Apple TV to launch in Netherlands, Belgium, 5 more countries next week

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The iOS-powered Apple TV is set to launch next Tuesday in seven European countries: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway and Sweden.



Availability will occur on the same day that Apple will hold a media event to show off its next-generation iPhone hardware. Word of the impending launch came from a note sent by Apple to resellers, obtained by MacRumors on Friday.



"We are delighted to announce the all-new Apple TV, with an enhanced user interface and a breakthrough price point, is now available to order in Belgium, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland," the note reads. The set-top box is reportedly set to sell for ?119 including VAT in Finland.



Global expansion of the hardware comes as Apple has launched its iTunes Store in 12 new European Union countries, ending an eight year wait. The expanded availability signals Apple's interest in selling more content throughout Europe through iTunes, which has become the largest music and movie store in the world.



The launch in seven new countries could be seen as a sign that Apple does not intend to refresh the Apple TV with a hardware upgrade this year. Some rumors earlier this year suggested the company was working on a new model powered by the A5 processor found in the iPad 2 and capable of displaying 1080p content, a higher resolution than the current maximum of 720p with the A4 CPU.







The redesigned Apple TV, which sells for $99 in the U.S., was launched in late 2010 and found success in the market, though Apple still famously refers to the device as a "hobby." Sales of the new Apple TV topped 2 million in April.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    h2ph2p Posts: 264member
    A friend of mine - a long-time American ex-pat in Belgium said that many of her friends don't watch much TV. I'm wondering how well something like Apple TV would do there?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by H2P View Post


    A friend of mine - a long-time American ex-pat in Belgium said that many of her friends don't watch much TV. I'm wondering how well something like Apple TV would do there?



    I wouldn't think that she is representative of the majority
  • Reply 3 of 24
    h2ph2p Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by H2P View Post


    A friend of mine - a long-time American ex-pat in Belgium said that many of her friends don't watch much TV.



    I found a page that ranks media in Europe. (http://www.nationmaster.com/country/...gium/med-media). Belgium has 98% penetration of TV's; pretty large penetration of Cable subscribers (2nd of 18 - 37%) and 2.75 hours a day. Hmm.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by H2P View Post


    I found a page that ranks media in Europe. (http://www.nationmaster.com/country/...gium/med-media). Belgium has 98% penetration of TV's; pretty large penetration of Cable subscribers (2nd of 18 - 37%) and 2.75 hours a day. Hmm.



    Nice find. Also note that the AppleTV far exceeds TV show watching to which your friend might be referring.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    This is like a bad news. If there will be a new model soon surely they will wait to launch a new one instead?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    By far the best value-for-money product from Apple.



    Can't wait for the day when it's actually bundled with a tv.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    W00t!



    Post #7000.



    (Sorry, couldn't resist!)
  • Reply 8 of 24
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    By far the best value-for-money product from Apple.



    Can't wait for the day when it's actually bundled with a tv.



    I don't want it to be bundled with the tv (I don't mind if it is...) but what I want is for my cable co to create an app for it so the Apple TV is my only box... with an Apple interface.



    Oh, and congrats on 7000 posts. Time to get a life, perhaps? Just kidding, geeez. Who needs a life when we have AI, right?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    These country-by-country licensing issues must be an absolute nightmare to manage and negotiate.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post


    This is like a bad news. If there will be a new model soon surely they will wait to launch a new one instead?



    Agreed. I am really hoping that Apple opens it up to apps. Would be so nice to stream video other than Netflix and iTunes. Airplay is okay, but kind of ackward.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Using it for almost a year now to watch most of the movies I see.

    It's an exellent device and it's nice to see content for it in iTunes, finally.

    It was a lot cheaper than 119€ though, about 69€ if I recall correctly.



    J.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    I just rented a movie on my AppleTV and I live in Brussels.



    However the French (dubbed) and Dutch (subtitle) versions are mixed up on the same catalogue pages.



    As always this is a complicated country.....
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    W00t!



    Post #7000.



    (Sorry, couldn't resist!)



    Shouldn't that have been "700t!"
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post


    Using it for almost a year now to watch most of the movies I see.

    It's an exellent device and it's nice to see content for it in iTunes, finally.

    It was a lot cheaper than 119? though, about 69? if I recall correctly.



    J.



    I agree, we really like ours. We used to say we love ours - but in the last few weeks it seems like iTunes access has really slowed down. I'm talking "7 minutes until ready" (or whatever the message says exactly) to download an episode of Modern Family - and it's not our connection; I can start streaming a Netflix episode instantly. (Note, this was the extreme; but it's not uncommon for it to say "2 minutes until ready"; and we've had buffering issues more than once with iTunes, but almost never with Netflix.)



    Has anyone else noticed this? D'you suppose it's related to Apple bringing the cloud online and finishing up iOS5?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post


    This is like a bad news. If there will be a new model soon surely they will wait to launch a new one instead?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post


    Agreed. I am really hoping that Apple opens it up to apps. Would be so nice to stream video other than Netflix and iTunes. Airplay is okay, but kind of ackward.



    I agree with the basic logic - but look at the bright side, I don't think Apple would be rolling it out to 6 European markets if it was still just a "hobby". I have to think with this news that Apple's taking an ever-more-serious interest in the AppleTV.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post


    I agree with the basic logic - but look at the bright side, I don't think Apple would be rolling it out to 6 European markets if it was still just a "hobby". I have to think with this news that Apple's taking an ever-more-serious interest in the AppleTV.



    No necessarily, they sell it in other markets providing not much more than iTunes streaming
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jean-Pierre Bobbaers View Post


    I just rented a movie on my AppleTV and I live in Brussels.



    However the French (dubbed) and Dutch (subtitle) versions are mixed up on the same catalogue pages.



    As always this is a complicated country.....



    "Complicated" is not the word that came to mind.......
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post


    Shouldn't that have been "700t!"



    Nice!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post


    I agree, we really like ours. We used to say we love ours - but in the last few weeks it seems like iTunes access has really slowed down. I'm talking "7 minutes until ready" (or whatever the message says exactly) to download an episode of Modern Family - and it's not our connection; I can start streaming a Netflix episode instantly. (Note, this was the extreme; but it's not uncommon for it to say "2 minutes until ready"; and we've had buffering issues more than once with iTunes, but almost never with Netflix.)



    Has anyone else noticed this? D'you suppose it's related to Apple bringing the cloud online and finishing up iOS5?



    I have had the exact opposite issue: to the point where I have now suspended my Netflix account!
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Apple doesn't have any offering of TV shows, or movie in Norway so what is the point in selling it here? They sold 1st gen Apple TV before, but you could only play photo, music, youtube etc. which is pretty pointless if you ask me.
Sign In or Register to comment.