T-Mobile wants iPhone, appeases customers with Android alternatives

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a blog posting to its customers, T-Mobile' s chief marketing officer Cole Brodman noted that many of its customers are "disappointed that we don?t carry the iPhone," answering that "Apple knows that we?d like to add it to our line-up" while offering Android-based alternatives in the meantime.

Brodman stated that T-Mobile now hosts over one million unlocked iPhones on its network, but because it is unable to officially sell Apple's popular smartphone, it recommends Android alternatives, which it says it is confident will "rival or beat any smartphone out there in terms of functionality, speed, overall experience and features ? including the iPhone."

T-Mobile specifically recommends Samsung's Galaxy S II or HTC's Amaze, both of which support T-Mobile's 4G service plans. None of Apple's existing iPhone models support T-Mobile's 4G or even its non-standard 3G service in the US, leaving its million iPhone users stuck with EDGE-style mobile service.

Apple has filed for worldwide injunctions barring the sale of Samsung's Galaxy S II, and has already won a preliminary injection in the Netherlands, on the basis that the Galaxy S II appears to violate Apple's proprietary patents related to how it displays and navigates photos.

"Android is rivaling and even outpacing the iPhone," Brodman wrote, "including consumer adoption, market share and capabilities like support for faster 4G networks. Moreover, Android offers consumers the freedom of choice. You can choose from a variety of colors, screen sizes, slide-out keyboards, price points and customization options, as well as enjoy the numerous benefits of open source innovation, cloud services and amazing apps."

If Android's freedom of choice were actually winning over T-Mobile's customers, Brodman wouldn't have needed to beg his customers to consider the alternatives his company can actually sell as opposed to the iPhone, which T-Mobile can't currently sell via its official sales channel.

While Apple is rumored to soon bring the iPhone to Sprint, America's third largest network, there have been no credible reports of an iPhone model that will support T-Mobile's non-standard UMTS 3G frequencies, which are unique to T-Mobile's US market and not used by any other GSM-type carrier worldwide.

AT&T hopes to acquire T-Mobile and repurpose the fourth largest US carrier's radio spectrum to deliver LTE service in the US. Apple's existing iPhone do not yet support 4G but will likely adopt the new "4G" LTE networks being rolled out by Verizon and AT&T over the next year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    "Blah blah, we want it but we refuse to do anything for it, blah blah, we deserve to just be given it because we're a telecom and we make the rules blah blah, sorry, it's entirely Apple's fault, blah blah, here's the crap that we have instead."

That's T-Mobile right now.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Tallest, could you do us a favor and summarize all the articles here in that manner? It'd be like a snarky "Cliffs Notes" version we could skim when we don't have time to digest the whole article.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    Headlines are comical, so buttery toward apple. It's funny, which is good, but hurts credibility and legitimacy.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    The statement that no one else uses the T-Mobile UTMS frequencies anywhere else in the world is incorrect. There are at least 3 providers in Canada (Wind, Moblicity and Videotron) that run on the AWS frequency.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 6 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If Android's freedom of choice were actually winning over T-Mobile's customers, Brodman wouldn't have needed to beg his customers to consider the alternatives

Get a Mac?
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I knew it was a Digler the moment I read "appeases".

Me too!
  • Reply 8 of 50
    T-Mobile is acting short-sighted in this case or just doesn't care anymore knowing it will either be eaten up by AT&T or Sprint. AT&T paid major money for the iPhone, as did Verizon, and likewise with Sprint. If T-Mobile wanted to survive, it would cough up the money to Apple and take a temporary loss for a MAJOR long-term gain.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ErosLWS View Post

T-Mobile? ?will? ?be eaten up by? ?Sprint

Who isn't even attempting to buy T-Mobile?

Quote:

?paid major money for the iPhone ?Sprint?

Who doesn't even have the iPhone?

Seriously, people, are you reading what you're typing?
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Is this guy working for a technology company or a cereal box maker? IF it's a technology company, then this guy Broadman is THE WORST CMO in the history of mankind.

IF, he is really 'waiting for " that call" from Apple', then he should be fired immediately. If I was a stockholder in ANY PART of T-Mumble I would be screaming for hie replacement.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    You've got a million iPhones that you DIDN'T subsidize, that are running the worst possible data speed (and thus putting minimal strain on your network), while you're collecting the same monthly fees that you otherwise would.

Seriously, what are you complaining about?! Especially considering that no carrier has a 4G iPhone, and your 3G is non-standard.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Headlines are comical, so buttery toward apple. It's funny, which is good, but hurts credibility and legitimacy.

The headline seems fairly accurate to me.

I think that T-Mobile is the only major carrier in the US to not offer the iPhone and they'd obviously kill to have it. They're not stupid and businesses are usually in the business of making money. Since they can't currently offer their customers what many of them want, they have to try and entice their customers with some lesser choices, such as a few different Android models.

People who want iPhones are not going to be happy with some second rate Android phone. They want the silky smoothness of iOS, they want Apple's appstore along with the huge selection and they want Apple's industrial design.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who isn't even attempting to buy T-Mobile?

Who doesn't even have the iPhone?

Seriously, people, are you reading what you're typing?

Read the reason why they are opposing the AT&T and T-Mobile merger. Sprint believes an AT&T buyout is anti-competitive but a Sprint buy-out would make Sprint competitive with the big two.

Sprint is almost certainly getting the iPhone (vacation blackouts, rampant rumors, etc.). It's not a fact yet, but welcome to rumors websites.

• Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:

Read the reason why they are opposing the AT&T and T-Mobile merger. Sprint believes an AT&T buyout is anti-competitive but a Sprint buy-out would make Sprint competitive with the big two.

And they'd go bankrupt dismantling T-Mobile's infrastructure and replacing it with LTE/CDMA or they'd go bankrupt dismantling their infrastructure and replacing it with LTE/GSM, so I don't really see how that makes any sense.

Quote:

Sprint is almost certainly getting the iPhone (vacation blackouts, rampant rumors, etc.). It's not a fact yet, but welcome to rumors websites.

Except they don't have it until it's said by Apple.

Quote:

Presenting rumor as fact. It makes you look like a complete idiot. I would know.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I knew it was a Digler the moment I read "appeases".

Guess I'm a little slow. It took me until "If Android's freedom of choice were actually winning over T-Mobile's customers, Brodman wouldn't have needed to beg his customers to consider the alternatives" to think DED.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

Guess I'm a little slow. It took me until "If Android's freedom of choice were actually winning over T-Mobile's customers, Brodman wouldn't have needed to beg his customers to consider the alternatives" to think DED.

Guys, why does any of this matter? Who is this guy? Who gives a frick? Seriously, this is as annoying as that one guy who doesn't post anything but "OH TYPO HERP DERP".
  • Reply 17 of 50
    I don't Apple will ever make any effort to make the iPhone compatible with T-Mobile's 3G frequency because the market is just too small. They should pray that the baseband chip Apple chose to put in iPhone 5 will just happen to support their AWS band. I think this is the best they can hope for.

US consumers are screwed. In most of the rest of the world, multiple carriers share the 2100 band happily. In the US, not only are there only two GSM carriers, but also one of them has to use an uncommon band. Essentially there is no portability at all; if you switch carrier you pretty much have to change your phone unless you don't use 3G data. And now at&t is saying buying T-Mobile will provide more competition.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Ugh, your customers want gold you offer them toe cheese.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I bet the next iPhone will work perfectly with T-Mobile 3G but Apple will not sign a deal with T-Mobile to offer the iPhone subsidized.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Guys, why does any of this matter? Who is this guy? Who gives a frick? Seriously, this is as annoying as that one guy who doesn't post anything but "OH TYPO HERP DERP".

We have many DED stalkers here.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I don't think you understand business. Apple wants to be on all the carriers. But as a starting point, AT&T didn't pay Apple anything other then its subsidies for the iPhone. AT&T gave Apple control of the customer experience, Apple gave AT&T exclusivity. AT&T gained tremendously because the iPhone became huge. Google, however, benefited because it used Apple's exclusivity with AT&T against Apple to become entrenched on the other networks. All Verizon got was a six month period of exclusivity. Maybe Sprint has the same.

It doesn't, however, make sense for Apple to open the flood gates to all carriers at once. By opening it up to one carrier at a time, Apple can 1) better manage inventory; and 2) better sustain growth. If Apple goes Sprint this quarter it will get a sales bump, which will translate into earnings. If it then goes T-Mobile next quarter, it then will get another sales bump next Quarter. For earnings purposes that is better.

Also having carriers initially come on board in different Quarters also manages future sales better because people's contracts expiring will be spread out into different Quarters over the networks. For instance, the iPhone was introduced on Verizon and AT&T's networks in different Quarters so Apple can expect renewals to be spread out.

Apple benefits from their being as many carriers as possible as it provides it more leverage when negotiating subsidies. It only makes sense for Apple to bring Sprint on board first considering the uncertainty with T-Mobile's future. Apple doesn't want Sprint's customers fleeing. T-Mobile will come on board last if AT&T doesn't buy it.

Quote:

T-Mobile is acting short-sighted in this case or just doesn't care anymore knowing it will either be eaten up by AT&T or Sprint. AT&T paid major money for the iPhone, as did Verizon, and likewise with Sprint. If T-Mobile wanted to survive, it would cough up the money to Apple and take a temporary loss for a MAJOR long-term gain.