Talk of two new iPhone models continues to cool off ahead of Apple event

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mholtz2323 View Post

Just because there is talk of one iPhone being introduced, doesn't mean it's the iPhone 4s.

Apple is testing the iPhone 5 in iPhone 4 like shells.

The iPhone 5 has a 4 inch screen, 8 mp camera, a5 chip and has a slightly tapered design.

There may or may not be a cheaper version of the iPhone 4 with less memory, but the iPhone 5 is certainly real.

Your first post and you're that certain? Any proof?
  • Reply 42 of 73
    Apple would be stupid to announce the 4S after the splash Amazon made today.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mholtz2323 View Post

The iPhone 5 has a 4 inch screen, 8 mp camera, a5 chip and has a slightly tapered design.

Except not only do you not know that, you can't POSSIBLY know that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Having absolutely nothing to do with smartphones and serving a completely different market.
  • Reply 44 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's based off the original, which is the troll face throwing up troll faces.

I tried to find that and suggest it as an alternative (because you can't post a picture of a political figure without someone being offended), but I couldn't, which I found strange.

That's mature.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Yes we are all Android loving trolls who are concerned about Apples new releases.

You are the worst kind of commentator here. Apple is never wrong. If Apple released the iPhone 4 with a 10% bump in processor speed you would be ecstatic.

We can be fans of Apple and criticse them. If all their design team has done in a year and a half is add a new camera and a new processor - which takes no design skills , in fact - then criticism is warranted. I was at a lunch today where nobody had an iPhone though sone used to. People move between models. An iPhone 4 copy with a new processor will change none of these peoples buying decisions

This x 1000 ↑↑↑↑↑↑

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I hope it's a brand new model (larger screen). Otherwise this "Let's talk iPhone" will be a very short conversation.

Agreed. There is far too much competition for Apple not to introduce a major redesign/upgrade on Tues. Prob a 4" screen, with a super thin "unibody" aluminum, tapered chassis. Basically what most tech bloggers have predicted for a while now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Yep. I will just keep using my Samsung Focus running Mango and buy an iPad for my iOS needs. I NEED a 4 inch screen (old eyes). Nothing bigger, just 4 inches.

I guess we will see (excuse the pun).

Focus is a damn fine device. I still have yet to receive my Mango update..
  • Reply 45 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Only one phone=4s=failure.

You seem to be borne out by the surveys, which say that an iPhone 5 would be bought by a whopping 40% of ALL CELLPHONE USERS in North America, while a 4S would get less than 15%.

Of course, given that the i4 currently has about a 4% market penetration worldwide, 15% ain't too shabby.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realitycheck69 View Post

Only one phone=4s=failure.

How so?
  • Reply 47 of 73
    Gruber mentioned today that the tapered design was a bad idea in landscape, with weight distribution and thickness. Thinking about it I agree with him.

Its gonna look like the iphone 4.... which is still great looking.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

That's mature.

I think you're reading that wrong.

Quote:

Agreed. There is far too much competition for Apple not to introduce a major redesign/upgrade on Tues.

Competition from the zero phones that sell more models than the two and a half year old iPhone 3GS?
  • Reply 49 of 73
    I think the "1" alert icon just represents the invite (as a message left by Apple).

But if it's meant to be a clue, I would say it could be a clue to a Version 1.0 of something completely new for iPhone!
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbydon View Post

How so?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The same survey suggests that customer interest will be significantly lower in case Apple announces a softer iPhone update, ?akin to the 3GS version of the iPhone that Apple released in 2009.? In this instance fewer than 15% of mobile users would buy such a device.

Amazing numbers. An i5 would get 40%.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    You could read anything you like into the "1" on the phone icon. Personally, I am reading into it that there will no longer be two versions of the iPhone (one for Verizon and one for AT&T) and instead the new iPhone 5 will work with CDMA and GSM (and possibly LTE as well).
  • Reply 52 of 73
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    I do hope apple is listening to all you experts, as they obviously have no idea how to run their company. People create rumors, guess at launch dates, then create delays, problems where none exist as nothing has been announced.

Apple will state on the fourth what the new product is, heck, these rumor mills couldn't even get guesses on the new kindle correct, so u don't have a hope with the new iDevices.

How about all you so called experts criticising the most successful company on the planet just wait for the announcement, and stop criticising based on supposition, ignorance and arrogance.

Of course then you'll all complain about how disappointed you are and how apple is doomed. (tm). Just as you did when the ipod was announced, the iphone was announced and the ipad was announced, it's boring, repetitive and predictable. And somehow apple is worth mkre than any company on the planet.

Please stop mistaking your guesswork and opinion as fact, it's quite tedious
  • Reply 53 of 73
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Yep. I will just keep using my Samsung Focus running Mango and buy an iPad for my iOS needs. I NEED a 4 inch screen (old eyes). Nothing bigger, just 4 inches.

I guess we will see (excuse the pun).

I see, because the difference between a 3.7 display with the highest resolution on the market place is so much smaller and more difficult to read than a 4 inch display with a third less pixels...?
  • Reply 54 of 73
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I have never seen the point of two iPhones. The iPhone 4 is selling well. The iPhone 5 will probably beat that. So why would Apple bother updating the iPhone 4. Just ride that pony for another year.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

Why? What does a smartphone announcement have to do with a tablet announcement?
  • Reply 56 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Similarly, John Gruber of Daring Fireball offered his own commentary on Tuesday after the invitations went out: "Something tells me there's only one new iPhone," the well-sourced author wrote.

Quit tossing Gruber off.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    The one would be, the chip that will finally make the iPhone the one true '1 World Phone'.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I have never seen the point of two iPhones. The iPhone 4 is selling well. The iPhone 5 will probably beat that. So why would Apple bother updating the iPhone 4. Just ride that pony for another year.

For sure. There was that rumour of the cheaper non-glass back casing for the iP4 a while back, apart from that I wouldn't see the need to do change anything to have it as the lower-end model.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbydon View Post

How so?

How many OTHER smartphones with a 3.5" or smaller screen are available new on AT&T or Verizon or Sprint right now that aren't also half-keyboard (a-la Blackberry)?

Give up?

Verizon: 5 out of 22, all less than $100 on contract; no marquee phone less than 4" (most 4.3).

Sprint: 5 out of 14, all less than $100 on contract.

AT&T: 5 out of 16, and 4 are sliders, with most costing between 0 and 1 cent.

Look, I can only speak for myself - not surveys or marketing or whether "the most successful company in the world" can do no wrong. For me, there is no longer sufficient iOS advantage to outweigh using an outmoded screen size from a competitor. I love the way Apple builds products and the design of iOS, but I have many, many, many more choices now than I did two years ago. My fingers can barely fit on the 3.5" screen for pinch-zooming, and my eyes have been ravaged by 20 years in IT, so if we see another iPhone 4 on Tuesday, I'll probably pick up a Galaxy S2 by Friday.

(details of quick survey - 3.5" or smaller screens - a.k.a. "The Bargain Bin":

Verizon

- LG Equilibrium $80

- Motorola Citrus $0

- Samsung Continuum $50

- Palm Pre 2 $50

- LG V-something $40

Sprint

- Kyocera Milano $50

- HTC Evo Shift $50(?)

- LG Optimus $40

- Samsung Conquer $99.99

- Samsung Transform $50

AT&T

- LG Quantum $50

- HP Veer $0.01 (slider)

- LG Phoenix $0.01

- Pantech Crossover $0 (slider)

- Sharp FX $0 (slider)

- Blackberry Torch $30 (slider)

)
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

For me, there is no longer sufficient iOS advantage to outweigh using an outmoded screen size from a competitor.

And if it's larger than 3.5", I'll never buy one. It will never be outmoded for me. Larger screens are 'outmoded'.

To each his own.