Apple 'gearing up' to release devices with curved glass in 2012 - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

reading between the lines here, does this include the glass-screens of all apple devices in the building? Hmmm...

Lawyer alert! Lawyer alert! Danger, danger!
  • Reply 42 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Because it will be made by Apple.

And you'll all love it after hating on it on the Nexus S
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post

Exactly my question - rounded glass face? - is this a technical innovation that the consumer can use to some advantage or have they run out of ideas for the new models?

I don't think Apple is quite out of ideas yet. This is mainly about style, and Apple is all about style after all. But the curved shape does feel more natural in most people's hands, and therefore it is less likely to be dropped. Fewer drops mean fewer problems, and fewer problems means happier consumers. (Even if they don't exactly understand WHY they are 'happier'.)

Think about things you have held in your hands. Imagine if a telephone handset had straight edges. But it doesn't - it evolved to become a continuous series of curves. The TiVo remote is considered a cut above the average. All curves. Soap used to come in brick-like blocks - but no more. Look at the evolution of the iPod design from boxy to rounded edges. Curves, baby. Curves.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

I don't think Apple is quite out of ideas yet. This is mainly about style, and Apple is all about style after all. But the curved shape does feel more natural in most people's hands, and therefore it is less likely to be dropped. Fewer drops mean fewer problems, and fewer problems means happier consumers. (Even if they don't exactly understand WHY they are 'happier'.)

Think about things you have held in your hands. Imagine if a telephone handset had straight edges. But it doesn't - it evolved to become a continuous series of curves. The TiVo remote is considered a cut above the average. All curves. Soap used to come in brick-like blocks - but no more. Look at the evolution of the iPod design from boxy to rounded edges. Curves, baby. Curves.

You forgot the best use of curves, on women lol.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post

Exactly my question - rounded glass face? - is this a technical innovation that the consumer can use to some advantage or have they run out of ideas for the new models?

It makes perfect sense to me and I've been wanting a "curved" iPhone since I bought my 3GS, then iPhone 4. I've always thought the current model was too "blocky" and needed to curve slightly from my ear to my mouth.

This will be a big hit, you wait. Apple will do it in a way that feels just right. Looking forward to it and hope the iPhone 5 is the curved model.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

More nonsense. Apple isn't going to create a curved glass iPhone, nor iPod touch, nor iPad. A curved surface may only be useful for a very large display for simulation purposes, and even then a simple array of flat monitors works fine.

I was wondering if anyone was going to say this. Does anyone remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/OhDL48ulKyw

Aside from the prophecies of iCloud and the iPad, listen to what Steve says at 0:50. Video taken from All Things D in 2007.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

With this curved display, you may not even have to "touch" the display to issue commands or control the OS, there may be sensors that read your movements in the air, and by waving you hand in a certain direction or making certain gestures or movements in front of the panel can register as a command...

This is a very interesting rumor/report on a new technology we may see in the near future on the desktop computing side...

Not all that innovative. Ever hear of a Theramin? Invented about 60 years ago, maybe more.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I can't see how it would make the touch screenneasier to use. In reality it would be harder. Then you have the issue of actually making the screen, which would be massively expensive compared to flat glass. Flat glass is extremely simple to make in mass production.

Beyond that think about bounding the LCD and touch screen components. It would be like asking for a manufacturing nightmare. Warranty repair would be hell to as now you have a surface that is easy to put a point load on.

This whole curved glass thing makes no sense to me as I don't see it leading to a better product.

Yes, but wouldn't it be worth it to increase the glare, as a curved screen would do? Apple loves glare.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

First, I want to say that I geeked out over the tablet-sized glass showing the cover of the book on the back of what he was reading. I just really REALLY liked that for some reason (also, the tip of the hat was very well placed).

Second, they certainly spent a lot of money on that short demo. And with 15 million views, they're obviously a fairly popular name (although I've never heard of them).

I just wonder how much they're working on physical stuff. I would hope that the amount spent on this look into the future is peanuts compared to the R&D they're actually doing, though that's often not the case.

Also, I want my future to be more than just clear, silver, and white. I love that combination, but other colors exist for a reason. They tend to be pretty.

If I remember right, Corning makes the gorilla glass that is on the Iphone 4. They are one of the leading glass makers of lcd tv's and dabble in fiber optics. They used to be partners with Siemens back in the day when they were stilll "Siecor". From what I hear, they are currently working on R&D with thin photovoltaic glass now. I know this because I used to work for them and they are right down the street from me. Still got some buddies who work there.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    If I'm not mistaken, the Nokia N9 also has a curved glass display specifically tailored for the Swipe UI. I think it's made by Corning who supply Nokia with Gorilla glass screens for their current models.