Apple removes iPod classic click wheel games from iTunes Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

This is great news for consumers. iPod Classic is a disgusting device and should be eliminated immediately.

That's a serious deadpan you have there.
  • Reply 22 of 115
    Quote:

This is great news for consumers. iPod Classic is a disgusting device and should be eliminated immediately.

Please educate everyone here WHY is is "disgusting" and "should be eliminated immediately"
  • Reply 23 of 115
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Good. Nobody needs that much storage in a pocketable device.

Apple needs to focus on what makes them the most profits, and iCloud is the way forward.

It's really amazing how the louder trolls think they know what's best for everyone.

SOME people obviously think they need that much storage.

Now, it's entirely possible that the number isn't large enough to justify keeping the product, but that's not the same as your claim that nobody needs it.

And the cloud is not going to solve the problem for an iPod. Last time I checked, iPods are not connected to the cloud all the time. Even the iPod touch is only connected when you're within range of a WiFi network that you have access to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Is this the sign we will finally get 128 GB. iPod Touch? One can only hope...

How much money do you have? It would probably be very expensive.
  • Reply 24 of 115
    I guess I better grab a new one soon. I just want something for camping that I can store LOTS of music on.
  • Reply 25 of 115
    Quote:

Apple needs to focus on what makes them the most profits, and iCloud is the way forward.

Speak for yourself. We're not all teenagers with a handfull of CDs. My record collection goes back over 30 years. It's handy to have it all on one device without having to pick and choose which songs to put on it all the time.

Apple needs to focus on what it's customers want. Fewer customers equal lower profits. Just ask RIM, Nokia, etc.
  • Reply 26 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Speak for yourself. We're not all teenagers with a handfull of CDs. My record collection goes back over 30 years. It's handy to have it all on one device without having to pick and choose which songs to put on it all the time.

Apple needs to focus on what it's customers want. Fewer customers equal lower profits. Just ask RIM, Nokia, etc.

Yep. My CD collection started in 1985 and is around 800 CDs. That averages to 30 CDs a year...times.....carry the three...drop the five....about $10K to $12K paid towards music. Oh dear lord!!!

In comparison, my iTunes purchases are only around 400 songs. If I just wanted to carry my iTunes songs around any mp3 player would do, but 800CDs (about half in Apple Lossless) requires a HDD-based player like the Classic.
  • Reply 27 of 115
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

spotify, $10 a month for mobile use. free for desktop use

i'll keep my CD's for memories but i don't even have any itunes music on my ipad anymore
  • Reply 28 of 115
    Quote:

Was that sarcasm? iPod Classic is easily my favorite iPod form factor. I'd tweak it's OS to more closely mimic the iPod 5G (that split screen really is a nuisance and unhelpful), but aside from that it's perfect in my eyes. If it is cancelled on Tuesday I'll be running to an Apple Store to buy one before they are gone forever.
  • Reply 29 of 115
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I bought my last iPod back when this rumor first aired last year. For me, the Genius feature is the main reason to have every.fricken.song you own with you, and I think it's the killer app for the iPod classic. Since only a small percentage of my music is from iTunes, cloud offerings are of no interest to me.

It also serves as an offsite backup of my photos, contacts, and music library.
  • Reply 30 of 115
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

True, but we have seen that Apple goes all out when it wants to stop something - the Final Cut Pro fiasco being one example. So I am not surprised that the games are gone. If they were all priced above $5, then I wouldn't have bought them

Yes look what Apple did to AppleTV 1.
  • Reply 31 of 115
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Was that sarcasm? iPod Classic is easily my favorite iPod form factor. I'd tweak it's OS to more closely mimic the iPod 5G (that split screen really is a nuisance and unhelpful), but aside from that it's perfect in my eyes. If it is cancelled on Tuesday I'll be running to an Apple Store to buy one before they are gone forever.

Those mini-spinning hard drives? How last decade.
  • Reply 32 of 115
    Quote:

Yep, just hook my car up to the cloud and I'm good to go!
  • Reply 33 of 115
    Surely this is a little bluff and they'll make them free to download.
  • Reply 34 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Yep, just hook my car up to the cloud and I'm good to go!

Yup, and Caltrain, MUNI, various bus systems, the ferry, my bike...

The cloud works great.

AHAHAHAHA!!!!
  • Reply 35 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Surely this is a little bluff and they'll make them free to download.

• Reply 36 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Those mini-spinning hard drives? How last decade.

Maybe, but they still work and have much larger capacity then flash based players. Not to mention actual physical controls.
  • Reply 37 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Maybe, but they still work and have much larger capacity then flash based players. Not to mention actual physical controls.

Implying all flash-based players have touchscreen controls?
  • Reply 38 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I think they should keep it as a build to order device. They'll make it if you want it. No returns!

Apple does not do that. They sell products aimed directly towards the most common type of consumer, the big bulge in the midmarket, and they do not make things for people who Think Different. Making products that most people do not want is no longer their strategy - when was the last time they used the slogan "For the Rest of Us"?

IOW, fergettaboudit. Apple is aiming towards the mass market. Not special use scenarios. Not anymore.

And given their profits, they know exactly what they are doing.
  • Reply 39 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Implying all flash-based players have touchscreen controls?

Well, all of Apple's do. Besides the shuffle that is. But that can't really be compared to a 160GB device with a color screen now can it?
  • Reply 40 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

SOME people obviously think they need that much storage.

Yeah, but not enough to generate sufficient profit. Apple doesn't make products to fit some tiny niche market, not if they can help it.

Apple now makes products that appeal to the broad masses. ISTM that they are having much success with that strategy.