AT&T already stocking iPhone 5 silicone sleeves in stores

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
On the heels of a leak showing iPhone 5 cases entered into the carrier's inventory system, more evidence has emerged that AT&T has begun stocking third-party iPhone 5 cases days before Apple is expected to unveil its next handset.

An alleged store employee at an AT&T retail store sent to MacRumors photos of newly arrived silicone sleeves for the as-yet-unannounced "iPhone 5." The product appears to be a low-end generic case, as it carries no distinguishable brand, is simply labelled "cell phone accessory" and comes in oversized packaging.

The sleeve features a tapered design with the mute switch on the right side of the device, resembling purported iPhone 5 cases that have proliferated in China for months.

However, the publication took care to note that the cases run against the "growing feeling that Apple may not be releasing such a device" because of recent evidence suggesting that Apple's design for its next iPhone may be "nearly identical to the iPhone 4."

Earlier on Thursday, a leaked photo allegedly of AT&T's inventory system surfaced, showing entries for iPhone 5 hard case, soft case and skin products from Case-Mate. The case maker had previously posted its case designs on its website, but took them down shortly after they went up.

Anticipation for the next-generation iPhone reached a fever pitch after Apple sent out invitations to an event next Tuesday, Oct. 4, with the tagline "Let's talk iPhone." The tagline has prompted renewed speculation that Apple will include voice recognition features on its fifth-generation smartphone. The next iPhone is widely believed to feature the A5 processor found in the iPad 2 and an 8-megapixel camera.

There has been some disagreement, however, about whether Apple will introduce a redesigned iPhone 4 in addition to a new model. It had been suggested that Apple was looking to release a cheaper iPhone 4S alongside the iPhone 5, but recent reports have poured cold water on the rumor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    I guess every MNO in the US has now pissed off Apple for one reason or another, except for Sprint.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I guess every MNO in the US has now pissed off Apple for one reason or another, except for Sprint.

Apple just acquired Sprint and renamed the iPhong the SprintPhone!
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Could this possibly suggest apart from the obvious indication of a redesign, a more imminent release following Tuesday's event. Seems too early to stock cases for something not due out for over 2 weeks...
  • Reply 4 of 35
    They should have regional managers go from store to store and line-up all employees of similar skin-tone and match the photos with their hands - then fire the match.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Have you ever seen such a cheap product?
  • Reply 6 of 35
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    iPhone condoms. How sweet. Does that mean all iPhones are male?
  • Reply 7 of 35

EDIT: oops, link didn't work. Its the "fuuuuuuu..." cartoon.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

They should have regional managers go from store to store and line-up all employees of similar skin-tone and match the photos with their hands - then fire the match.

Why? If these things are on the shelves already then they are in the public domain and anyone is free to take a pic of them.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    ok... that's some UGLY packaging, not to mention the fact that the "bubble" it's in is HUGE! I'll believe it when I see the actual iPhone... next Tuesday...
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalpen View Post

ok... that's some UGLY packaging, not to mention the fact that the "bubble" it's in is HUGE! I'll believe it when I see the actual iPhone... next Tuesday...

I agree 100% about the packaging. Why would an AT&T store sell such unattractive products? I feel like this is either a fake or a misdirection.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    What good is all the hype to an entrepeneur if they can't make a dime off it? Early iPhone cases are a way to monetize on speculation.

So long as people buy 'em, the seller doesn't care whether the product is legit. That's what's been going on in China and now that's what's going on at AT&T.

Here's what's actually interesting:

What would AT&T's policy be for folks who purchase a case that proves useless?
  • Reply 12 of 35
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Here's what's actually interesting:

What would AT&T's policy be for folks who purchase a case that proves useless?

A refund?
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

A modern-day Cinderella.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

I agree 100% about the packaging. Why would an AT&T store sell such unattractive products? I feel like this is either a fake or a misdirection.

Maybe it wasn't a true AT&T store, no matter what the article says. But, then again, everything we read on the internet is true.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

A refund?

As much is obvious, but think of the ramifications: overhead involving restocking, labor to file returns, repackaging costs, time wasted dealing with returns in the heat of an iPhone release, disgruntled customers resulting in loss of AT&T brand loyalty/trust, inventory tracking costs, etc.

Maybe it's just a risk worth taking to be the only major carrier with cases in-stock on day of launch. If so, then you would expect Verizon to be doing the same regardless of risk.

Either they're dead certain these are the correct cases or they just have that much free capital to risk. I'm betting on the latter. \
  • Reply 15 of 35
    AI should have splashed out a couple of bucks to actually buy the case so they could measure the inside and tell us the dimensions of the new phone.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    And in related news, a former female employee of AT&T has filed for employment benefits after it was disclosed that she inadvertently released privileged data contrary to her non-disclosure agreement.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smaceslin View Post

employee of AT&T has filed for employment benefits

Knowing AT&T, that's exactly what would happen.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

As much is obvious, but think of the ramifications: overhead involving restocking, labor to file returns, repackaging costs, time wasted dealing with returns in the heat of an iPhone release, disgruntled customers resulting in loss of AT&T brand loyalty/trust, inventory tracking costs, etc.

Maybe it's just a risk worth taking to be the only major carrier with cases in-stock on day of launch. If so, then you would expect Verizon to be doing the same regardless of risk.

Either they're dead certain these are the correct cases or they just have that much free capital to risk. I'm betting on the latter. \

Of course ATT would know what iPhone5 looks like by now. Apple had to send them final production examples to verify indeed they work on the carrier's network.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

Apple had to send them final production examples to verify indeed they work on the carrier's network.

Are you insane? No, they didn't have to do that. Apple wouldn't have to tell them squat. Apple does all the testing themselves.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you insane? No, they didn't have to do that. Apple wouldn't have to tell them squat. Apple does all the testing themselves.

you still have to work out the subsidy agreement and a lot of other business details. not like new iphones just appear at at&t stores one day out of the blue.

and yes, apple does have to certify their product on the carriers' networks like everyone else