Mail password with Lion

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
With Snow Leopard, or earlier OS versions, it was possible to set up mail so that you had to enter a password when you opened mail for each account. That was very useful, particularly in a shared environment where mail needs to be private.

With Lion once you have used Mail and entered a password for an account, it saves it in preferences. According to Mail Help you simply open preferences, and blank the password but it just reappears the next time you open it.

Have tried deleting the Mail Keychains, and Passwords in the Account section of Systems preferences but to no avail.

There are a large number of references to this in other Internet forums but so far no solution short of using a different mail client. Does anyone know of a way of getting back to the previous password protection method ??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

[...] a shared environment where mail needs to be private.

You rmail is bound to your user account, though, right? Or do you mean by "shared", that you share a user account? That causes a whole host of privacy issues.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gyorpb View Post

You rmail is bound to your user account, though, right? Or do you mean by "shared", that you share a user account? That causes a whole host of privacy issues.

.tsooJ

I mean that my mail can be accessed by anyone if I leave the machine logged on with my account. Under snow leopard mail could request another password for each mail account as that mail account was accessed. In theory that's still true according to the Lion Mail help but its not. As mentioned lots of coverage on apple forums but no solution.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Well, you really shouldn't be leaving your account logged in and unattended if you worry about people reading your mail.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 4 of 5
    As mentioned the method of blanking out the password in Mail prefs no longer works.

The way to do it is to deliberately put a bad password in prefs. Goofy but it works.