Broad multitouch patent granted to Apple seen as 'huge blow' to rivals

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 115
    brainlessbrainless Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

More obvious than 1-click?

What would be 1-click good for ? If you want to scroll the outer pane and at the same time scroll with the content within the embedded frame, this is really the first solution that comes to mind.
  • Reply 102 of 115
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

What would be 1-click good for ? If you want to scroll the outer pane and at the same time scroll with the content within the embedded frame, this is really the first solution that comes to mind.

You misunderstand me. 1-click is a patent and trademark belonging to Amazon that lets you buy stuff with just one click because in essence you already logged in and you turned it on. Technically it's about as unadvanced as you can get, but they have a software patent on it, and Apple pay them for it so that the iTunes store can sell things with a single click.
  • Reply 103 of 115
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NinjaBladeMastery View Post

So Apple could potentially cripple the mobile industry?

No, because the person you were replying from completely misinterpreted the patent. Reading the first few lines of a claim is never enough
  • Reply 104 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Really AI should be ashamed of itself! This is not a broad patent at all and in fact is rather narrow. I do hope this post ends up first simply to make sure everybody realizes this article is completely bogus.

So I urge everyone to actually read the claims in the patent before responding to this article. The patent is good for Apple but it is by no means broad.

Just read the patent. It is *very* broad, it appears to basically grants a patent to any multitouch gesture for navigating in an app. That is, it grants a patent to the notion that multi-touch gestures interact with the UI as if they are touching a physical document.

If Apple does not license this, it may mean that the competition will need to re-invent their UIs to use a different metaphor. That would be HUGE.
  • Reply 105 of 115
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Apparently too broad. Apple's multi-touch patent application was denied today.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/26/apple-...lDay+%289+to+5
  • Reply 106 of 115
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 107 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I think that's just the trademark for the term "multitouch", not the patent on the technology itself (which on other sites was described as not being so far-reaching after all).

Gotcha. You're absolutely correct. The matching application dates for the patent and the trademark got me.

Thanks for the correction!
  • Reply 108 of 115
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Gotcha. You're absolutely correct. The matching application dates for the patent and the trademark got me.

How did that "get you"? You just linked to the story (in another thread) a few minutes earlier!
  • Reply 109 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

How did that "get you"? You just linked to the story (in another thread) a few minutes earlier!

Huh Ummm. . . for the same reason I said. I was confused by the matched filing dates. I then went back and corrected the post you mention in the other thread.

Go to 9to5Mac and you'll see I wasn't the only one initially confused.
  • Reply 110 of 115
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Go to 9to5Mac and you'll see I wasn't the only one initially confused.

I did!

"Apple has been denied the multi-touch trademark by Patent Office"

I can see how that would be difficult for you to understand.

Perhaps you should consider spending some of your time educating and correcting the anonymous numnuts over at 9to5Mac?
  • Reply 111 of 115
    I've never claimed to be as smart as you guys. I'll make an occasional mistake.
  • Reply 112 of 115
    deleted
  • Reply 113 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Today's winner of the AppleInsider Forum Award for Outstanding Achievements in Pedantry goes to piot, for his best-of-breed accomplishments in this thread.

Long after Gatorguy humbly acknowledged having made a simple mistake, piot's on the scene, making post after post berating Gatorguy in the most trivial and tedious way possible.

Congratulations, piot, on your achievement.

Wow, you do all band together, don't you?
  • Reply 114 of 115
    Edit)
  • Reply 115 of 115
    deleted