Apple rumored to launch iPhone 5 Oct. 14 in US, UK, France, Germany & Japan

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report claims that Apple is preparing to launch its fifth-generation iPhone in the U.S., U.K., France, Germany and Japan in a matter of weeks on Friday, Oct. 14.

The claim comes from Japanese website Macotakara, which reported on Tuesday that Apple is likely to launch its so-called "iPhone 5" in those five countries on Oct. 14. That aligns with details AppleInsider was told last week, namely that Apple has blacked out vacation time for retail employees at some locations on Oct. 14 and 15.

In addition, earlier this month Stephane Richard, CEO of French wireless carrier Orange, said that Apple's next iPhone would be released around the same time, as he suggested a launch date of Oct. 15. The rumored Oct. 14 launch date also aligns with the anticipated Oct. 4 event where Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook is expected to introduce the next iPhone at a media event on his company's Cupertino, Calif., campus.

A Friday iPhone launch would not be new, as the iPhone 3GS launched on that day of the week in June of 2009, the iPhone 3G went on sale on a Friday in July 2008, and even the first-generation iPhone became available at 6 p.m. on Friday, June 29, 2007. In fact, only the launch of the iPhone 4 in 2010 did not occur on a Friday, falling instead on a Thursday last June.

Apple is expected to release the golden master build of its iOS 5 mobile operating system to overseas handset assemblers sometime this week, allowing the software to be installed on the iPhone 5 hardware. Golden master code is typically identical to what eventually becomes the final public software release.

Macotakara first reported this March that Apple was not yet aligning part suppliers for its fifth-generation iPhone. The site correctly said Apple's next handset would miss the company's fiscal 2011, which concludes at the end of September, putting the device on track for an October launch.

Apple has typically introduced its iPhone upgrades in the June-July timeframe, unveiling the hardware at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference. But this year's WWDC proved to be a software-centric event, with the unveiling of iOS 5 and iCloud and no new iPhone introduction.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    We are just a week away from October 4th which is the rumored date for Apple event yet we don't have any official announcement from apple. And here we are, with more news about launch date as well.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    There's gonna be riots for these phones! I'd quite happily bludgeon someone to increment my store queue position on the 14th.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    What about the release of iOS 5, for those of us that don't need a new phone?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    No dates for Canada
  • Reply 5 of 28
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Apple have given up on phones.

I reckon they've moved onto toasters.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    You know what would be an absolute hoot? If October came and went with no new iPhone and no new production version of iOS 5.

Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked for this stuff, but all the "news outlets" seem so confident of these dates. Apple always surprises.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I can wait a week. Not too much longer. I will miss Steve tho. This is a biggie...i hope they honor him in some way....like maybe have him appear via satellite at the end, and say one....more....thing

I dunno. Just won't be the same without him. But i guess the torch must be passed. <sigh>

I...

• Reply 8 of 28
    I believe the handset will be radically redesigned. Expect something we have never seen before. It will be round. The size of a silver dollar. It will be made entirely of glass. No buttons. No screen, or no screen as we know them. You will only have to have the device on you (in a pocket) for it to work. Upon activation, it binds with the owner and cannot be used by anyone else, unless the owner grants permission. How you use it is a mystery at this point.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

I would guess it would drop probably a day or two before the actual phones went on sale. If I remember correctly, that's how iOS 3 and 4 have been. Being a developer and running the beta, I can safely say that between the added features and functionality, and the overall speed (since putting beta 7 on, it feels faster than 4.2 or 4.3 ever did), my iPhone 4 will more than make it until the iPhone 6 is released.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    if they can work on cdma AND gsm, i'm ordering from apple asap and then work my deal with VZ ATT

is that reasonable approach
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

On the other hand, I do need a new toaster.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Quote:

Thank you sir... the memory of "Flying Toasters" screensavers has made me feel 20 years younger!
  • Reply 13 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Hoping iOS for iPad drops the same day. I'm really glad that iPad 1 is supported this time around. I did not install the beta on mine since it is the only one in the house, but looking forward to the final release.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Yes, it's the iToaster. White model is delayed (manufacturing problem I think).

White, $.69

Wheat, $.99

Whole Grain, $1.29
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

On the other hand, I do need a new toaster.

I Guess it will have next generation GPS Systen combined with a 6-axis gyroscope. The high end model will sport WiFi connectivity that allows emails to be sent as as soon as your toast is done to your liking.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    *digs out credit card*
  • Reply 17 of 28
    I'm a little disappointed with the trolls... must be too early for them.

Where are all the posts saying that Apple is having problems and having to push back the release date.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In fact, only the launch of the iPhone 4 in 2010 did not occur on a Friday, falling instead on a Thursday last June.

That must have been the day time stood still !
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I believe the handset will be radically redesigned. Expect something we have never seen before. It will be round. The size of a silver dollar. It will be made entirely of glass. No buttons. No screen, or no screen as we know them. You will only have to have the device on you (in a pocket) for it to work. Upon activation, it binds with the owner and cannot be used by anyone else, unless the owner grants permission. How you use it is a mystery at this point.

Well, if this is what happens, then Apple will have clearly figured out how to make time travel possible. I just wonder if Sony will be able to sue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdh4TqWFfX4
  • Reply 20 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

There's gonna be riots for these phones! I'd quite happily bludgeon someone to increment my store queue position on the 14th.

Par for the course behavior for UK isn't it?