Rumor: Apple may discontinue iPod shuffle, classic this year

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

It's a shame the iDevices can't do 96kHz/24-bit audio playback though.

Agreed; what do you think the odds are of iTunes and my iPod supporting FLAC any time soon?
  • Reply 42 of 81
    0.001%

So yeah, there's hope, just not a lot.
  • Reply 43 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Have a Classic in reserve and a replacement battery and display from ifixit just in case theY discontinue with no notice as is the norm. I use only lossless encodes and 160GB barely contains my current music library. I am not a member of Gen-MP3.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the quality of "iTunes Plus" (256kbps VBR) encoded files. VERY good quality - totally acceptable for a portable player. Just keep the lossless files on your computer so you have them archived.

But...

Apple better have at least a 128GB iPod touch ready when they discontinue the 160GB classic (which I will probably buy in the next couple weeks).
  • Reply 44 of 81
    Good! The Classic is too big. Who needs all that media on the road, with that tiny of a screen? The Shuffle, is too small! Get rid of it. The future is touchscreen. Just like finally getting rid of all the Plastic Macs. Best. Decision. Ever. I won't miss these devices. Simplify your offering, make the core better, move on. Way to go Apple.
  • Reply 45 of 81
    This might happen:

iPod touch becomes just iPod in 16gb 32gb 64gb and 128gb size to cover the price range from $199 to $449.

iPod nano gains camera and drops to 8GB and 16 GB for $99 and $149.

No iPod shuffle, no iPod classic

iPhone 4S $99

iPhone 5 $199 and $299

This covers every price range that Apple made money with. There's a reason why Apple had to change it's product refresh schedule, to move away from iPods. It might be possible that iPhones will come out in fall just before holidays now and not in summer. iPads come in Springs and Macs come in summer. Apple tv might get it's own schedule paired with iCloud, iTunes news.
  • Reply 46 of 81
    Quote:

Actually, an iPod touch with 64GB of NAND flash memory has been around for nearly a year. It's an old milestone.

That's accomplished with TWO 32GB modules for the last two years since Apple went from a pair of 16GB modules to a pair of 32GB ones in 2009. So it's not the old milestone you think it is.

We need a 128GB iPod Touch made with two 64GB modules to get to the next milestone. I sure hope this year's when.
  • Reply 47 of 81

They look so much like iPod Touch's don't they?

Samsung Galaxy Players hit U.S. in October, to rival Apple iPod

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...ples-ipod.html
  • Reply 48 of 81
    Quote:

While Apple does not break out sales figures of the various iPod models, it is commonly believed that the iPod touch is now the number-one selling iPod. If I recall correctly, an Apple executive revealed this detail although did not get into specifics.

The iPod classic is no longer a top seller which is why the rumor of the iPod classic's imminent demise has come up several times. Apple did not update this device last year.

The iPod classic has a tiny market. If Apple upgrades the iPod touch to 128GB, the iPod classic is gone.

according to an old appleinsider article the classic is the 5th best selling ipod of all time

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...o_go_away.html

granted this was last year, and im not important enough to get this years, but they cant ignore the fact that the classic AND the shuffle was more popular than the nano and behind all of the ipod touchs.

granted the ipod touch made up 50% of all ipod profit in the last earnings call,

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ence_call.html

if they want to carry on making as much money as they do then they can't kill it, i use my ipod classic and shuffle everyday and know many people who do (classic whilst at work & shuffle for the gym)
  • Reply 49 of 81
    Until Apple equip iPod Touch with at least 128GB (256GB, 512GB...etc) of storage, I doubt Apple will discontinue iPod Classic.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    This is not good. Apple doesn't have any iPod which can compare with the Classic for storage. The classic is a great device for bringing a substantial amount of music with you on travel, and perfect for connecting up in the car.......two of my favourite locations for mine.

The iPod Touch, and especially the iPhone don't come anywhere close in capacity!
  • Reply 51 of 81
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I think if the iPod classic is discontinued Apple will have missed an opportunity... I personally think that the iPod Classic and the AppleTV can be merge to create a great little portable media player that can be connected to your television to access Netflix and other AppleTV features...
  • Reply 52 of 81
    I will only give up my Classic when the touch has over twice the storage that exsist now.
  • Reply 53 of 81
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    What a shame if true. There are lots of cases where a simple player that you don't have to be looking at when you use it comes in very handy. People that do activities like running must have plenty of scenarios where it's true. I've been out running when rain has started and pushed my shuffle into an internal pocket to keep it dry but still been able to press the buttons. Or just press the buttons by feel, without taking my eyes of the path in front of me. Something similar applies when I'm at the gym. A change to touch limits the access to the Apple ecosystem, rather than extending it.

I think it makes sense to have a device for each physical scenario and then decide what features it can support, rather than trying to make things more spacey at each generation.
  • Reply 54 of 81
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post

Good! The Classic is too big. Who needs all that media on the road, with that tiny of a screen? .

I do.

I like to have ALL of my music with me when I'm traveling. You never know what you might want to listen to when sitting in a hotel in some third world country. And I don't want to have to resync my music every time I return.

I do like the iPod Touch and think that it will eventually replace the Classic, but I don't see it happening until storage costs drop to the point where one can get Classic levels of storage without paying much of a premium.

Classic is currently 160 GB for $249.

The largest Touch is 64 GB for $399.

I think we have a ways to go before it makes sense to drop the Classic.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    davdav Posts: 115member
    another important issue that (i don't think) has been touched on, is that the iPod Classic will still charge via a firewire connection (not sync, charge). this is important to me, since my car's iPod connector cable supplies power that way. any other iPod won't charge while connected to my car through this cable. i can leave the iPod Classic installed in the car and not have to remove it to charge it back up, only to update if i add more audio to my iTunes library.

side note, i don't get the romanticism over vinyl. if one prefers the sound that's great, but technically it isn't better. digital and vinyl both have issues.
  • Reply 56 of 81
    Apple wants all of us to move into the cloud at purchase iTunes Match. The days of larger capacity devices are gone. This allows them to further reduce their COGS and increase profits of devices like the iPhone and iPod touch while forcing us consumers to move into their service for our large libraries. A 3G iPod Touch makes sense for this new kind of business model Apple is clearly adopting. The shuffle was never a great product to begin with. good riddance
  • Reply 57 of 81
    The battery on my original fat 160 Classic is finally starting to weaken. If the Classic is really discontinued, I may need to buy a new Classic next month.
  • Reply 58 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Auric73 View Post

This is not good. Apple doesn't have any iPod which can compare with the Classic for storage. The iPod Touch, and especially the iPhone don't come anywhere close in capacity!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by apwmel View Post

I will only give up my Classic when the touch has over twice the storage that exsist now.

And since you newbies can't seem to read the thread, I'll say again that 64GB chips have been available for some time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dtoxin View Post

Apple wants all of us to move into the cloud at purchase iTunes Match.

Apple wants pirates to purchase iTunes Match. And since we get iCloud for free, people will already be there?

Quote:

The days of larger capacity devices are gone.

Explains why they keep doubling capacities on both iDevices and Macs, then, huh.

Quote:

forcing us consumers

It's funny because you think you have to use iCloud.

Quote:

The shuffle was never a great product to begin with. good riddance

Now you're just being insane.
  • Reply 59 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

I think the point is that they're not making enough money. classic and shuffle has their purposes, sure, but Apple generally doesn't aim for niche market.

Not enough? Does that equal a LOSS of $$$ or just not enough profit? If they are not losing $$$ on the sale of the shuffle and Classic, they shouldn't drop them. I am in the market for a new iPod Classic (my 4th gen was dropped from a moving car - don't ask). I guess I need to pick one up this weekend.
  • Reply 60 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

Apple might just make a dual 512GB blade SSD-based iPod with 1TB of RAID-0 storage, of course, that would be a $2000 iPod, but wouldn't it be coooool!?

EDIT: Flash is the wave of the future and where everything is going....iPods, iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, and eventually all desktops will come with SSD as standard...physical spinning hard drives are going to be a thing of the past, they are much slow(er), they are crash/fault prone, and because of the moving parts they are not as durable...drop an iPod classic while music is playing, the music may stop, or you may damage the internal HD altogether and have to get a new one. Flash is light and durable, and you really don't have to worry about all the issues that plauge physical spinning disks. We see Apple did this with the MacBook Air, no longer offering a HD-based variant, they are all Flash/SSD now.

The only thing, they better not make the iPods out of glass like the iPhone 4, because you barely drop the thing and it shatters.

Drop a classic and maybe damage the HD if it is spinning, otherwise it should be fine. Drop an iPod Touch and watch the LCD shatter, whether it is playing or not. Each has its own weakness.