Steve Jobs contacted Samsung in 2010 to resolve Apple patent dispute

Comments

• Reply 61 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

I don't think the general public even knows there is a lawsuit. The general public can't name their congressman and thinks their OS is "internet explorer" and that their internet connection is through google. Nerds and most males under 25 might be the exception, and that is why the forums where this is so often discussed are such a joy, they involve thousands of testosterone crazed gamer virgins whose identity is all tied up in whatever product they spent their hard earned dell tech support money on.....

That is why Apple is focusing on the "general public" with all of its newest products.

The testosterone crazed gamer market is very small compared to the market filled with people who know nothing except "Internet Explorer", "Google" and 'iPhone". The general public has made Apple a very wealthy multinational corporation. They sell to the general public, and they don't care about the geeks or the enthusiast market.

Let Samsung cater to the geeks. Apple sells to Grandma.
  • Reply 62 of 134
    And the Samsung guy said to Jobs...

"When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master!"
  • Reply 63 of 134
    Quote:

If you really think most people can read the box, you have a higher opinion of most people than modern psychology gives us reason to have. That isn't being illiterate, it is just that being able to reading, reading, and understanding it are three separate issues.

I am not saying most sales are made by trickery. In fact I suspect very very few are. It is more a matter of ignorance. People ignore what they don't care to be bothered with. A little confirmation bias, a little cognitive dissonance, next thing you know you bought the "totally way better than an iPhone" that happens to be all they have in stock. Welcome to the human mind.

I am not arguing psychology here. I simply stated that most people can read the box (97 - 99 percent literacy in the U.S.) and understand the difference between an Apple product and a Samsung product. IF they choose to ignore this and then claim ignorance instead of doing some basic research via a simple Google/Bing search (like the aforementioned radio celebrity who bought the side loading washer and dryer) deserve what they get.

Either way. These patent wars are out of control. Nothing good will come from them. We are just giving money to lawyers which could be used on innovation. So what if Samsung schleps a few products that are somewhat similar in appearance to the iPhone and iPad. Apple is still making a fortune and the only thing that will ruin Apple is Apple's hubris (see Sony's downfall in the digital music market). If they keep that in check, they will do well. The simple fact is NOT everyone is going to buy an Apple product.

Apple needs to accept this and move on and keep doing what they do best, create great (usually - cough Pippin cough) products. So what if Apple only makes 90% of the money they potentially could have made....it will still be in the BILLIONS of $$$. Sooner or later these copycats (as they are described here) will make a mistake and it will cost them dearly. Apple shouldn't be suing Samsung as it is a waste of money, time and energy. They SHOULD follow through with taking their semiconductor business away from Samsung as fast as possible. Not THAT will hurt Samsung.

Also, we need competitors in the market. It is just a bonus that the competitor makes a sub par product compared to Apple. Apple will do better by having someone buy a competitor's product and being disappointed with it. Apple might get new business, the competitor loses business, the competitor gets negative mind share, etc. This will have a much more profound effect that a bunch of lawyers (I hate lawyers - several friends and family members are lawyers - nothing but professional liars) siphoning $$$ from companies that could be used somewhere else.
  • Reply 64 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We wanted to give them a chance to do the right thing."

This line was hilarious.
  • Reply 65 of 134
    Quote:

I don't think the general public even knows there is a lawsuit. The general public can't name their congressman and thinks their OS is "internet explorer" and that their internet connection is through google. Nerds and most males under 25 might be the exception, and that is why the forums where this is so often discussed are such a joy, they involve thousands of testosterone crazed gamer virgins whose identity is all tied up in whatever product they spent their hard earned dell tech support money on.....

What does Apple think? I suspect that you are mostly right, Steve and the culture he formed at Apple would never behave like samsung has, so to them it is a breach of honor. And above mentioned males lacking identity aside, samsung copied so blatantly they should be embarrassed. But I doubt it has any chance legally.

I find it interesting that Apple sues Samsung for copying the look and feel, but then does the following (just two simple examples):

Apple has added the notification bar to iOS 5. It looks a lot like the notification bar in Android.

Apple is touting wireless syncing in iOS 5, yet the laughed at the same feature when it was introduced in the Zune a few years ago.

Apple is not as honorable as you might think. They are a corporation out to make $$$ for their shareholders.
  • Reply 66 of 134
    If there is one thing that characterizes Apple's corporate history, it is its ability to learn from its mistakes (lost bar iPhones aside). Apple should never again leave itself open to the kind of extortion and leverage that Samsung has. Too many eggs in one basket. Fortunately, they have a CEO in place who has made his reputation on supply chain management. The right man for the job.
  • Reply 67 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

Consider how much disdain Samsung has for its customers when they find out there's no iTunes, no App Store, and the Samsung UI lacks the intuitiveness and elegance of iOS. Samsungs arrogance is stunning.

I think you meant to post
  • Reply 68 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I wonder if Samsung believed the iPhone GUI was okay to use because Google was behind it? Why should Apple sue Samsung when it is Google that created Android? Or do they sincerely believe there is no shame in blatantly copying another company's product?

Wizard of Oz (Samsung): "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

Dorothy (Apple): "Why ... why ... you're nothing but a humbug!"
  • Reply 69 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Mock Turtleneck View Post

I'm not a lawyer or a judge either, but I know there are only so many ways you can make a rounded rectangle. The original Galaxy S phone does bear striking similarities to the 3GS despite the size I'll give you that. But the Galaxy Tab Apple's been trying so desperately to get it banned? Hardly.

There are so many ways that Samsung could have made the Galaxy Tab different than the iPad. Color, button placement, style of icons, different backgrounds , arrangement of icons. The iPad isn't perfect..... play on its weaknesses instead of copying.

The copier should get a boot in the keester.

I think Samsung has a stunning lack of imagination.
  • Reply 70 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ort View Post

That's a good job? It sounds like the typical ignorant internet android fan rantings to me.

Anyone who looks at this stuff can see that Samsung is blatantly copying it. Anyone who isn't a biased fanboy anyway.

But we also know that this is the real world, and that everyone copies everyone. So did they copy it enough to break the law? I don't know. I'm not a lawyer. Or a judge.

Samsung is copying...

the Galaxy S in some iterations looked just like a 3GS (the T-mobile Vibrant)

Touchwhiz is not a copy of iOS but it favors it a lot (though not as much as people act like it does)

The proprietary connector (though not an apply invention) is probably one...and the USB plug MAYBE (probably)

but that picture of the store display with the wall behind it having Apple icons is not made by Apple.
  • Reply 71 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea9999 View Post

There are so many ways that Samsung could have made the Galaxy Tab different than the iPad. Color, button placement, style of icons, different backgrounds , arrangement of icons. The iPad isn't perfect..... play on its weaknesses instead of copying.

let me guess...you're another person who thinks the injuntion on the Tab is based on it looking like an iPad huh?
  • Reply 72 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea9999 View Post

How many TVs aren't black? There is a good reason for this as perceived contrast is higher. Even insinuating Apple has a design patent on a black bezzel is absurd. Can you imagine TV companies suing each other because they are all black glossy rectangles? Look at the picture below and tell me where you see any buttons on the bezel? Do the icons and background look like an iPad? I love my iPad because of the apps, but this whole "Apple has a patent on the glossy black rectangle" is absurd.

• Reply 73 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I think you'll find I was responding to smaceslin's idiotic statement, not to anything that you may have said, idiotic or not.

While I may have misspoke when stating an 'Order' was issued, I would still not be surprised (though I don't know for a fact) that Steve's legal team asked Samsung to 'cease and desist'. Calling this statement idiotic is both rude and uncalled for in this forum. This is supposed to be a place where opinions can be made without someone being rude.
  • Reply 74 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

How many TVs aren't black? There is a good reason for this as perceived contrast is higher. Even insinuating Apple has a design patent on a black bezzel is absurd. Can you imagine TV companies suing each other because they are all black glossy rectangles? Look at the picture below and tell me where you see any buttons on the bezel? Do the icons and background look like an iPad? I love my iPad because of the apps, but this whole "Apple has a patent on the glossy black rectangle" is absurd.

I am confused...is that an iPad...an iPhone....what? So S A M S U N G is how to spell Apple these days? I now see why people were confused. It is blatant copying!!! Let keelhaul them all!!!
  • Reply 75 of 134
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    the estate of Stanley Kubrick is suing Apple and Steve Jobs for ripping off the design of the 2001 spaceship for the new Apple campus.

• Reply 76 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

the estate of Stanley Kubrick is suing Apple and Steve Jobs for ripping off the design of the 2001 spaceship for the new Apple campus.

Your Mother would be proud of your brilliance...
  • Reply 77 of 134
    I'm still shocked at how many people think the Tab was banned for looking like an iPad though. lol

Even the courts agreed the Tab doesn't look like an iPad.
  • Reply 78 of 134
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Your Mother would be proud of your brilliance...

I take that as a compliment as I am synthetic, not capable of having a Mother unless you mean as in "board".
  • Reply 79 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I'm still shocked at how many people think the Tab was banned for looking like an iPad though. lol

Even the courts agreed the Tab doesn't look like an iPad.

Enlighten us then ...
  • Reply 80 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

You went from a reasonable argument in the first paragraph to hearsay in the second paragraph. So this person couldn't read the box that clearly stated Samsung Galaxy S or what not? Really?

Trust me, you are correct in your logic, but wrong in how it actually plays out. The number 2 man in our company visited our office last month, and sat down with our Web dept lead (my boss), with a keen interest in getting tips about it "iPhone." Turns out he didn't have an iPhone. It was (shocker) an Android-powered phone. He had ZERO idea. There are a lot of (older, perhaps) people who are in fact buying these "smart" phones with zero understanding of the differentiation. They know through word-of-mouth that the iPhone is the gold standard, but somehow they are talked into another option at the point of purchase. Still, they think they have an iPhone. Totally illogical, but rampant. I know it's hard, but -- deep breath -- let your argument go.