Rumor: Apple may discontinue iPod shuffle, classic this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Actually, an iPod touch with 64GB of NAND flash memory has been around for nearly a year. It's an old milestone.

Cost base analysis says, "OUCH!". 64GB for $400 or 160GB for $249? I use the iPod while wheelin in the Jeep, crusin the lake in the boat, tailgating before the game and outdoor type places that don't need all solid state. I realize I'm not the major market but aren't most us Apple types? I hope they don't retire the Classic.
  • Reply 22 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Classic has no app revenue stream like the Touch. Nano form factor has reached shuffle-ness. The button interface was nice though. We're still using the original shuffle and my original Nano. With syncing an everyday occurrence now, capacity ain't the driver it used to be.

Then merge touch and classic.

Edit: and improve the DACs. The Wolfsons used are not my fav.
  • Reply 23 of 81
    Quote:

Actually, an iPod touch with 64GB of NAND flash memory has been around for nearly a year. It's an old milestone.

No, individual chips, not an iPod touch with two 32GB chips in it.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Although, it's still fun to see my teenage kids (and their pals) gather around it as though it was some strange object from the 17th cent.

I think that the majority of kids today have no concept of what good audio is supposed to sound like and most of them have probably never even heard good audio in their entire life. Somebody sticking cheap, small earbuds in their ears and listening to compressed audio does not qualify as quality audio.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    I find it hard to believe that they are killing the Shuffle too. It only makes sense if they are replacing it with the Nanos, but seems like that won't happen anytime soon with the new Nanos getting cameras (or maybe that plan failed?). The Shuffle is hot during Christmas as a cheap (in terms of cost) and decent gift, and it doesn't make sense for Apple to leave that price segment empty.
  • Reply 26 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think that the majority of kids today have no concept of what good audio is supposed to sound like and most of them have probably never even heard good audio in their entire life. Somebody sticking cheap, small earbuds in their ears and listening to compressed audio does not qualify as quality audio.

Those kids have deficient parents.

You can take your kid to a classical concert and hear superb audio. I went to these concerts as a kid, they still exist today.

If today's kids haven't heard good sound, that's entirely the parents' fault. Don't blame Apple or other MP3 player manufacturers.
  • Reply 27 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Classic: Yes, I have my whole library in work, and can shuffle 160GB all day, week, year long. Now you want to limit me to 16GB again? no thanks.

I didn't read anything about Apple confiscating your iPod Classic if they decide to discontinue it.
  • Reply 28 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I think the majority of people can't distinguish. The consumer believes CD is transparent to the source; that CD is the reference that can't be improved upon; that digital is pure.

Anyway, I can't blame Apple for making what the customer will buy. I'm thankful that their devices do lossless. They aren't forgetting about me.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

I didn't read anything about Apple confiscating your iPod Classic if they decide to discontinue it.

I think his point is he can move his library in and out of 160 GB with acceptable pain. Cut that to 1/3 or by more and it sucks. WHEN the iPod fails, what's the alternative? Rate limited, expensive streaming when the music is already on his NAS?
  • Reply 30 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I think the majority of people can't distinguish. The consumer believes CD is transparent to the source; that CD is the reference that can't be improved upon; that digital is pure.

Anyway, I can't blame Apple for making what the customer will buy. I'm thankful that their devices do lossless. They aren't forgetting about me.

It's a shame the iDevices can't do 96kHz/24-bit audio playback though.

• Reply 31 of 81
    yeah but the younger market and alot of the older market wont pay 399 for 64GB iTouch,when the 160 gb is cheaper and has more space
  • Reply 32 of 81
    Quote:

I'll put myself in that majority. I can distinguish to a point, but nobody would mistake me for an audiophile. I do refuse to use earbuds, though.
  • Reply 33 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post

yeah but the younger market and alot of the older market wont pay 399 for 64GB iTouch,when the 160 gb is cheaper and has more space

While Apple does not break out sales figures of the various iPod models, it is commonly believed that the iPod touch is now the number-one selling iPod. If I recall correctly, an Apple executive revealed this detail although did not get into specifics.

The iPod classic is no longer a top seller which is why the rumor of the iPod classic's imminent demise has come up several times. Apple did not update this device last year.

The iPod classic has a tiny market. If Apple upgrades the iPod touch to 128GB, the iPod classic is gone.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

I think they should keep the iPod Classic until the Touch has over 120GB of storage, i.e. not for another year or so right?

The iPod Shuffle is my favorite iPod and the only one I use.

Apple always does a "One more thing", but if they get rid of the shuffle and the classic, it's a little hard to do a "One more thing" with so many things.

First, the iPod Touch is only rumored to be getting a minor upgrade and possibly 3G.

Second, 128GB flash has been rumored but Apple has yet to do anything with it.

Third, they would have to introduce a 2GB nano in order to keep the shuffle fans from deflecting.

Can't wait to see what happens. This is make or break time, first release with Cook as CEO.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    Quote:

I'll put myself in that majority. I can distinguish to a point, but nobody would mistake me for an audiophile. I do refuse to use earbuds, though.

And lots depends on gear. I'd never fault someone for putting food and family over reference audio gear and long as no one would fault me for starving my family (rest their souls) for upgrading my tubes.

Seriously though, I don't want 3 encodes for each tune and sync differently to each device or how would that work streaming to AppleTV?
  • Reply 36 of 81
    Quote:

I think his point is he can move his library in and out of 160 GB with acceptable pain. Cut that to 1/3 or by more and it sucks. WHEN the iPod fails, what's the alternative? Rate limited, expensive streaming when the music is already on his NAS?

I got the point. I was fighting drama with more drama.

I think the problem most people have is that our data seems to swell to fit the size of the container we have. I usually buy the higher-capacity gadgets, because I don't sync very often. I'm trying to break that habit, though.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    Quote:

Those kids have deficient parents.

You can take your kid to a classical concert and hear superb audio. I went to these concerts as a kid, they still exist today.

If today's kids haven't heard good sound, that's entirely the parents' fault. Don't blame Apple or other MP3 player manufacturers.

I'm not blaming Apple or other MP3 devices.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    Quote:

It's a shame the iDevices can't do 96kHz/24-bit audio playback though.

I'd be happy with 44.1k and 24 bit on my iPad. I think that it only does 44.1k and 16 bit. I use some music creation apps on the iPad and 24 bit would make a big difference over 16 bit.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Classic, sure, but shuffle? The shuffle is popular.

At any rate, if it happens, I'll pick up a third gen and a fourth gen. Then I'll have one of each.

Replace my second-gen being used as a tie clip with the third-gen (which is more stylistically appropriate but requires the headphones to appear as what it is. Good as gold.

Maybe even find a brand-new stainless steel third-gen.

At first blush I want to agree with this, but the more I think about it, the nano will be the shuffle+ screen. It mostly is now. Really the only issue is the price, and if they can get the screen/RAM price low enough they should be able to offer the nano for... maybe $89 by this time next year? Maybe offer a 4/8/16 line up for 89/119/149?

That has the potential to sell really well i would think. Maybe target the active market. Remove the FM radio and add GPS for run/bike/hike tracking. Can they fit a basic GPS in there? Is that too small?
  • Reply 40 of 81
    Quote:

I got the point. I was fighting drama with more drama.

I think the problem most people have is that our data seems to swell to fit the size of the container we have. I usually buy the higher-capacity gadgets, because I don't sync very often. I'm trying to break that habit, though.

Understand. As an iPod Classic user for the Jeep, boat and other I can't upgrade to something that's 2/3s the capacity at twice the price with features I'll never use. I don't want to re-sync based on the event. Sheesh, I thought tech was supposed to save me time, hassle, and repetitive.