MobileMe experiencing outages ahead of iCloud transition

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Numerous MobileMe users reported experiencing outages of Apple's current cloud service on Thursday, even as the fall launch of iCloud looms.

AppleInsider readers have noted being unable to access MobileMe Mail. Apple's system status page for its web service currently states that 25 percent of members may be unable to access MobileMe Mail, and some members may be unable to access www.me.com web apps and Find My iPhone. All other MobileMe services are listed as "online and fully operational."

MacRumors noted that Apple late Thursday had cautioned on its status page that as many 75 percent of MobileMe Mail users might be experiencing problems.

MobileMe is, at this point, a 'lame duck' service, as it is scheduled to shut down on June 30, 2012. Apple plans to move existing members over to its upcoming iCloud service, a complete reworking of the company's cloud-based offerings.

But, Apple has indicated that it will eliminate some of MobileMe's less-used features, such as iDisk, MobileMe Gallery and iWeb publishing. After receiving customer complaints about lost functionality from the switch, Apple said it was open to considering adding back features "if there's enough feedback on the subject."

The Cupertino, Calif., company is expected to announce a release date for iCloud next week's media event to unveil a new iPhone, as it's unlikely that Apple would launch the fifth-generation iPhone without iCloud. Currently, the service is in a limited beta test.

Last week, the company released a developer build of Mac OS X 10.7.2 with iCloud integrated. Developer accounts have had their iCloud data wiped in preparation for an imminent launch of the service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I can access the webmail service but all my IMAP access has been down for about 4 hours now.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    As an existing MobileMe customer, I think I get an extra 20G on my iCloud, or something...

Anyway I can't wait for it to roll out. It's just a bit more reassurance, another level of backup, of my Multimedia collection, which is mostly Apple purchased.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    I have not been able to access any of my mail since about 7 hours ago. Apple Mail on multiple Mac, iPhone, iPad. Obviously very frustrated.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Well, here in NZ, I noticed mail delivery delays from about 3 PM. It's now 9 PM, and I'm still having issues syncing iDevices, and the mail on the website keeps timing out....
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

As an existing MobileMe customer, I think I get an extra 20G on my iCloud, or something...

Anyway I can't wait for it to roll out. It's just a bit more reassurance, another level of backup, of my Multimedia collection, which is mostly Apple purchased.

Oh, and you beat me to it, I think we're entitled to a free 20 gig.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sabuga View Post

Well, here in NZ, I noticed mail delivery delays from about 3 PM. It's now 9 PM, and I'm still having issues syncing iDevices, and the mail on the website keeps timing out....

Me too. Address Book sync is weird, with duplicates...
  • Reply 7 of 45
    I can't access MobileMe e-mail, not thru Mail.app and not thru me.com
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Unable to acess as well.

They better keep iDisk! I swear, been very useful.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    modemode Posts: 163member
    If there was any doubt left that Apple is dooooomed...

It started here today... this news, the turning point Apple history.

Lets see if Tall-Shill can defend this epic disaster...
  • Reply 10 of 45
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Not a good sign considering that email is one of the few services surviving the transition to iCloud. Mine has been down now for about 8 hours. Considering how successful Apple is at keeping the iTunes Store up and running without a hitch, the stability and robustness of all their other online services, including both MobileMe and the Apple Store, is shocking.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Unable to acess as well.

They better keep iDisk! I swear, been very useful.

I agree. I don't use even the minimum space, but it has proved useful to me, so I'd like to keep it.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    To all those worried, Apple will be leavin access to iDisk and Gallery open until the cutoff date (June 30, 2012), even if you move everything else over to iCloud. Also, as some have said, for the first year of your iCloud service, you will get an additional 20GB of storage (25GB total).
  • Reply 13 of 45
    Hoping that soon enough Apple will decide to allow us to consolidate iTunes accounts via iCloud. Also, are they going to let current MobileMe users cancel as soon as iCloud comes out to get a refund on the remainder of the year?
  • Reply 14 of 45
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Not a good sign considering that email is one of the few services surviving the transition to iCloud. Mine has been down now for about 8 hours. Considering how successful Apple is at keeping the iTunes Store up and running without a hitch, the stability and robustness of all their other online services, including both MobileMe and the Apple Store, is shocking.

My Mail is still not working as of 6am Pacific, and I think the problem began at least 8 hours ago. If this is deliberate, it seems they would have said something.

Edit: I Just read the whole story. They did say something.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

If there was any doubt left that Apple is dooooomed...

It started here today... this news, the turning point Apple history.

Lets see if Tall-Shill can defend this epic disaster...

AHAHAhahahahah.....

[breath]

.hahahahaha....

Thanks for a little perspective. A known upgrade that changes from a paid service to a superior free service is causing temporary bugs and some people will freak out. Always the way things go. I bet the whole companies dies and they close their doors by Oct.7 over this. Lol!
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

My Mail is still not working as of 6am Pacific, and I think the problem began at least 8 hours ago. If this is deliberate, it seems they would have said something.

As of 6:48 am PST, email through the Mail app is working just fine for me. Earlier at 6am it wasn't. maybe the issue has been resolved?
  • Reply 17 of 45
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

It was down ESTat 11pm - I thought I'd be at the genius bar today ecausevof the error messages I was receiving on my iPhone and iPad.. I had no such problem on my iMac.

Apple should warn us next time that this may occur when they try out maintenance or whatever especially during the work week??
  • Reply 18 of 45
    I've been sending & receiving mail pretty much normal from my iphone but since about 8-9 pm EST last night my Mac would kick up SMTP password requests or the SMTP server was down, though a couple of times it worked normal. I wish they'd do this kind of thing on a weekend, not business days.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

A known upgrade that changes from a paid service to a superior free service is causing temporary bugs and some people will freak out. Always the way things go... Lol!

Well I may be in the minority but I don't see iCloud as a superior service to Mobile Me. Not with all the features it is leaving behind that I use on a daily basis. I'd gladly continue to pay for Mobile Me if it were offered along side iCould. My only complaint ever with Mobile Me was that the upload speed to iDisk was incredibly slow. Aside from that it was exemplary and I'm very sad to see it left behind.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebudda View Post

I've been sending & receiving mail pretty much normal from my iphone but since about 8-9 pm EST last night my Mac would kick up SMTP password requests or the SMTP server was down, though a couple of times it worked normal. I wish they'd do this kind of thing on a weekend, not business days.

Why? The MobileMe terms of service say it's not meant and shouldn't be used for business use. I would imagine personal use is greater on weekends.