones given away for fee.

I guess some Apply fan boys (and I stress boy) will never accept reality....
  • Reply 82 of 121
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

The Android Market app hides all apps not compatible with your phone or not available in your country.

What can I tell you, but apparently he had been directed to other sites (before he finally went to the Android Market site) from which he could download apps to his computer.

Again, my point was not to upstage so much the difficulty he had getting an app for his Android, but the enormity of selection that is apparently available today.
  • Reply 83 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

how much of that is made up? what app has six versions of itself in the Android market for different handsets? if an app isn't available for a certain phone/features set/OS version then the app won't even show.

All of it. It would help if the original claim actually mentioned the app and the phone model - don't you think
  • Reply 84 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

On the front page of Verizon.com right now, you'll see this:

I don't see them giving away any iPhones for free.

How can anybody get upset with me for pointing out that Android is not a premium brand. They're giving away some of the damn phones for free, LOL.

When somebody gives shit away for free, then they shouldn't be surprised if that devalues their brand.

And it's not just on Verizon, it's everywhere. That's how they move Android phones. Yes, a few people are buying the more expensive Android phones too, but many people are attracted to Android because they're poor and flashing the words "FREE" and "BOGOF" in front of a poor person is a sure fire way to get them to choose your phone.

One problem... Why is it that the highest selling android phone on Verizon is not on that picture. In fact why is the highest selling android phone in the US, the droid bionic that has a MSRP of only 299.99, yeah thats a hundred more then the entry level iPhone 4. That seems weird that these people are spending more on that android phone when the iphone is cheaper.
  • Reply 85 of 121
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

lol what? oh you mean the people who can ask "hmmm something isn't right about this Samsung display, maybe there's something we aren't seeing here." Or do you mean the people who are like "Metro UI has been in use by microsoft for almost 20 years, how is MS copying Apple with it's usage of white on black in menus in Windows 8?"

So the rational folk iPhan and non iPhan alike? because if you notice the true trolls (i.e. APPLE IS TEH SUCK ANDROID ROOLZZZ) are ignored by us (I assume you mean me, Gator, Conrad, stelligent, anyone who isn't anti anything not Apple)

Also...I can disprove your statement...that's the beauty of forums...if you reference occurrences within the forum those can be confirmed or debunked.

The average thread goes like this:

- Apple Insider - Competitor to Apple did such and such

- fan 1: lol fail, they are poor, dumb ugly, losers

- fan 2: I know right...hahahahahhaha

- fan 3: ahahhaha yes

- fan but rational: eh, this is really a non story as these pieces of evidence indicate

- non fan, but appreciator quotes fan 1 - offers more evidence disproving theory

- fan 4: TROLLLLLL

----rinse...repeat.

Except your "rational" folk rarely get around to actually parsing the story at hand because they're too busy chortling about how pathetic the fan boys are, how utterly without merit the typical AI article is, what a colossal ass DED is, etc.

Like I say, not sure what the appeal of spending time on this forum is. The articles are always going to strike you as hopelessly one sided, the response from the long term members as buffoonish. So what's your deal? Aren't there any tech forums with smart, balanced discussion where your wits can be tested? Or is that you only feel up to shooting what you consider fish in a barrel? And how does that not make you lazy and self indulgent?

To put it another way, from your perspective your participation here is like you and a couple of buddies hopping on the short bus with a permanent smirk glued to your face, constantly yelling out "Good one, genius!" and "You must be a scientist, you have glasses!" So who chooses to do that?
  • Reply 86 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Except your "rational" folk rarely get around to actually parsing the story at hand because they're too busy chortling about how pathetic the fan boys are, how utterly without merit the typical AI article is, what a colossal ass DED is, etc.

Like I say, not sure what the appeal of spending time on this forum is. The articles are always going to strike you as hopelessly one sided, the response from the long term members as buffoonish. So what's your deal? Aren't there any tech forums with smart, balanced discussion where your wits can be tested? Or is that you only feel up to shooting what you consider fish in a barrel? And how does that not make you lazy and self indulgent?

To put it another way, from your perspective your participation here is like you and a couple of buddies hopping on the short bus with a permanent smirk glued to your face, constantly yelling out "Good one, genius!" and "You must be a scientist, you have glasses!" So who chooses to do that?

I'm here because I can be...I enjoy the discussions...

If there wasn't a lot of misinformation in the commentary I probably would never have joined...but after years of being alerted to Android based topics on my RSS feed from this site and seeing extreme levels of misinformation from the writers and in the commentary, I decided to join to at least offer a fair side to the discussion. I read Android sites all the time but since Android sites rarely focus on anything other than Android (and if they do they are hardly as negative) I just read and move on as there's often nothing to say and just information to take in.
  • Reply 87 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

What can I tell you, but apparently he had been directed to other sites (before he finally went to the Android Market site) from which he could download apps to his computer.

You are telling me that someone that could not figure out that the icon in their app drawer called market was not the market, instead went into settings found and checked the setting to allow third party apps (other sites, not Android Market) to be installed. Clicked Ok on the HUGE warning and disclaimer saying that your are now vulnerable to unknown sources and you take sole responsibility for continuing with this, then navigated to a third party app site and tried to install some apps. I don?t buy it.

And you don?t download apps to your computer. You click install on apps only available to your listed devices and it is installed remotely to your device.
  • Reply 88 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ratero View Post

You are telling me that someone that could not figure out that the icon in their app drawer called market was not the market, instead went into settings found and checked the setting to allow third party apps (other sites, not Android Market) to be installed. Clicked Ok on the HUGE warning and disclaimer saying that your are now vulnerable to unknown sources and you take sole responsibility for continuing with this, then navigated to a third party app site and tried to install some apps. I don?t buy it.

And you don?t download apps to your computer. You click install on apps only available to your listed devices and it is installed remotely to your device.

when you first boot up an Android device (as far as I can tell any one regardless of skin) the Market icon is on the main homescreen. lol.

So his story if obvious BS.
  • Reply 89 of 121
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    "Google made them all accessible. Both are good for people."

I am curious as to how you defend this.

Do you know what google sells? Who their customers are? They sell you, to companies. How is that good? Ever?

If Apple sent thank you notes to customers they would say something like "thank you for buying stuff you really like from us."

If google sent thank you notes to users (not customers, you are not a customer) they would say "thank you for letting us invade your privacy and steal your personal information and sell it to companies that will pester you until you die. Shame you get a poorly made phone with that."

How exactly is that good for anyone with two brain cells to bang together?
  • Reply 90 of 121
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

Uggh.

Cue all the old rehashed arguments:

1) Android users are poor unemployed welfare bums who all got their phones on BOGO deals. Let's ignore the fact that all the best selling Android phones cost the same as the iPhone on contract. Let's also ignore the fact that the fact that this argument implies a very high rate of poverty in the United States.

2) I've never seen an Android so the stats are clearly cooked. Let's ignore the fact that the only time I ever notice another phone is when it is an iPhone. Let's also ignore the fact that this isn't Google reporting this statistic but a third party.

3) Android's don't make money for their manufacturer. Let's ignore the fact that HTC and Samsung are reporting record profits in their mobile businesses owing to their Android sales and let's also ignore the fact that the companies that are doing poorly in the mobile market are the ones who are heavily dependent on feature phone/dumbphone sales with poor selling Androids.

I don't even know what the point of these stories are any more. Or why I bother reading the comments (maybe I'm too hopeful for some intelligent non-raging fanboy comments on AI).

This pretty much covers everything. I've used an android device (an HTC Vision, aka G2), and I've used an iPhone 4. Neither platform is vastly superior to the other; they each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Quote:

In a lot of ways Android seems to me to be a more a copy of Symbian than of iOS. Stock Android on my Nexus One reminds me a lot of my Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic.

Heh, I too am an ex-symbian user, and I definitely see the similarity between android and S60. A lot of people like to point to the pre-iphone blackberry-clone android prototype and claim that google copied iOS, however that doesn't make sense at all if you think about it.

The screen was expanded, touch capability improved, and widgets were added, but the core of the UI was already in place before iOS came out. The status bar and notification system is largely unchanged. The concept of desktops and the app drawer was already in place. the 'menu-driven' system that a lot of apple fans like to point to is still there; hence why one of the dedicated buttons on android devices is [MENU].

That is why I can never take the claim that android is a copy of iOS seriously.
  • Reply 91 of 121
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Further to that, there seems to be the assumption in these parts that if you use a single item not made by Apple or are critical of Apple in any way that you are automatically an Apple hater. It's absurd.

For all the criticism about Android being for geeks, I am often struck by the religious undertones with which some folks approach the choice of mobile platform. Some here sound like the Jehovah's Witness that bug me way too early on Saturday morning.

What of the assumptions you are making with that post?

They go beyond absurd into psychotic, paranoid delusional.
  • Reply 92 of 121
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ratero View Post

Are they the same HUGE warnings that everyone who buys an Amazon tablet MUST agree to before using their store?

Doesn't that open a HUGE security hole?
  • Reply 93 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

"Google made them all accessible. Both are good for people."

I am curious as to how you defend this.

Do you know what google sells? Who their customers are? They sell you, to companies. How is that good? Ever?

If Apple sent thank you notes to customers they would say something like "thank you for buying stuff you really like from us."

If google sent thank you notes to users (not customers, you are not a customer) they would say "thank you for letting us invade your privacy and steal your personal information and sell it to companies that will pester you until you die. Shame you get a poorly made phone with that."

That's not really what happens though is it? That's some sort of fear monger exaggeration isn't it?

I'm well aware I am Google's product. But the methods they sell their products are not straight forward. They don't sell Tommy David Donna and Jill they sell compositions of data compiled by algorithms.
  • Reply 94 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What of the assumptions you are making with that post?

They go beyond absurd into psychotic, paranoid delusional.

No they don't. He was obviously being purposefully general. If you feel it doesn't apply to you then it doesn't. (It does apply to you though)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Are they the same HUGE warnings that everyone who buys an Amazon tablet MUST agree to before using their store?

Doesn't that open a HUGE security hole?

Does that even make sense to you?
  • Reply 95 of 121
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

. . .Do you know what google sells? Who their customers are? They sell you, to companies. How is that good? Ever? . . .

Apple also sells you to advertisers. It's just not the largest focus of their business nor as successful (yet?). It will really jump in importance and focus once they roll out their own branded location/mapping services.
  • Reply 96 of 121
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

You must be a child. I have seen plenty of ads that give away older (less capable) iPhones for free with a new subscription. Of course some older Android phones will be give away just like older iPhones. You do not see many high end Android phones given away for fee.

I guess some Apply fan boys (and I stress boy) will never accept reality....

Most Android phones are cheaper off contract than the 3GS, here in the UK ( and across the world). Off contract is the only way to properly measure the cost of a phone. The fact is simple. iPhones are expensive. Even the 27 month old model is expensive. Something like £428. the IP4 is (from)£510. Modern Android phones sell for £200, or less. Not top of the range, but ridiculously cheaper than a 3GS.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...co=MjU1NTYyNDA

All of this will be reflected in the price of any contract.

If Apple reduce their prices they will take back a huge segment of that market. Think about it. Two models make up 26% of the US market. 4-5 models, with two cheap models, will take 40%. That's inevitable.

iMessage will help too, as it saves money on SMS. And locks people in as they have friends who use it, so they have to - although here in the UK BBM has that market sown up, unless someone builds a bridge between the two platforms.

Quote:

The screen was expanded, touch capability improved, and widgets were added, but the core of the UI was already in place before iOS came out. The status bar and notification system is largely unchanged. The concept of desktops and the app drawer was already in place. the 'menu-driven' system that a lot of apple fans like to point to is still there; hence why one of the dedicated buttons on android devices is [MENU].

if your primary interface with a phone is multi-touch then it is a totally different phone to a Symbian.
  • Reply 97 of 121
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    ...and in other news Porsche sales hold as Kia sales rise.
  • Reply 98 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

I went to the websites of a couple of carriers, and found these:

So you're right, "free" is everywhere.

On a very expensive contract with O2 - the iPhone 4 is "free", but the contract is £40 a month, so the cost close to £1000 ( about $1,500), so that is what you are paying. You dont get unlimited data with that in the UK.

Androids are free with much lower costing contracts.

PAYG phones are big in the UK. The off contract iPhone is massively expensive ( see my previous post). If there is a sub £300 phone - which may not happen this refresh, Apple will take that market.
  • Reply 99 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

...and in other news Porsche sales hold as Kia sales rise.

True, and I have been arguing that point. On the other hand Apple needs to maintain platform share.
  • Reply 100 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

True, and I have been arguing that point. On the other hand Apple needs to maintain platform share.

Lol the iPhone is not a porche if any Android is a Kia. Some? Definitely. But to generalize like that is purposefully dishonest.

The HTC sensation is not a Kia. The g2x is not a Kia. The Motorola cheapo is a Kia.