Roughly 40% of mobile users in North America and UK plan to buy the iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Two new studies have revealed rising interest in Apple?s forthcoming iPhone 5 from North American and UK mobile users at the expense of rival mobile platforms from Google and Research in Motion.

One study conducted by mobile ad network InMobi reveals that 41% of mobile phone users in U.S., Mexico and Canada want to buy the iPhone 5 in the future. Of those interested in the device, 50% would purchase it in the first six months after launch.

The same survey suggests that customer interest will be significantly lower in case Apple announces a softer iPhone update, ?akin to the 3GS version of the iPhone that Apple released in 2009.? In this instance fewer than 15% of mobile users would buy such a device.

Analyzing customer retention and new users, InMobi says its data indicates that 51% of current iPhone owners would switch to the iPhone 5 but that only 11% of them would choose a so-called iPhone 4S.

As for current BlackBerry & Android users, 52% and 27%, respectively, said they would choose the iPhone 5. In the event Apple announces only an iPhone 4S model, fewer BlackBerry and Android device owners would be likely to make the switch to iOS ? 28% and 11%, respectively.

In a second study covering the UK, research firm InMobi found similar responses.

For instance, 39% of mobile users in that study said they want to buy an iPhone 5 with 48% of them committed to purchasing the device in the first six months from launch. Only 12% of them said they'd buy an iPhone 4S.

At the same time, 62% of UK iPad users said they plan to purchase a iPhone 5, while 45% of BlackBerry users and 24% of Android device owners said they would purchase the upcoming handset. Interest in an iPhone 4S was also significantly lower in the UK market, at 25%, 7% and 18%, respectively.

When asked what potential features of a new iPhone they'd find most appealing, survey respondents said they'd want ?improved battery life, increased processing speed, higher-quality screen resolution and stronger phone service.?

The InMobi study also indicates that Apple stands to gain critical mobile market share in the future with the arrival of the iPhone 5, with responses indicating the Cupertino-based company's slice of the North American market could grow from 27% to 41% while is share in the UK could rise from 20% to 40%.

Apple on Tuesday sent out invites for its Oct. 4 ?Let?s talk iPhone? event expected to be hosted by Tim Cook on the company?s Cupertino, California campus.

It remains unclear how many distinct iPhones the company plans to announce next week. Some reports claim Apple will sell two new iPhones this year -- a low-end iPhone 4S and a high-end iPhone 5 -- while others indicate that a single fifth-generation iPhone will make its debut.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The same survey suggests that customer interest will be significantly lower in case Apple announces a softer iPhone update, ?akin to the 3GS version of the iPhone that Apple released in 2009.? In this instance fewer than 15% of mobile users would buy such a device.

Uh oh.
  • Reply 2 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Uh oh.

Not me... my 3GS is due for the second hand market.

Just bring it. But boy the websites will be swamped when they open for ordering.
  • Reply 3 of 42
    You can lump me in with that group. Apple's had an extra six months on this model. A slight bump under the hood of last year's model isn't enough to warrant a purchase IMHO.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    I find it hard to believe any study that says people will blindly buy a phone which no confirmed details have been released about whatsoever. It's not yet announced. Therefor there isn't a soul on this earth that could be accurately surveyed for a telling response.

This just announced! The new iPhone 5. It's half the size but only packs half the battery life! Yea, i bet that would change some minds. Not that it would happen, but seriously, nobody can know with 100% certainty what the next phone will be so how can anyone blindly say they'll just drop 200-400 bones and renew a 2 year contract without any information on the product. Most people think it's going to be 4G. Wont they be shocked if it isn't? I'd imagine that would seriously impair someones opinion of the phone.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    Quote:

Uh oh.

Except it won't matter due to the vastly increased number of iPhone 4s they'll still be selling.
  • Reply 6 of 42
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

nobody can know with 100% certainty what the next phone will be so how can anyone blindly say they'll just drop 200-400 bones and renew a 2 year contract without any information on the product.

I know with 100 certainly that I am.

Quote:

Most people think it's going to be 4G. Wont they be shocked if it isn't? I'd imagine that would seriously impair someones opinion of the phone.

I've spoken to several people who think the current iPhone is 4G. Most people don't even understand what any of this stuff is anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 42
    Quote:

Uh oh.

Consumer surveys are notoriously inaccurate and consumer opinion is endlessly changeable.

The reason why is that people are just not that smart and most are quite unaware of their own motivations or future intentions.

I remember the same thing happening when the 3Gs came out. Everyone said they were disappointed and what a lame upgrade it was ... then they went out and bought it in droves.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    I think the conclusion to be drawn is a little different than the headline. It is more along the lines of 75% of Android users are happy with their Android phone, while only half of iPhone users see a need to upgrade to the next iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 42
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    This brings up an interesting question. I wonder what upgrade options AT&T will offer for someone like me who bought an iPhone 4 the day it was released. I want to upgrade to an iPhone 5 for the camera alone, but if the speed improvement info is true, I'll REALLY want to upgrade! I wonder what it'll cost me?
  • Reply 10 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

You can lump me in with that group. Apple's had an extra six months on this model. A slight bump under the hood of last year's model isn't enough to warrant a purchase IMHO.

It depends what you consider to be a "slight bump under the hood". Desktop computers have matured to the point where every iteration is a "slight bump under the hood" yet people continue buying them. I think the iPhone 5 is going to gain more from iOS 5 than from new hardware. Mobile requires a balance of power and efficiency. I think the hardware is going to be enough of a bump to support the amazing features of iOS 5 and nothing more. iOS is what is going to sell this phone.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    Headline is inaccurate. Should read "roughly 40% of mobile phone users surveyed... plan to buy the iPhone 5". It's ridiculous that such a small sample can be extrapolated to include the entire population of mobile phone users.
  • Reply 12 of 42
    I don't see that being the trend. Apple is average around 20 million iPhone's a quarter. The majority of those phones are not being sold to previous iPhone users.

I would believe most people with Android phones did not directly choose an Android specifically. The phone they bought was either cheap or free.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I think the conclusion to be drawn is a little different than the headline. It is more along the lines of 75% of Android users are happy with their Android phone, while only half of iPhone users see a need to upgrade to the next iPhone.

• Reply 13 of 42
    The iPhone is successful because of the software. Most people don't care about the hardware.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

• Reply 14 of 42
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

This brings up an interesting question. I wonder what upgrade options AT&T will offer for someone like me who bought an iPhone 4 the day it was released. I want to upgrade to an iPhone 5 for the camera alone, but if the speed improvement info is true, I'll REALLY want to upgrade! I wonder what it'll cost me?

I talk to a AT&T representative las night she told me almost everything would be the same as when I upgraded from my 3G to 3GS to 4, the one thing she did not know was the price.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Headline is inaccurate. Should read "roughly 40% of mobile phone users surveyed... plan to buy the iPhone 5". It's ridiculous that such a small sample can be extrapolated to include the entire population of mobile phone users.

I believe what you are suggesting is counting, not a survey.

How small was the sample size? I must have missed it in the article.

Edit: or they didn't give a sample size and you made that up. I'm such a sucker.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

same boat, not supposed to upgrade until nov 20, it always seems like if your not of the first to get your order in then you have to wait a month to 2 months to. i remember ordering my iphone 4 and waiting for like 2 weeks to ship, and it seemed like forever, when some people were already getting there phones.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    "When asked what potential features of a new iPhone they'd find most appealing, survey respondents said they'd want ?improved battery life, increased processing speed, higher-quality screen resolution and stronger phone service.?

Maybe increased battery life, but I think iPhone 4 does pretty well. As for the others:

- how many people are complaining about processing speed? sure there are some gamers or techies out there who really care. I would say most people don't even notice.

- Higher quality screen resolution: Can it get any better?

- Stronger phone service. More a function of the service provider than the device.

This is why Steve Jobs does not listen to customers.

I'm looking for a new form factor for style points, and a major iOS upgrade for functionality improvements.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sidste View Post

"When asked what potential features of a new iPhone they'd find most appealing, survey respondents said they'd want ?improved battery life, increased processing speed, higher-quality screen resolution and stronger phone service.?

Maybe increased battery life, but I think iPhone 4 does pretty well. As for the others:

- how many people are complaining about processing speed? sure there are some gamers or techies out there who really care. I would say most people don't even notice.

- Higher quality screen resolution: Can it get any better?

- Stronger phone service. More a function of the service provider than the device.

This is why Steve Jobs does not listen to customers.

I'm looking for a new form factor for style points, and a major iOS upgrade for functionality improvements.

1) These are the basic components the average person seems to have a handle on, so if asked outright without a list to choose from these are likely going to be most common on a questionnaire.

2) It sounds like they were answering in comparison to their current cellphone not specifically what the next iPhone will have to do over the current one before they are interested.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    I feel like this study is almost useless considering no-one actually knows for sure what the iPhone 5 is.