Apple invites press to 'talk iPhone' at media event on Oct. 4

Comments

• Reply 101 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Geez, I so stoopit.

It's ok, my real name is "whatever that guy's name is from The DaVinci Code."
  • Reply 102 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

If it has LTE on Verizon, I will probably get one. I don't want to wait another 2 years for LTE.

4G is a dealbreaker for me. I really hope it has 4G but, from what I am reading, it may not have it.
  • Reply 103 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

The images plainly reveal what Apple is going to do.

etc. etc. etc.

It's all so simple. It's right there for everyone to look at; you just need to open your eyes.

You left out the explanation for the period.
  • Reply 104 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Each of the icons has...... gasp..... four sides!

Correction: those icons have more than 4 sides. If it's a square, then yes, it has 4 sides. But those aren't squares... The rounded edge give the icons infinite sides.
  • Reply 105 of 188
    Quote:

Which brings me to the corners...
  • Reply 106 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeromeus View Post

Correction: those icons have more than 4 sides. If it's a square, then yes, it has 4 sides. But those aren't squares... The rounded edge give the icons infinite sides.

Rounded edges mean we're getting curved glass on all sides.
  • Reply 107 of 188
    I think the changes are gonna be conservative. Some spec bumps, better camera, and ios 5. I remember the past few years of Apple events, and no device really had a massive leap over its predecessor (with the iphone 4 being the biggest leap, and if i remember correctly, people were still unhappy because of the UI being the same).

I think it'll be ballsy moves by Apple if:

There's a bigger screen

Different form factor from ip4

Announce more than one phone

Has 4G

My full prediction is: Tim Cook appears starts talking about Apple's success for a while. Shows off the new Iphone 5. It look pretty much like the iphone 4 except it has a touch sensitive menu button. Talks about the new specs (A5, more ram, better battery life, etc). He'll emphasize how the graphics are a lot better. Then a popular app developer will appear showing off the new graphics with a new game. Tim Cook reappears, calls an Apple person out to show off the camera and its new features. Cook comes back out, talks about ios 5, introduces another Apple person, who proceeds to give a demo on how the new phone works with ios5. Finally, Cook comes back and tells us the price, and announces that the phone will appear, for the first time ever, on Sprint. There will be a "And one more thing" moment, where Cook announces 3G facetime...and calls up Steve Jobs. (ok maybe that ones a stretch).

The order of how all this happens is probably different, but this is what I'm expecting when i sit down and watch. So if anything more is added I'll be even happier
  • Reply 108 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skimmy23ser View Post

number 1 next to phone icon, could it be that Apple is releasing just 1 iPhone? "lets talk iPhone- singular-hmmm.

1 iPhone - My though exactly. You beat me to the Post :-)
  • Reply 109 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I heard it'll support LTE and have a curved screen.

A curved screen doesn't sound terribly user friendly for a touchscreen device.

Most Apple rumors that are posted to tech media sites end up being incorrect, probably around 98%. You just can't count on anything that doesn't emanate from Apple.com to be factual.
  • Reply 110 of 188
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

iPad 3?
  • Reply 111 of 188
    Quote:

I think you could be on to something here.
  • Reply 112 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The period means that it'll be presented by a woman who hasn't reach menopause.
  • Reply 113 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

iPad 3?

Clever response!
  • Reply 114 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

And just what, in your opinion, should it be? I'm dying to read your reply.

Larger screen, thinner, 8 MP camera, HSDPA+ at least. Anything less, and it won't even be as good as Samsung's 5 month old Galaxy S II, which would be just plain wrong considering how long they've been working on it.
  • Reply 115 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

The iPhone is not designed as a compelling upgrade to people who just purchased an iPhone 4....

Why not? While you could make that argument for the 3G<3Gs, you'd be hard pressed to do the same for the Original iPhone<3G, or the 3Gs<iPhone 4. With stiff competition from phones like the Galaxy S II, I don't think Apple can afford not to raise the bar again. You don't remain the market leader by getting complacent.
  • Reply 116 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Hmm, iPhone 4S or iPhone 5?

Judging from past invitations, Apple loves hidden meanings. I'm seeing a lot of "4" references here.

- The 4th of October as a double entendre.

- 4 icons.

- The sum of all visible digits, divided by the number of icons:

4+10+280+1=295.

2+9+5=16.

16/4=4

Or, If you take the map icon as meaning 1 Infinite Loop:

4+10+1+1=16

16/4=4.

Ok, I'll put my tinfoil hat away!

4 is cosmic.....

four = 4

one = 3 (three) = 5 (five) = 4

ten = 3 (three) = 5 (five) =4

twohundredeighty = 16 (sixteen) =7 (seven) = 5 (five) = 4

Anyway - I'm getting one of them whatever it is.
  • Reply 117 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

I heard it'll support LTE and have a curved screen.

You heard wrong.
  • Reply 118 of 188
    And remember this, kiddies... No matter what happens, you'll feel terribly let down, whine and cry about what it "shoulda been", and end up buying one anyway.

Introducing iPhone 4S, now with built in Pez dispenser!
  • Reply 119 of 188
    3gs with iphone 4 internals and the ipod touch retina display for $99.

iPhone 4 materials too expensive to be cost effective at the $99 level. An actual improvement to this phone, and we're really dreaming that they can hit the $99 level.

OR, we can look at it as an 8gb ipod touch with a cellular radio. $99 on contract, $350 unsubsidized.

Either way, nothing about the iPhone 4 screams "budget" from a business standpoint.

BUT, WTF do i know...haha.

Also, my take on the teaser image is...

first icon: day and date of event

second icon: local time (Pacific) of the event

third icon: the location (picture of 1 infinite loop, CA on the map)

fourth icon: iPhone missed call (missed the June announcement, pushed back to October)
  • Reply 120 of 188
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And remember this, kiddies... No matter what happens, you'll feel terribly let down, whine and cry about what it "shoulda been", and end up buying one anyway.

A man after my own speculation.