G4/G5 >=1Ghz When?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I am wondering how useful that spell checker in Photoshop will be.....

Usually you type paragraphs in word processors...then copy+paste into PS.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Pretty much the same one that's in inDesign and pagemaker but I think it uses X's dictionary or services because spell check didnt work in 9 on my beta but it did in X.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    I was thinking that the addition of a spell checker made it sound a lot like a Cocoa app since those apps have the abilities of using system wide services. Would Adobe seriously include a dictionary with Photoshop? Seems like a waste of hard drive space when one is already integrated with the OS.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Apple really doesn't have a choice...

They must do one of two things by the END of this month (before the new iMac ships)...

1 - Keep the specs the same and lower the price points

2 - Rev the line with new CPU's (no G5 IMHO)

Spec for Spec the 867Mhz system tower cost an EXTRA ONE THOUSAND ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS over the iMac... Sorry but 3 pci slots + 67Mhz and the option of using a bigger monitor just isn't worth $1,100.00 and after the rebate ends the price difference will jump another $300 for a grand total of ONE THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS! Hech for that you could get TWO LCD iMacs (one high-end one low to mid-end).

Nope we gotta see something on or before Jan 31st.

Dave

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 42
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i'm sure the spell check will be just like the spell check in illustrator 10! nice addition if you ask me, not that i really do much text in photoshop!
  • Reply 26 of 42
    [quote]If I were in the position of Apple right now, I would be so frustrated, so angry, I'd want to just quit. It's amazing that Jobs and others at Apple find a way to keep pushing ahead with such garbage for CPUs. Because in the backs of their heads, everyone at Apple must know that no matter how well they do their jobs, macs will not be competitive with Wintels, all because of Motorola's unwillingness to supply Apple with fast CPUs.<hr></blockquote>

Perhaps they know something that we don't?

Yes it is sad that Apple is hurting at the hands of Moto. But Moto is a business (albiet a failing one right now). It needs to make money. If they can't put a lot of resources into a money-losing low-piority business (Desktop PPCs), they won't.

Also, remeber when Apple killed the clones? Moto lost tons of money on that. I remember a quote from a Moto exec.: "They'll just be another customer from now on."

The bright side? Apple's starting to do their own design work and can buy Moto's PPC assets. So have faith, play with the iMac and the 14" iBook and give Apple time. It'll be worth it when the G5 is the fastest desktop processor in the world.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    It will be in February on a spacial event with nVidia also announcing their new 3D card as BTO. I think it will be a G4 SOI or G5. It really doesn't matter for me.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Apple needs to hit the GHz+ very soon, but when it does it will still offer half the "Rated" speed of the 2.2 GHz P4. When Apollo is released it needs to be offered as MP's (duals and quads) across the PowerMac line. With the G4 in the new iMac @ 800 MHZ for $1800 w/ SuperDrive anything less would not differentiate the Pro Mac's from the consumer line.

As far as the top level developers, those working with video and rendered graphics, a quad Apollo would be most appropriate for their task. Make a RackMac version of the quad as the Server "Blade" and cut into that Market, as well as showcase OSX Server.

Apple has always had the ability to win the MHz Wars simply by using multiplication instead of addition in clock speed. Margin is the only thing keeping Apple from this approach. Losing the top tier of Apple customers must be a bigger concern, at this point, than maintaining a 30% margin.

When the G5 comes, it will outperform the duals, as a dual G5 will outperform the quad, so Apple can go back to the single and dual processors in the PowerMac, thus reclaiming the margin.

[ 01-09-2002: Message edited by: Aphelion ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 42
    ziplocziploc Posts: 41member
    IF Steve Jobs is announced as a Keynote speaker at Seybold in Feb. then both the new lineup of PowerMacs (Apolo or G5) will be announced ALONG WITH Photoshop for OSX.

As much of a d__k Steve Jobs can be he would not be giving Adobe as much flack as he did at the MYSF keynote about not releasing PS for OSX, if he didn't have something lined up with them.

Seybold makes perfect sense for both products since it is a Publishing tradeshow. And since we all know that the favorite app to show off the speed of the PowerMacs is Photoshop...

just my $.02

zip
  • Reply 30 of 42
    I don't think it will be very long before we get some kind of update, but I think Apple is trying to make the jump as large as possible - perhaps straight to 1.4/1.6 GHz. I suppose they likely have a date set where new G*'s will be announced, and the wildcard may be which chips they will include...Apple's probably waiting to see!

-S
  • Reply 31 of 42
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    1st half of Feb.

. G4 w/ SOI 867MHz, 933MHz, 1.1GHz

. 133MHz bus

MWNY 2002

. Apollo 1.1, 133MHz bus

. Apollo1.2, 1.4GHz 266MHz bus(???)

MWSF 2003

. G5(32bit) 1.2GHz, 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz.

. 400MHz bus

Which could be duals I have no idea.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and the Apollo appears in Feb., but I still don't expect G5's until end of 2002 early 2003.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by rok:

<strong>why would apple sit on it with the high end imac now muddling waters with the low-to-mid range g4's -- they need some distinct gap between the pro and consumer machines again?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who says there must be a gap between the imacs and the powermacs? The fact that the imacs are so close, and even beyond the low end power mac, should drive up there sales. It's obvious to everyone that the imacs relative to the powermacs are a great deal. So buy buy buy! Steve said it himself: "We feel everyone is going to want the top-of-the-line model, so we're going to release that first." Steve wants the new imac to make big sales and this is the best way to do it.

Once the final imac model is shipped in March, I expect that sometime soon afterwards there will be a spec adjustment in the powermacs. Seeing that Macworld Tokyo is a month after the final imac release, it seems pretty obvious that genius planning is at work. Whether it be a G4 speed hike or the new G5 is only speculation. I personally believe that the G5 will probably be next MWSF if they hike the speeds of the G4s in March (Apple has never updated the same platform (i.e, powermacs) with a mere 3-4 months. The minimum time separation between revisions to ensure maximum sales of the platform has to be 6 months.

-Rob Viesca
  • Reply 33 of 42
    AT 12 o'clock

You understand what I mean. The transition will be complet when 10.2(optimized G5) and the G5 comes out for the professionals.

When will it be 12 o'clock?

At the end of march at an Apple Event.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by rickag:

<strong>1st half of Feb.

. G4 w/ SOI 867MHz, 933MHz, 1.1GHz

. 133MHz bus

MWNY 2002

. Apollo 1.1, 133MHz bus

. Apollo1.2, 1.4GHz 266MHz bus(???)

MWSF 2003

. G5(32bit) 1.2GHz, 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz.

. 400MHz bus

Which could be duals I have no idea.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and the Apollo appears in Feb., but I still don't expect G5's until end of 2002 early 2003.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well Ihope that you are wrong because those specifications stated above are just a shame

• Reply 35 of 42
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Toofeu

I hope I'm wrong too.

Although, I think an Apollo @ 1.4GHz w/ DDRsdram would more than compete with a 1.6GHz AMD or a 2.2GHz Intel. It would just be 6 months too late.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>1Ghz, not gonna happen til 2003

G5, not gonna happen til 2006</strong><hr></blockquote>

by 2006 IBM should be near finishing its 10 ghz ppc chip technology that they are working on now

by 2007-2008 intel will be finishing their 10 ghz x86 tech that THEY are working on now
  • Reply 37 of 42
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    [quote]Originally posted by rickag:

<strong>Toofeu

I hope I'm wrong too.

Although, I think an Apollo @ 1.4GHz w/ DDRsdram would more than compete with a 1.6GHz AMD or a 2.2GHz Intel. It would just be 6 months too late.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ultimately nobody cares whether tomorrow's Apple chips will be able to match today's AMD and Intel (mainly the AMD ones) chips. What is important is whether it can match tomorrow's AMD and Intel chips.

Considering the ratings AMD plans to give their chips by Q1 2003 I don't see a 2GHz G5 coming out then doing anything. We would be in the same position as today, today's speeds tomorrow. It is no use catching up for a short time only to fall behind again.

Faster chips need to be out long before then and produced more aggressively, or if the G5 debuts then it needs to be at a much higher clock.

Apple is aware of this though and working on it. Ultimately it is just a matter of seeing whether they will succeed.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    [quote]

AT 12 o'clock

You understand what I mean. The transition will be complet when 10.2(optimized G5) and the G5 comes out for the professionals.

When will it be 12 o'clock?

At the end of march at an Apple Event.

<hr></blockquote>

Good call. I'll second that prediction.

G5 or Apple is doomed.

I don't think Apple is doomed. If the Powermacs were about to languish at half the GHz of Wintel boxes for another year, then Jobs wouldn't have been so happy at MWSF. He was one upbeat dude, happiest I've seen him in ages. The G5 is on it's way, folks!
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Has Apple ever come out with a statement that they are actively doing PPC development? Where did this myth originate? MOSR?

I'll believe it when I see a quote attributed to Apple management. Until then it should be considered pure speculation.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    [quote]Originally posted by thinklikeacriminal:

<strong>Has Apple ever come out with a statement that they are actively doing PPC development? Where did this myth originate? MOSR?

I'll believe it when I see a quote attributed to Apple management. Until then it should be considered pure speculation.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple has always had a substantial contingent of engineers at the Somerset PowerPC design center that was created with AIM came into existance.