Piper: Expect voice recognition in iOS 5, but no low-end iPhone at Oct. 4 event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    I'm pretty sure if there was any Voice recognition, we'd have heard or seen evidence of it in some of the developer builds. It would be pretty difficult to get a feature like that working correctly across all apps, etc.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I dunno. The jump from $99 to $199 isn't that bad when you're paying $90 a month for service for 2 years...

The initial cost of the phone is a fraction of the total cost of ownership.

Wait, really?

Whoa.... Someone should inform the masses!
  • Reply 23 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickf View Post

I talked to my daughter who has iPhone 4. She said in high school MOST ALL students use Android. Probably what their parents picked.

Only 3 or 4 percent in her middle class high school use iPhone.

So, Apple does need cheaper/free phone cheaper plan. Something on par with Android.

I get a 25% discount on my family plan. Otherwise, I would not have iPhone. It's already too expensive with 4 people.

If Apple wants to keep the high end, fine. But Android will flood/bury iPhone if they don't address this market. iPhone will get marginalized.

P

Another rumored possibility is that the iPod touch evolves into the prepaid iPhone. There is speculation that the new iPods could have SIM cards for data plans like the iPads. Maybe the subsequent generation becomes a full phone.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Considering how awful Apple's text input and voice recognition is currently, anything would be an improvement.

Interestingly, I did notice one thing that has changed for the (vastly) better recently. Used to be, if you didn't make it down to the space bar, and instead hit the N or B or something, the iPhone spell check was totally baffled. IE, you type thisnmonday and it would be soooo confused. Then, out of nowhere, the iPhone now recognizes that that N was probably supposed to be a space. It was a major oversight originally, and I'm super glad they finally fixed it. Also seems like it no longer tries to correct "me" to "mr" one time out of 10. Trust me, I tried all the fixes for that little gem.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

My voice is my passport. Verify me.

• Reply 26 of 57
    Quote:

I talked to my daughter who has iPhone 4. She said in high school MOST ALL students use Android. Probably what their parents picked.

Only 3 or 4 percent in her middle class high school use iPhone.

Seems legit
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:

So, Apple does need cheaper/free phone cheaper plan. Something on par with Android.

I'd love a dataless plan.

Quote:

But Android will flood/bury iPhone if they don't address this market. iPhone will get marginalized.

Completely untrue, though.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    The analysts are always "worse" predictors than the bloggers because the analysts actually have paying customers that are relying on the data. They are inherently more conservative (though almost always still bullish). Basically they're setting a base-case scenario and suggesting you buy, rather than setting an aggressive scenario and telling you to buy. Either way, they're saying BUY. I'd rather my investment advisor be somewhat conservative in his predictions than too exuberant. That way, if Apple exceeds their predictions, all the better.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

I'm pretty sure if there was any Voice recognition, we'd have heard or seen evidence of it in some of the developer builds. It would be pretty difficult to get a feature like that working correctly across all apps, etc.

This is Apple we are talking about. We don't need no stinkin testing!

Apple loves to keep major features under wraps and then WOW the public.

If Apple previewed it 6 months ago, Google would have started copying it.

While voice recognition isn't new and Apple has some catching up to do, I wholly expect them to leapfrog Google. Particularly in the area of usability.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    (Originally Posted by patrickf:

I talked to my daughter who has iPhone 4. She said in high school MOST ALL students use Android. Probably what their parents picked. Only 3 or 4 percent in her middle class high school use iPhone.)

I've seen other polls/studies that mention iPhones appeal more to the 35+ group (or thereabouts) while Android is much more popular for those under 35.

FWIW, I have heard two of the high-school kids who hang with my son complain that they wished their parents had let them get *x-phone* rather than an iPhone. One complained that he had to pay for apps my son got for free, and his parents wouldn't let him buy many. Don't recall why the other kid didn't care for his. Sample of two I know, but in line with what I'd read elsewhere.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

They did see a microphone icon next to the space bar in one of the early builds which has since gone missing. But I agree seems a bit risky without it being in the dev builds. If they do release it without testing it will need to be fixed immediately I'm sure.

The other thing that is curious is it going to be North American English or are they able to make it work for all the countries in which they sell the iPhone?
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

My voice is my passport. Verify me.

Nice

Except voice is even less distinctive than fingerprints, and what CSI never tells you is that there are many people in a given (large) city with essentially the same fingerprints.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:

From what I know, all cell phone plans cost the same. The carrier sets the rate, not the phone maker.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

The analysts are always "worse" predictors than the bloggers because the analysts actually have paying customers that are relying on the data. They are inherently more conservative (though almost always still bullish). Basically they're setting a base-case scenario and suggesting you buy, rather than setting an aggressive scenario and telling you to buy. Either way, they're saying BUY. I'd rather my investment advisor be somewhat conservative in his predictions than too exuberant. That way, if Apple exceeds their predictions, all the better.

Unless his conservative prediction causes you to buy a few shares, while if he told you what he really thought (which you're alleging, right?) you'd buy much more, and you'd have made a lot more money. Money not earned is no different than money lost.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

From what I know, all cell phone plans cost the same. The carrier sets the rate, not the phone maker.

Correct.

As a matter of fact, you can buy a factory-unlocked iPhone at full retail and drop in a prepaid SIM. In some markets, it is illegal to lock a handset to a carrier. Heck, you aren't even required to use the iPhone as a telephone.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

As a matter of fact, you can buy a factory-unlocked iPhone at full retail and drop in a prepaid SIM.

Not in the U.S. on AT&T, but yeah, for the most part elsewhere.

Quote:

Heck, you aren't even required to use the iPhone as a telephone.

Don't I know it?
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Nice

Except voice is even less distinctive than fingerprints, and what CSI never tells you is that there are many people in a given (large) city with essentially the same fingerprints.

I'd like them to incorporate both so I can unlock my iPhone or activate secure services, VPN connects, locking down some apps and functions using two factors. More useful on an iPad I guess which has a tendency to be passed around. How about two voice passwords combine with a finger print for two levels of access? Letting someone use maps or safari is fine but no ability to lock down mail, contacts, photo albums, etc damages my calm Add a third voice password for duress that pushes your location info to the good guys.

This could go places. But... On the list of last things I need to hear is people voicing in their txt msgs.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not in the U.S. on AT&T, but yeah, for the most part elsewhere.

Actually, you can.

You can walk into any American Apple Retail Store and buy a factory-unlocked iPhone 4 ($649 for the 16GB model, $749 for the 32GB model) and drop in an AT&T GoPhone SIM. The same handset would work on T-Mobile USA's network, minus the 3G data with one of their Pay As You Go SIMs.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Quote:

Actually, you can.

You can walk into any American Apple Retail Store and buy a factory-unlocked iPhone 4 ($649 for the 16GB model, $749 for the 32GB model) and drop in an AT&T GoPhone SIM. The same handset would work on T-Mobile USA's network, minus the 3G data with one of their Pay As You Go SIMs.

Whoops!
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:

Actually, you can.

Apple is on to something and I think they'll follow through. They have a handset that consumers will swap carriers to get. IF they can pull off building a version that works on the major 3 (US), I'll be first in line to pay full price and then bargain between the carriers in my usage areas for a voice, MSG and data plan that doesn't include paying the subsidy and signing a contract. My question is, will any others in the U.S. do the same? Apple will hand control back to the consumer and let the market decide. I'm sure other manufacturers will follow.