Known issues remain with Apple's ninth beta of iTunes 10.5

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Friday supplied developers with the ninth beta of iTunes 10.5, with a number of known issues remaining before the final version of the software debuts with iCloud.

People familiar with the latest build indicated it contains some of the same issues that were present in the previous beta of iTunes 10.5, supplied to developers earlier this month. The largest is said to be the incomplete music scanning feature that will be a part of Apple's $24.99-per-year iTunes Match service.

In its current form, some tracks reportedly won't be recognized through iTunes Match, and will instead be uploaded to iCloud storage. The iTunes Match beta is available to developers in the United States.

Developers were also warned that music may not play if an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch is updated to iOS 5 beta 7. This can reportedly be fixed by turning iTunes Match functionality off, then back on.

Any iCloud libraries created in beta testing iTunes 10.5 will be deleted once the beta has ended and iCloud is publicly available. Developers are said to have been advised to back up regularly and not delete any local music that has been synced to iCloud.

iOS 5 beta 7 was supplied to developers in August, and soon after the iTunes Match beta was expanded to more people for trial ahead of the upcoming iCloud launch. iCloud is expected to debut alongside iOS 5 and iTunes 10.5.

That launch could come as soon as next week, as Apple will hold a media event on Tuesday to introduce its next-generation iPhone and refresh its iPod lineup. The keynote will begin at 10 a.m. Pacific, and AppleInsider will have full live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

That launch could come as soon as next week,

Not with "known issues" it won't. Apple is nothing like Google, who releases buggy software.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Quote:

The keynote will begin at 10 a.m. Pacific, and AppleInsider will have full live coverage.

Will Appleinsider actually be at the event; and if so, will that be a first?
  • Reply 3 of 60
    I think Apple should eventually remove the App Store from iTunes since they already have the App Store on OSX 10.6 and 10.7. Seeing as iTunes was created for "music' it now is too bloated with too much other stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Not with "known issues" it won't. Apple is nothing like Google, who releases buggy software.

How about the known issue that it runs like treacle. iTunes needs a major overhaul, just too slow with large libraries.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Quote:

The keynote will begin at 10 a.m. Pacific, and AppleInsider will have full live coverage.

This site surely could learn from This Is My Next which nailed the last keynote. Fast and detailed contrary to this site (and Mac Rumors).
  • Reply 6 of 60
    iTunes has some issues for sure, but IOS has even more. Beta 7 is deardfully slow on my iPhone 4. And beta 7 is supposedly one away from GM.....

messaging is laggy on the iPhone4.

notification center only works well on the iPad2, it is laggy on the iPhone 4.

and the best feature for the iPad2, display mirror, is SUPER laggy.

4 days to go and no GM..... no way is this coming out anytime soon.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    I've been generally impressed with iOS and iTunes betas since they appeared. iCloud betas along with 10.7.2 — don't even get me started on the un-Apple-like system they had for all but the most recent betas — have been less complete. I wonder if it's iCloud that's been holding up the G5 iPhone but I don't think that's a big enough reason. Plus Apple has plenty of precedent of releasing HW and SW whilst holding back particular services that are taking longer to build.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Kubrick View Post

I think Apple should eventually remove the App Store from iTunes since they already have the App Store on OSX 10.6 and 10.7. Seeing as iTunes was created for "music' it now is too bloated with too much other stuff.

They should remove all podcasts, videos, and device syncing, too… because you want iTunes work like a 20th century product.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

iTunes has some issues for sure, but IOS has even more. Beta 7 is deardfully slow on my iPhone 4. And beta 7 is supposedly one away from GM.....

With this and the possibility of no 4G LTE for iphone 5 for Verizon, this is getting somewhat discouraging, but I am still hopeful.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They should remove all podcasts, videos, and device syncing, too? because you want iTunes work like a 20th century product.

No reason to act like a jerk with your pathetic sarcastic reply. My comment of removing the app store is a good one.

That or Apple should change the name of iTunes to iMedia or something to more accurately describe what the software does.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:

No reason to act like a jerk with your pathetic sarcastic reply. My comment of removing the app store is a good one.

That or Apple should change the name of iTunes to iMedia or something to more accurately describe what the software does.

so the iPhone should also be renamed to iDoEveryThingDevice
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:

It was sarcastic but lets analyse the asinine comment you made: your entire reasoning for crippling iTunes is because you don't like its name.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:

Why would they change something with incredible brand recognition?

iQwikster?
  • Reply 13 of 60
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

How about the known issue that it runs like treacle. iTunes needs a major overhaul, just too slow with large libraries.

If yr itunes installation runs like treacle, there's something wrong with it.

290 gig library here, launches in less than one bounce, no performance issues at all.

Maybe look to your own machine before assuming the software is at fault?
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:

It is possible for software to be multi-functional, and iTunes does it just great. I don't want one app to sync, one app for movies, one for books, one for apps, one for music, one for purchasing. It's an easy piece of software to use and it's all in one place. Having several apps to perform the function of an existing single piece of software is a retrograde step.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

Mirroring on ipad2 here - zero latency, no issue at all...
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

If yr itunes installation runs like treacle, there's something wrong with it.

290 gig library here, launches in less than one bounce, no performance issues at all.

Maybe look to your own machine before assuming the software is at fault?

that fact that you use the term "bounce" indicates mac.

iTunes is slow on windoze.

but i agree, on my mac's, itunes is super fast.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    I suspect that:

-- we'll se an iPhone, iOS and iCloud announcement on Oct 4

-- the announcement will include previously unannounced iOS features

-- availability will be Nov 4

-- pre-orders will be accepted immediately

-- a new iOS GM Beta 1 SDK (and iCloud if needed) will be available to developers immediately
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder if it's iCloud that's been holding up the G5 iPhone but I don't think that's a big enough reason. Plus Apple has plenty of :

We never got the G5 in a portable computer but now you believe them when they say you can get a g5 iPhone?
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I suspect that:

-- we'll se an iPhone, iOS and iCloud announcement on Oct 4

-- the announcement will include previously unannounced iOS features

-- availability will be Nov 4

-- pre-orders will be accepted immediately

-- a new iOS GM Beta 1 SDK (and iCloud if needed) will be available to developers immediately

So you are betting on a lengthy "delay" between announcement and launch? In the past it has always been about 10 days between (not counting the original iPhone of course). It should be launched on Oct 14th if they are on their usual schedule.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    If this is causing Apple so much Headaches to get it right.

What are the chances of all the Other guys ever getting it right?

This and all of what Apple is trying to do with all this iCloud stuff is pretty amazing stuff.

(If they can perfect it themselves)