Apple issues fix for flickering issue with 24" Cinema Display and Thunderbolt

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has released a firmware update for its 24-inch LED Cinema Display that resolves a flickering issue that occurred when connected to the company's newer Thunderbolt-equipped Macs.

According to the company's notes included with the update, the 24-inch LED Cinema Display Firmware Update will only install when connected to a Mac with the Thunderbolt interconnect. Apple also warns that using a Mini DisplayPort extender cable may not resolve the issue.

Users are advised to disconnect non-essential USB and FireWire devices before applying the 926KB update. The firmware requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later.

According to MacNN, one customer has received notification of the update from Apple France along with the warning that the patch is still in testing. The publication noted that most other Cinema Display who were experiencing the issue report "complete success" after applying the firmware, rebooting the system and power cycling the monitor.

Last week, AppleInsider reported that Apple was looking into a fix after receiving numerous complaints about the issue. The problem first cropped up in February after the release of the early 2011 MacBook Pro, the first Mac to receive Thunderbolt.

Apple introduced the 24-inch LED Cinema Display in 2008, then discontinued it in 2010 in order to consolidate its monitor offerings.

In July, the Mac maker unveiled the $999 27-inch "Thunderbolt Display." The new display is well-equipped to serve as a docking station for Mac notebooks and includes a MagSafe charger, three USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 800 port, one Gigabit Ethernet port and a Thunderbolt port. Up to five Thunderbolt devices, including an additional monitor, can be daisy chained to the display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    That was a good movie. Flicker.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    About bloody time Apple (if its true). This should have been fixed a long time ago
  • Reply 3 of 9
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nudist View Post

About bloody time Apple (if its true). This should have been fixed a long time ago

This specific issue is less than 8 weeks old. Pretty good going.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Why did they release the defective software in the first place?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Actually the flickering issue has been going on since it's release in 2008. Surprised that now they are trying to fox it and blame Thunderbolt port for it. So yea it is about time they get on this.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pettiger15 View Post

Actually the flickering issue has been going on since it's release in 2008. Surprised that now they are trying to fox it and blame Thunderbolt port for it. So yea it is about time they get on this.

Well I have the Display Hooked up to end of 2009-2010 Powerbook Pro and I have experienced the Flicker on occasion.. The updater won't let me at it as I have no Thunderbolt.... Maybe one day....
  • Reply 7 of 9
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Why did they release the defective software in the first place?

It's an intermittent issue experienced by a minority of users, this issue wouldn't have bedn known about until it was reported in the wild.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pettiger15 View Post

This is a firmware update specufically for an issue related to thunderbolt coonections to this specific monitor, nothing else. If you have a flickering issue other than this, then you should contact applecare and have it corrected or your money refunded.

Geez, how can people criticise a company for fixing a problem?!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Does this resolve the inability connect an ACD to an ATD that's connected to a Mac via Thunderbolt?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I'm having this flickering issue (including the display turning off and back on intermittently) with my 2011 MBA i7 and my 24" Cinema Display. Called AppleCare this morning to ask about it...and the rep did not know about this "update". He suggested I lug the display and computer into the store