iPhone 5 cases show up in leaked AT&T inventory photo

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An alleged photo of AT&T's inventory system was leaked Thursday, revealing the arrival of iPhone 5 cases ahead of the Apple device's anticipated unveiling next week.

The image appears to show that three different models from case manufacturer Case-Mate have been loaded into AT&T's inventory in advance of Apple's Oct. 4 iPhone event, according to BGR, who originally published the leak.

The Tough Case, Pop! Case and Barely There product lines seen in the photo reportedly represent a hard case, soft case and skin, respectively, and will be available at launch in a variety of colors. Earlier this month, the case maker posted images of its iPhone 5 cases before quickly taking them down.

The New York Times subsequently reported that, according to an Apple engineer source, the images "seemed potentially authentic." That report also noted that the next-generation iPhone will sport a "fairly different" design than the iPhone 4.

The case maker's iPhone 5 product page has since been replaced with a signup page. "We'll have your cases when you have your new iPhone," the company's site reads.

Alleged iPhone 5 case designs from Case-Mate.

Case-Mate claims that, according to its sources, Apple will be launching two different devices, an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 4S, in early October. But, reports have varied on whether Apple will release a much-rumored low-end iPhone. Several analysts and pundits (1, 2) have cast doubt on the likelihood that a so-called iPhone 4S will arrive next week.

Consistent rumors have implied that Apple's next iPhone will feature an 8-megapixel camera and the speedy A5 processor. Some reports have also suggested that the iPhone maker could add deep voice recognition integration or near-field communication technology to its forthcoming smartphone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Now I get it! 4 + 1 (in red).
  • Reply 2 of 39
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    This new iPhone is looking to borrow heavily from the iPad2 for its design, which is not a bad thing, but those beveled edges don't allow the dock connector to sit flush with the device (much like the iPd Touch), which I find a bit disconcerting.

Anyway... It'll likely look pretty similar to this:

We'll See...
  • Reply 3 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

This new iPhone is looking to borrow heavily from the iPad2 for its design, which is not a bad thing, but those beveled edges don't allow the dock connector to sit flush with the device (much like the iPd Touch), which I find a bit disconcerting.

But it have wireless sync built into iOS 5.x, something I think you've complained about iOS for a long time now.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    I'd say this pretty much confirms the iPhone 5 form factor. I don't care about specs. I'm not upgrading.

I still expect a cheaper iPhone 4, S or not S, for $99 for 8GB.

I'm sticking with my iPhone 4 until my contract runs out. I really look forward to the iCloud and iOS5 for synchronizing. No more copying files to my iPad or my iMac.

Then I am going to find a way to go monthly to save money. If AT&T isn't subsidizing my phone, I'm paying too much! I'm not shelling out $299 for another phone.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But it have wireless sync built into iOS 5.x, something I think you've complained about iOS for a long time now.

Exactly. And, he navigated to this (without attribution): http://www.giga.de/benm/2011/09/29/i...ign-prototype/
  • Reply 6 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I think that the iPad 2 looks pretty good, so if the new iPhone looks like a mini-iPad 2, then I say, bring it on!
  • Reply 7 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I can't wait to see what compelling new feature will convince me to upgrade because right now I am pretty satisfied with iP4, aside from my general criticism of the awful spell correction and lack of any ad blocking capability in mobile Safari which also relates to no plugins, no Flash and no user accessible file system in general, but other than that iP4 is perfect.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:

We'll See...

You can't fit an iPad2 in its dock connector with a smartcover on or any 3rd party snap case either so what's your point?

At least it won't require the godawful bumper which Apple says will not cover protection to it's antenna edge as dirt gets trapped underneath and scratches the metal. I know it firsthand, it's happened to my iphone4.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

You can't fit an iPad2 in it's dock connector with a smartcover on or any 3rd party snap case either so what's your point?

He's not referring to the iPad 2 Dock, he's referring to the standard 30-pin dock connector cable not sitting flush with the device. You do have to pay slightly more attention when plugging in the connector but I haven't had any issues once it's in.

edit: Can't find image of the dock connector showing a lot of metal when fully plugged. But it's not a big deal, they could redesign the cable they ship if they want it to fit more snuggly against the rounded edge.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I'd say this pretty much confirms the iPhone 5 form factor. I don't care about specs. I'm not upgrading.

I still expect a cheaper iPhone 4, S or not S, for $99 for 8GB.

I'm sticking with my iPhone 4 until my contract runs out. I really look forward to the iCloud and iOS5 for synchronizing. No more copying files to my iPad or my iMac.

Then I am going to find a way to go monthly to save money. If AT&T isn't subsidizing my phone, I'm paying too much! I'm not shelling out $299 for another phone.

You know you can likely sell your iPhone 4 for $450 (16GB) now. Most likely 6 months or so and it will still sell for around $400. Do that and you can just buy another phone without using a penny.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

You know you can likely sell your iPhone 4 for $450 (16GB) now. Most likely 6 months or so and it will still sell for around $400. Do that and you can just buy another phone without using a penny.

Oh, and unlocking your device before selling it (but not overloading it with extra jailbroken crap) will kick that price up by another hundred or so.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

He's not referring to the iPad 2 Dock, he's referring to the standard 30-pin dock connector cable not sitting flush with the device. You do have to pay slightly more attention when plugging in the connector but I haven't had any issues once it's in.

I have an iPad 2, and I can't say that I've ever had any problems with connecting the dock connector to the device and I've done it hundreds of times already.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:

edit: Can't find image of the dock connector showing a lot of metal when fully plugged. But it's not a big deal, they could redesign the cable they ship if they want it to fit more snuggly against the rounded edge.

Ok I understand what he means now and actually the larger plastic pinned connector that came with the original iPods and accessories worked better IMO. Unfortunately mine shorted out and Apple doesn't make them anymore.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    This dispells the iPhone 4s -- minor update b.s. Once and for all.

It certainty refuels my feeling of a real 4s same form factor but cheaper.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post

This dispells the iPhone 4s -- minor update b.s. Once and for all.

Implying any of us knows anything about anything about ANYTHING. No, that wasn't a typo; that doubling is on purpose.

We've seen sticker labels reading iPhone 4S. We've seen AT&T product pages reading iPhone 5.

What if the new device is called iPhone 4S but has a new form factor?

I think I've just sent every single teeterer* on this board into a metaphysical crisis.

*Teeterer: n; one who teeters; a person characterized as "one of those whiners who complains that they won't buy the next iPhone if it's called the iPhone 4S and/or one of those whiners who demands every single feature ever rumored ever from the iPhone 5"
  • Reply 16 of 39
    I was blown away the first time I picked up and felt the iPad 2 in my hands. I would love this form factor in my next phone.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

We'll See...

That looks about right!
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That looks about right!

You DO realize that's just a block of aluminum with glass, right? That's not even a phone... just a physical mock up of what they iphone is expected to look like based on the leaked cases.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

You can't fit an iPad2 in its dock connector with a smartcover on or any 3rd party snap case either so what's your point?

At least it won't require the godawful bumper which Apple says will not cover protection to it's antenna edge as dirt gets trapped underneath and scratches the metal. I know it firsthand, it's happened to my iphone4.

What?

This is what I'm referring to (e.g. the dock connector is not in full contact with the device surface):

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg825...jpg&res=medium
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:

Better late than never, though there's still no built-in wireless charging, so looks like that dock-connector will still have to be used.