Facebook for iPad app may launch at Apple?s Oct. iPhone 5 event ? report

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Facebook's highly-anticipated iPad application is reportedly set to launch at Apple?s upcoming iPhone 5 media event after being delayed because of negotiations between the two companies.

Facebook will launch the iPad application and an updated iPhone app at the Oct. 4 event, Mashable reported on Monday. Recent reports suggested that Apple will announce the fifth-generation iPhone next Tuesday and that the event will be hosted on Apple?s campus, although the Cupertino, Calif.-based company has not yet issued press invites for the keynote.

On Monday, Facebook's former lead developer for the iPad app, Jeff Verkoeyen, revealed that he had left the social networking company in part because of personal frustrations at the slow progress made by the company after the project reached the feature-complete stage in May. The feature-complete phase is usually the final step before beta tests can take place.

In June, it was reported that the Facebook for iPad application would launch in weeks. iOS users even found access to the app hidden inside the current version of the iPhone app in July, but the social networking giant quickly blocked access to it.

The app?s repeated delays were explained by Mashable?s sources as stemming from a ?combination of timing and strained relationship with Apple.? Recent disagreements over Facebook integration in iOS and Facebook Connect support in Apple's Ping social music service are believed to have contributed to the growing tension between the two companies.

Given that the original iPad was announced more than a year and a half ago, the fact that Facebook has yet to release an iPad app has been viewed by some as a slight to Apple. Several reports have suggested that the company held the native iPad app as leverage in negotiations with Apple.

The forthcoming update to the Facebook for iPhone app is expected to offer ?design and speed improvements that mimic the iPad app,? the publication noted.

Facebook is also rumored to unveil its own HTML5-based mobile app store, currently known by the codename ?Project Spartan,? at the Apple event. Project Spartan is said to be a mobile platform that will offer developers the means of porting Facebook apps to mobile devices via HTML5-based web apps.

First rumored in June, the project has reportedly gained Apple's support. According to Monday's report, the company apparently decided not to announce it at last week?s F8 developer conference so as not to distract from new Facebook features such as the Timeline and the Facebook Open Graph.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    For me, the less Facebook, less Twitter, less ads, less outside crud, the better. Also leary of some of the new cloud stuff. Like idea of OTA updates, and cloud photos... The rest.... Brrrrrh. Your milage may vary.

Signed, Nervous Nelly Luddite.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

For me, the less Facebook, less Twitter, less ads, less outside crud, the better. Also leary of some of the new cloud stuff. Like idea of OTA updates, and cloud photos... The rest.... Brrrrrh. Your milage may vary.

Signed, Nervous Nelly Luddite.

I couldnt care less about facebook. But twitter is a cool tool. Especially for real time news events. Really helps spread the word that normal news channels don't cover. IMHO.

FB sucked before. But now with all the changes, it's even more invasive and annoying. I predict it gpes the way of myspace within a few yrs.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    That's great!

Though there are many people are using Google+...
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Honestly, who cares? I don't.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    I see this as even more likely if Facebook receives Twitter-like integration into iOS 5's GM.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    I think the delay in getting this out reflects worse on Facebook than it does on Apple. Sitting on this app won't hurt Apple's bottom line, it will hurt Facebook's users. I doubt they care. I think Facebook needs to watch out because an awful lot of its users actually don't like being Facebook users, they are just hooked into something they don't want/can't to break free from. Stunts like this and the emergence of Google+ won't help Facebook one bit.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Facebook just fucked themselves when they screwed up the privacy settings. You can't block certain people from profile photos or photos other people tag of you any more. Fail. I know more tthan one person who intends to delete their account because of this change.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

I think the delay in getting this out reflects worse on Facebook than it does on Apple. Sitting on this app won't hurt Apple's bottom line, it will hurt Facebook's users. I doubt they care. I think Facebook needs to watch out because an awful lot of its users actually don't like being Facebook users, they are just hooked into something they don't want/can't to break free from. Stunts like this and the emergence of Google+ won't help Facebook one bit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I couldnt care less about facebook. But twitter is a cool tool. Especially for real time news events. Really helps spread the word that normal news channels don't cover. IMHO.

FB sucked before. But now with all the changes, it's even more invasive and annoying. I predict it gpes the way of myspace within a few yrs.

I disagree chaps. Every time Facebook updates people always complain, but in regards to social networking it's pretty entrenched. I cannot trust Google over Facebook and Diaspora, while decent, is developing too slowly to provide any threat. Whatever de-thrones Facebook will have to be a different beast entirely.

In regards to the article though, hoping this app finally comes out. The site sucks as do the attempts at making FB apps so far. Looking forward to the 4th.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    The iPhone version became garbage when Joe Hewitt quit developing it.

Soon, this iPad version will probably became unstable and garbage too now that the lead developer quits and went to google.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    The iPhone version of the FB app is already ridiculed by Apple. I saw this in Apple's WWC2011 Session Video's where they explain that you shouldn't bring up a springboard in your app after the users just tapped on the (iOS) springboard to load the app.

I can't find which session it is, but I do remember it's in one of the first episodes (Session 1)

http://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2011/
  • Reply 11 of 26
    ...Too late for the guy who just quit over the delay!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

The iPhone version of the FB app is already ridiculed by Apple. I saw this in Apple's WWC2011 Session Video's where they explain that you shouldn't bring up a springboard in your app after the users just tapped on the (iOS) springboard to load the app.

I can't find which session it is, but I do remember it's in one of the first episodes (Session 1)

No need for such sophistication... The Facebook iPhone app already sucks 7 different kinds of d**k in terms of responsiveness, performance (server's fault?), coherence...
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Why do you need and iPad app when the iPad screen is just as big as most websites? Stupid article.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

Why do you need and iPad app when the iPad screen is just as big as most websites? Stupid article.

That's the whole point! Best post ever in respect of this fb app for iPad!

Just use Safari and there you go: native fb on iPad!

PS: don't forget to save a bookmark and a shortcut on screen, so it can look like a real app.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Facebook will launch the iPad application and an updated iPhone app at the Oct. 4 event, Mashable reported on Monday. Recent reports suggested that Apple will announce the fifth-generation iPhone next Wednesday and that the event will be hosted on Apple?s campus, although the Cupertino, Calif.-based company has not yet issued press invites for the keynote.

Is it me, or did you all see that the article is either poorly written or this information is incorrect? How can the event be on October 4th, and then in the next sentence say the iPhone is being announced next Wednesday (which is the 5th).

I wish Apple would just announce it already!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Dupe delete
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The app’s repeated delays were explained by Mashable’s sources as stemming from a “combination of timing and strained relationship with Apple.”

How come Google was able to get a Facebook App for Android long ago? I wonder if Apple is falling victim to hubris?
  • Reply 17 of 26
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

i remember when Joe Hewitt first wrote that app and it took like 3 weeks to get approved and everyone was saying how cool it was and how an awesome programmer he was
  • Reply 18 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

What isn't being comprehended by most and your comment illustrates this is the following: the Internet does not equal the web.

There is the Internet then there is a choice of how to use it ... Via web, i.e. HTML or via apps. Apps, Apple's brainchild for the most part, avoids any need to be connected to the web, this means no Google, no unintended intrusions and a nice, tight one to one relationship between the user and the app maker. The web's days may well be declining with the growth of the app paradigm and most people don't even know it. The proof of this is the number of google searches done on the web v google searches done with mobile devices where apps rule. Google know this and their entire business model is at risk mainly thanks to Apple. Facebook going app is a major thing if it were to become the way people interact and I suspect it will. Again, Google is out of the loop.

iTunes was the first app of major significance as far as I can recall. Talk about foresight!
  • Reply 19 of 26
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

How do you upload pictures to Facebook using just Safari on the iPad?

When I had my iPad 2, I would often find images on the internet that I would save to my iPad, but also wanted to post to my Facebook page. I would then either have to use the ugly-ass Facebook iPhone app or my iPhone to upload the pics.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Unfortunately, because of my job in a post secondary inst. I use FB all the time. Only way to stay in touch with students and student activities. I need this app yesterday.