Steve Jobs contacted Samsung in 2010 to resolve Apple patent dispute

Comments

• Reply 101 of 134
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

That's not the issue. The issue is the diluting of Apple's brand. Apple spends a lot of time, effort, and money on their designs; they are not a cookie-cutter company. They sell their products based on the designs. Everybody knows this.

So, when lazy Samsung decides to glom onto Apple's "cool factor" by stealing Apple's designs, it makes Apple's products look less special. Apple's brand is no longer distinct.

Samsung has got to be the dumbest company on the face of the earth, because they are willing to risk an almost $9 billion dollar supplier relationship with Apple just so a couple of their products can have cases that look like Apple's.

Yeah, this deserves to be quoted again. Lots of folks are snickering about how any given instance of copying is trivial, or not really that close of a copy, or certainly not enough to confuse a customer into thinking it was an Apple product.

But Samsung is very obviously hitching a ride on Apple's all over look and feel, across a number or products, packaging and accessories. The net effect isn't so much that anyone will mistake them for Apple products, but rather the distinctness of Apple's trade dress is diluted. I don't think you can look at the various pictures that have been posted and not see that that is the case.

One thing or another, there's no litigation. Put them all together, it's a pattern and triggers a lawsuit. So maybe folks could also stop seizing on this or that and carrying on like it's a bizarre a abuse of the legal system to claim such trivialities matter. It's the whole thing.
  • Reply 102 of 134
    Well, bitching and whining about Samsung here isn't going to do a bit of good.
  • Reply 103 of 134
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I find it interesting that Apple sues Samsung for copying the look and feel, but then does the following (just two simple examples):

Apple has added the notification bar to iOS 5. It looks a lot like the notification bar in Android.

Apple is touting wireless syncing in iOS 5, yet the laughed at the same feature when it was introduced in the Zune a few years ago.

Apple is not as honorable as you might think. They are a corporation out to make $$$ for their shareholders.

I have read this from you more than once. And more than once people pointed out the obvious reasons this is a bad comparison. And you keep bringing it up. I guess unlike the people you think can read and do a simple google search, you can't.

See, human nature. You sure those people are all so stupid now that you are doing it too?

The wireless syncing, to focus on one, is not copied, and they did make fun of it. They pointed out that t was too slow, and drained power. They didn't copy it, because they solved it instead. Adding the delta updates, syncing only when charging, syncing in the background so the device was usable, all these things make syncing wirelessly change from a bad idea and a joke to a workable solution. That isn't copying, not anymore than the first airplane to actually fly was a copy of all the non-working airplanes before it.

It really is that simple.
  • Reply 104 of 134
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

Consider how much disdain Samsung has for its customers when they find out there's no iTunes, no App Store, and the Samsung UI lacks the intuitiveness and elegance of iOS. Samsungs arrogance is stunning.

Do you consider consumers to be complete idiots who cant read?

Perhaps YOUR arrogance is stunning.
  • Reply 105 of 134
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple Business Students Life View Post

Was speaking with a fantastic radio host here in California - Bill Handel - Lawyer and MILIONS of listeners M-S.

He recently purchased a Samsung Washer and Dryer - his wife found a deal in NY_ cheap, free shipping.

Gets it - all the sheets et al are in a "ball" .. tries it himself, doesn't work. Calls the 800 Samsung number - guy comes out - says nothing to do - that's the machine design - defective. Then he calls them back - gets a VP - just references the 800 number.

No one does a darned thing. Does a radio show about how its impossible to get anyone at Samsung to deal with this defective product. Calls again - referenced 800 number again - this call was all the way to the top of Samsung

Still nothing - Does radio show #2 - talking about the defective Samsung washer and dryer. Still no reply.

... finally a VP in the US of Samsung hears the show and they refund the $ to Bill.

Korean business people are out to lunch in general. They are close-minded, cannot figure out the big picture. Why didn't they pick up the machine without Bill having to speak about it to MILLIONS of people in SouthernCal. Why??????? Bill had an experience with a credit card delay, misspelled name - called the company (US) and they called back in 1 hour and said that they would take the card to him before the morning show (he said FEDEX it - that's okay - great guy).

Steve Jobs made a personal call just like Bill Handel did - they seriously have PR and communication problems Samsung will lose close to $10 BILLION in business .. that could have been avoided if they simply came up with their own design and worked it out. But that is the Korean way it seems. They need seriously American or local individuals - not Korean - to communicate ...

I have had many similar personal incidences ... this is a very ARROGANT/STUPID/CLOSEMINDED company/culture in general. Its going to finally get to Samsung - like it did with the washer and dryer when the American VP called Bill and said he would take it back and refund him for the defective product.

You call yourself a "lawyer" yet you are one prejudiced one at that.

To sum up an entire nations business practices by the behavior of ONE of its company.

You signed up just to say that? How about sticking to your old account?
  • Reply 106 of 134
    Quote:

Well, bitching and whining about Samsung here isn't going to do a bit of good.

Well, bitching about Apple here isn't going to do a bit of good either, Mr. Troll.
  • Reply 107 of 134
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I'm guessing the conversation went something like this:

Jobs: "I really don't like you building phones that kinda look like ours."

Samsung: "Maybe we can work something out."

Jobs: "Shut down your Android lineup or we'll take our business elsewhere."

Samsung: "In the long run, we'd rather make more from the value added of an entire phone than being the parts bin for Foxconn."

I don't like Samsung's copying. Touchwiz is such an iOS rip. That said, given how much Apple is going around suing every Android vendor and given the whole community design fiasco, it's hard to imagine that Jobs made anything approaching a reasonable offer to Samsung. Somehow I highly doubt, Jobs said, "We'll pay you more for your parts if you stop making Android phones."
  • Reply 108 of 134
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Don't be a dick and act in a asinine and condescending manner.

If the number 2 person in your company is too stupid to understand the difference between 2 differently branded phones (when all it takes is a 1 minute Google/Bing search) then maybe he shouldn't be involved in running your company. Does he also not understand the difference between a Honda and Toyota?

To some people "iPhone" is simply a generic term for a smartphone, regardless of who made it. My daughter's mother-in-law is the ideal example of that, asking my son if he got a new iPhone when she saw him playing Words with Friends on his cheap pre-paid Android. To her every touchscreen phone is an iPhone. Kinda like ordering a "Coke" at lunch or asking if anyone has a "Kleenex".

By the way, you could have made the post without the personal attack. It added nothing.
  • Reply 109 of 134
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Apple has added the notification bar to iOS 5. It looks a lot like the notification bar in Android.

Apple is touting wireless syncing in iOS 5, yet the laughed at the same feature when it was introduced in the Zune a few years ago.

Tapping on notifications on the top of the screen to pull down information has been a part of iOS for years e.g. when on an active call the green bar across the top of the screen, when WiFi tethering a blue bar, some Apps use a red bar across the top of the screen tapping any of these takes you to the active process.

Apple is extending existing functionality.

MobileMe and others have offered a form of wireless syncing for quite a few years now, as a matter of fact once activated an iOS device NEVER has to be plugged into a computer at all.
  • Reply 110 of 134
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I'm guessing the conversation went something like this:

Jobs: "I really don't like you building phones that kinda look like ours."

Samsung: "Maybe we can work something out."

Jobs: "Shut down your Android lineup or we'll take our business elsewhere."

Samsung: "In the long run, we'd rather make more from the value added of an entire phone than being the parts bin for Foxconn."

I don't like Samsung's copying. Touchwiz is such an iOS rip. That said, given how much Apple is going around suing every Android vendor and given the whole community design fiasco, it's hard to imagine that Jobs made anything approaching a reasonable offer to Samsung. Somehow I highly doubt, Jobs said, "We'll pay you more for your parts if you stop making Android phones."

I'm guessing you don't have a clue as you embark on your hyperbolic rant.

So where are the court cases Apple has launched against ZTE, Huawei, Sharp, Panasonic, Dell, Amazon and other Android vendors?

So Judges upholding the law is a "fiasco"?

Methinks you've been taking too many of the Canadian meds, Google was recently fined $500 million for helping to illegally sell.
  • Reply 111 of 134
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Interesting comments out of Australia

"This is going to be launched on the market with the velocity of a fire hose and [the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is] going to just come in and take away iPad 2 sales so quickly that by the time we get to final hearing the full impact of the patent infringement will be [felt] to the detriment of Apple and to the benefit of [Samsung]."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/57...-two-customers

I thought that was quite assuming when I read it yesterday, it reads like they are suing out of fear rather than any technical reasons
  • Reply 112 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Interesting indeed, and coming from Apple's own counsel no less.

Also from the article:

So it seems all the noise here about "Samsung being banned in AU" isn't really what's been happening there at all. If this article is correct, only a single product is being pursued for injunction, the injunction itself is only temporary, and it hasn't even gone into effect yet.

And according to Apple this isn't about patents or tablets. It's the ecosystem stupid

Apple's attorneys say the concern is that Samsung will take potential iTunes customers and that once in the Android ecosystem they won't switch over to iOS.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/09/29/apple-...ts-or-patents/
  • Reply 113 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

I'll be damned if some lazy company gets to just copy the general concept

Then you is gonna be damned. General concepts get no legal protection.
  • Reply 114 of 134
    Samsung must have some of the dumbest executives in the world! They must also lack the talent to innovate on their own, rather than steal from others. Motto: No innovation, just duplication.
  • Reply 115 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Do you consider consumers to be complete idiots who cant read?

Perhaps YOUR arrogance is stunning.

Galbi - YOU are the dick! just STFU and go find somewhere else to hang out as your comments on this site are stupid and contribute nothing to the conversation.
  • Reply 116 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So Judges upholding the law is a "fiasco"?

From the article someone else cited:

Justice Bennett made it clear that she would only be making a decision on the Australian version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1, no other products. She is not expected to make a final decision on whether to grant a temporary injunction until at least next week. The full hearing is likely to be later in the year.

It must really suck for Apple to have to deal in a situations where "We have lots of money" is not a trump card.
  • Reply 117 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

From the article someone else cited:

Justice Bennett made it clear that she would only be making a decision on the Australian version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1, no other products. She is not expected to make a final decision on whether to grant a temporary injunction until at least next week. The full hearing is likely to be later in the year.

It must really suck for Apple to have to deal in a situations where "We have lots of money" is not a trump card.

No, what sucks for Apple are the hordes of technically challenged pseudo-geeks who fail to distinguish between 'copy' and 'reverse-engineer'. Apparently, an affinity for Android is a characteristic of note.

Cheers
  • Reply 118 of 134
    FreeRange, Galbi's post could not avoided the mention of ignorance, but trolling responses don't contribute anything either. We're all better off without insults and accusations.
  • Reply 119 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

That's touchwhiz (app drawer not homescreen) not Android thus Google is not to blame.

Android looks considerably different than iOS does. And the next version looks to differentiate even more for the few remaining idiots who seem to feel stock Android resembles iOS.

Note: I am not calling YOU an idiot in any way and apologize if you assumed such.

Oops... I was trying to say Samsung and Google took it one step too far. Not just Google and Android. The Google part is in relation to Android concepts in general and Java infringements, etc.

I agree with Ice Cream Sandwich for phones and tablets Google has differentiated the OS enough. Samsung though, still has several infringing products actively sold. Amazing though, here in Australia still no Galaxy Tab due to court action... Which leaves iPad and Kindle the forces to rule in 2012 here... Given RIM is on its way down and Moto gobbled up by Google and no major LTE in Australia yet.
  • Reply 120 of 134
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

And the Samsung guy said to Jobs...

"When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master!"

Is this before or after the Samsung guy got his arms and legs chopped off?