Apple removes iPod classic click wheel games from iTunes Store

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Yup, and Caltrain, MUNI, various bus systems, the ferry, my bike...

The cloud works great.

AHAHAHAHA!!!!

... for no network fee, no cloud fee to store 150GB libraries.

I'm beginning to think this topic is pure troll-bait. I'm happy with my Classics and have spare parts stocked just in case.
  • Reply 42 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

spotify, $10 a month for mobile use. free for desktop use

i'll keep my CD's for memories but i don't even have any itunes music on my ipad anymore

Interesting point. I use Spotify and it's excellent. The free version does have a limit on the amount of songs you can listen to in the month but the paid versions are good value. The only thing that worries me is what happens when the record companies put the squeeze on and the monthly fee goes up to £20 or £30. At least with my iTunes collection now I've got no monthly fees, especially as I mostly listen to older music I've already paid for.

Apple will have to offer an iTunes subscription service eventually to compete.
  • Reply 43 of 115
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Even with a smartphone my Classic sees use every day, too bad they are getting rid of them. Even if there are 128GB Touch's/iPhones next gen, they won't be nearly as cheap. Oh well, at least this probably means my resale value will stay high.
  • Reply 44 of 115
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Yeah, but not enough to generate sufficient profit. Apple doesn't make products to fit some tiny niche market, not if they can help it.

That may be true. But you said that NOBODY needs that much storage. You were wrong. As usual.
  • Reply 45 of 115
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Maybe, but they still work and have much larger capacity then flash based players. Not to mention actual physical controls.

Except when you drop or bump them and then they die.
  • Reply 46 of 115
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Who was buying the games for the iPod classic anyhow? They seemed to be novelties more than anything.

On a side note, I've got a 160GB classic purchased when they were first made available and it lives in my car hooked up to the audio system. For anything outside that I have either my computer, or my iPhone.
  • Reply 47 of 115
    Perhaps a spike in sales do to rumors?

How much R&D is needed to maintain a product like the classic. It seems their pouring tons more into several gens of the flash versions. Walking away from profit because the % doesn't fit the current curve on other products doesn't feel like a good reason.
  • Reply 48 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You were wrong. As usual.

a bit harsh, mate.
  • Reply 49 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Apple needs to focus on what it's customers want.

If Henry Ford were to give customers what they wanted, he would have built a faster horse. IOW, big corporations like Apple can be trusted to give you what you need; they skate to where the puck is going to be.

And the puck is headed towards iCloud. Mechanical hard drives and local storage are like, so 20th century. Trust Apple to do what is best for most people.

It has happened again and again. The whiners with niche usage patterns lament everything Apple does. But Apple makes products for The Most of Us.

The iPod was Apple's entry into mass-market success. But not when they made it for niche computer users - they had massive success starting when they made it able to sync with Windows machines. They haven't turned back yet, and their stock has made many people rich. This isn't your daddy's Apple anymore. If you have a niche usage pattern, look for a niche company to appeal to you.

If you are like most consumers, like Grandma, then Apple is your pride and joy.
  • Reply 50 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Except when you drop or bump them and then they die.

If the HDD isn't spinning a modern HDD can handle several G's impact. A similar drop will smash the touch screen of an iPhone or iPod Touch.

I have had my iPod Photo for years and never had a problem.
  • Reply 51 of 115
    Quote:

Yeah, but not enough to generate sufficient profit. Apple doesn't make products to fit some tiny niche market, not if they can help it.

Apple now makes products that appeal to the broad masses. ISTM that they are having much success with that strategy.

Apple TV

Mac Pro / Mac Mini (Server models)

OS X Lion Thumbdrive

Nike + iPod

Each of those targets markets smaller (and probably less profitable) than the iPod Classic. Of course, Apple does cut products that have sales that slow (Plastic Macbook or iPod Hi-Fi, anyone?)

It's a shame, I'll miss the iPod Classic. Glad I have mine, though. I have far too much music to store on an iPod Touch and having it locally is always nice in comparison to having it on the cloud where access can become spotty at times.
  • Reply 52 of 115
    1) It seems certain now the Classic is out.

2) I'd wager that a 128GB iPod Touch is in.
  • Reply 53 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Even with a smartphone my Classic sees use every day, too bad they are getting rid of them. Even if there are 128GB Touch's/iPhones next gen, they won't be nearly as cheap. Oh well, at least this probably means my resale value will stay high.

Ditto. I love my iPhone, it does a lot of fantastic things, but it's not a very good iPod.

I use my Classic everyday. The large capacity and the physical controls are a godsend when on the go. When at work, going for a run, at the gym, cycling, in the car, etc, it's a superior experience. Most of the time, if I'm using an iPod, I'm also doing things that make a touchscreen an annoyance at best, and some times even a hazard. I'm also most likely to be somewhere where cell reception is poor or non existant. On road trips (or any time I'm away from my computer for more than a day), having all of your music with you is fantastic.

The spinning platter itself I'm not married to, but it's still a lot more durable than the iPhone that's made of glass! I've dropped my Classic on pavement more times than I can count and it just keeps on working.

Ideally, what I'd like to see Apple do is resurrect the 5th gen iPod Nano form factor, with 160GB or larger flash storage. Until flash memory prices come down enough to allow such a creature to sell for $300 or less, the current Classic needs to stay. What I definitely don't want, is a larger capacity Touch.
  • Reply 54 of 115
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Good. Nobody needs that much storage in a pocketable device.

Apple needs to focus on what makes them the most profits, and iCloud is the way forward.

You mean you don't need it?

Some people have their ipod with them when on holiday for 2/3 weeks, or when working away from home for months at a time. Like me, some have completely uncompressed audio files for live broadcast quality playback - thirty hours of uncompressed audio doens't fit on a 32gig device, and the touch screen can be problematic when accurate control of playback is needed.

There are lots of reasons that people want, use and like their iPod classics and despise the touch. For some of us, a music player that has an OS focussed on just playing music and has twice the capacity, twice the battery life, is more robust in build quality and costs less than the touch alternative is a very attractive and very useful product, especially when working in areas that there is no net connection or access to a machine to sync.

So don't make stupid statements like "nobody needs that much storage in a pocketable device". It's simply not true.

PS. iCloud is free, what profit is to be had from that?
  • Reply 55 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) It seems certain now the Classic is out.

2) I'd wager that a 128GB iPod Touch is in.

long live ifixit.com
  • Reply 56 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

spotify, $10 a month for mobile use. free for desktop use

i'll keep my CD's for memories but i don't even have any itunes music on my ipad anymore

Yippee for you. Everyone doesn't have 3G service, nor should they.
  • Reply 57 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No one who buys an iPod classic today is buying it for the tiny applications on it. They're buying them to have a backup when their current one dies because they 'need' an iPod over 128GB.

It still amazes me the posters on here who think everyone else reads Mac rumors sites. Most Apple customers have no idea that Apple is holding a special event next week. Some people are actually buying iPods today because they want an iPod.
  • Reply 58 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Please educate everyone here WHY is is "disgusting" and "should be eliminated immediately"

It's old.

It looks ugly.

The technology it uses is practically obsolete.

It doesn't support any of Apple's pioneering touch hardware or software.

iPod Classic is embarrassing and gives Apple a bad name.

it's over johnny, it's over.
  • Reply 59 of 115
    No one knows how many clickwheel app Apple is selling except for Apple and maybe the developers. My guess would be not much if any.

This is what I think will happen. Apple will discontinue the iPod classic and we will see a 128GB iPod touch. Want more storage for your songs? Apple will tell you use iTunes Match.
  • Reply 60 of 115
    Remember when Xserve got the boot?

Wasn't Steve reported to answer, "Hardly anyone was buying them".

I splurged on the fatter 160GB when it first came out.

I bought I think three $5 games. Zuma's really cool, and fairly good on the click-wheel. I don't remember the other two and don't play any of them anymore.

Perhaps the sales-rate dropped below the laser-focus level that Apple demands, so it's OUT.

Click wheel games got "3.5-inch Floppy'd".