Apple discontinues boxed software for education buyers in digital push

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

This digital push is retarded. Forcing users to make their own physical copies of software they purchased is just bad customer relations.

If you don't have the backup, particularly some of these packages that are massive in size, and your drive crashes. If you have a slow internet connection, you may be down for days.

Simply retarded.

There's a really simple solution to that. It's called having a backup duh!!!!
  • Reply 22 of 25
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I've got shelves full of legacy versions. I don't need any of them because even on a fixed budget, I upgrade my software. I know that's just me, but I think you are probably one of those persons that still have MacWorld Magazines from the 90s. Somebody has to shove those hoarders into the 21st century. It might as well be Apple.

Hahaha ahhh that's not me at all. I have skipped a couple versions on some stuff especially crap software that receives minor annual updates and few bugfixes. I think the oldest programs on here are maybe 2008 ish. You know when Lion came out, you could no longer obtain a copy of SL even though Lion was buggy and not everything would run on it. It's starting to smooth out, but the point remains declaring an immediate EOL on a product and its availability as soon as the next debuts causes a lot of problems. Note the issues with FCP X and how many editors were angry when Apple EOL'd the previous software before the new one was truly ready.

So anyway I always run the newest "stable" version unless it's an annually upgraded program with few changes.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Hahaha ahhh that's not me at all. I have skipped a couple versions on some stuff especially crap software that receives minor annual updates and few bugfixes. I think the oldest programs on here are maybe 2008 ish. You know when Lion came out, you could no longer obtain a copy of SL even though Lion was buggy and not everything would run on it. It's starting to smooth out, but the point remains declaring an immediate EOL on a product and its availability as soon as the next debuts causes a lot of problems. Note the issues with FCP X and how many editors were angry when Apple EOL'd the previous software before the new one was truly ready.

So anyway I always run the newest "stable" version unless it's an annually upgraded program with few changes.

Understood. I did mean to say, but didn't, that I DO wait for a stable version and I'm not a first adopter. I'm not using Lion now and waiting for iCloud integration before I upgrade to it. That said, some people just don't like change (I have to admit I'm one of them... I'm not too keen on Lion's UI changes) but if Apple doesn't push people to change, some would wait until their systems developed green mold on them before they upgrade it.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chuckmoser View Post

There's a TON of small, out of the way towns in Eastern Oregon that have little to no internet connection. The nearest town of 4,000 population might be an hour and a half away. I imagine other states have the same thing. WA, AZ, NV and UT are just a few. It takes a lot of $$ to string lines up out there, and the satellite stuff is prohibitively expensive in most cases.

Hell, the town I spent my high school years in didn't have phone lines... rather, it was dependent on good weather and a clear shot to one of the radio towers.

So, this download-only thing is a bit premature. Personally, I prefer discs.

Not to even mention that there is a world out of the United States of America. With hmmm, 6.2 billion inhabitants, compared to the 400 million americans. And interestingly, Apple sells a lot of computers to those people.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Understood. I did mean to say, but didn't, that I DO wait for a stable version and I'm not a first adopter. I'm not using Lion now and waiting for iCloud integration before I upgrade to it. That said, some people just don't like change (I have to admit I'm one of them... I'm not too keen on Lion's UI changes) but if Apple doesn't push people to change, some would wait until their systems developed green mold on them before they upgrade it.

I get you. It actually did make me laugh before. If I think something offers a reasonable gain I don't hesitate to upgrade. It's just that sometimes I do end up somewhat forced to retain legacy hardware or software to extend the time I have access to old files. If every program I use and have used could update files from one version to another in a truly lossless manner, then this wouldn't be an issue. I am wondering how utilities that you would otherwise boot to from a disk are being handled. Apple always included hardware tests on their installation utilities, and I still like Disk Warrior. It may sound really really dated, but it's always improved hard drive performance significantly (almost never see the spinning wheel).

Any idea what they've done for the previously included hardware tests with Lion?