Known issues remain with Apple's ninth beta of iTunes 10.5

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 60
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtmw1863 View Post


    With this and the possibility of no 4G LTE for iphone 5 for Verizon, this is getting somewhat discouraging, but I am still hopeful.



    There was never any chance of that. Apple will roll LTE out when most of the coverage area (at least in the US) is ready next year and the chipset's shrunk and power efficient enough. And only the cognoscenti will notice the delay.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post


    iTunes has some issues for sure, but IOS has even more. Beta 7 is deardfully slow on my iPhone 4. And beta 7 is supposedly one away from GM.....



    messaging is laggy on the iPhone4.

    notification center only works well on the iPad2, it is laggy on the iPhone 4.



    and the best feature for the iPad2, display mirror, is SUPER laggy.



    4 days to go and no GM..... no way is this coming out anytime soon.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    I suspect that:



    -- we'll se an iPhone, iOS and iCloud announcement on Oct 4



    -- the announcement will include previously unannounced iOS features



    -- availability will be Nov 4



    -- pre-orders will be accepted immediately



    -- a new iOS GM Beta 1 SDK (and iCloud if needed) will be available to developers immediately



    I suspect that's some reasonable expectin'...

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post


    So you are betting on a lengthy "delay" between announcement and launch? In the past it has always been about 10 days between (not counting the original iPhone of course). It should be launched on Oct 14th if they are on their usual schedule.



    Sounds to me like the whole deal's caught somewhere between "ready for prime time" and Christmas selling season.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    I think that the hardware is ready, but I think the developers will need a little lead time to incorporate rumored new features (Voice Assistant), etc.



    We're 4 days away from the announce and we don't have a GM Beta iOS 5 for the developers. We haven't had a beta upgrade for over 4 weeks -- that tells me that they are holding off the next developer iOS beta because of unannounced capabilities.



    Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple staggered the availability of some iCloud features, like iTunes Match, to maintain a balanced load on their servers,



    Again, I'll bet you win a kewpie doll on that.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Yeah, I could be wrong too!



    I just have this feeling that there is more to iOS 5 than has been revealed to the developers -- and they, Apple and the customer could benefit from additional testing.



    But, hey -- they could do a 10-day announce-ship delay and satisfy most situations. If the new iPhones need an iOS upgrade out of the box -- it wouldn't be the first time.



    Nor the last, likely.....
  • Reply 42 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post


    Pishh. Amateur. 4 terabytes and counting.

    In all seriousness though it would be nice if iTunes was more modular. I sometimes do get annoyed having to sit through iTunes start up, alerts, downloads resuming, podcast updates etc before I can do whatever it was I wanted to do to my iPhone. It's a very lovely Window's like experience.



    It won't become more modular [NeXT like] until it's pure Cocoa on both Windows and OS X.



    At some point Apple has to provide a new portable runtime for Cocoa on Windows or make a big break in the two platforms interfacing to the iTunes store.



    I'm better on the break as Clang/LLVM for Windows and it's native ABI is not remotely ready for prime time but the ABI for OS X, Linux, FreeBSD and other various UNIX are ready.



    A lot of legacy still needs to be filtered out.



    Apple will keep a separate Windows team for as long as it makes sense.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post


    not possilble.



    im pure apple in my test enviroment.



    Apple TV 2, Air Port Express, iPad2.....



    not calling you a liar, but saying zero latetncy is not 100% honest.



    Ok, poor choice of phrase, but it's the exact opposite of 'laggy', it's fast, responsive and 'instant'.



    Just thought, if yr using the express to connect the apple tv to the network, there's yr issue. It's an apalling piece of kit...
  • Reply 44 of 60
    lukeilukei Posts: 370member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post


    that fact that you use the term "bounce" indicates mac.

    iTunes is slow on windoze.



    but i agree, on my mac's, itunes is super fast.



    Yes I agree on release code but current Beta hangs frequently.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post


    Pishh. Amateur. 4 terabytes and counting.



    If you're serious about the size of your library, it's probably on an external drive. That would slow iTunes down a bit during launch I think.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post


    Yes I agree on release code but current Beta hangs frequently.



    Cool, well as a software developer, you've Investigated the causes of this and reported back to apple to help them solve the issues.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Not with "known issues" it won't. Apple is nothing like Google, who releases buggy software.



    Pardon? This is iTunes we are talking about, the worst bug ridden application I have installed on my Macs
  • Reply 48 of 60
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post


    If yr itunes installation runs like treacle, there's something wrong with it.



    290 gig library here, launches in less than one bounce, no performance issues at all.



    Maybe look to your own machine before assuming the software is at fault?



    290 gig of what?



    my iTunes library is around 1 Tb of music/video, iTunes is slow to load, slow to do anything, and crashes all the time. It does this on my iMac, on my Macbook, it did it on Leopard, it did it SL, it does it on Lion, it has done it on multiple versions of iTunes for a while now. iTunes should be an embarrassment for Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    But, hey -- they could do a 10-day announce-ship delay and satisfy most situations. If the new iPhones need an iOS upgrade out of the box -- it wouldn't be the first time.



    Normally I would agree, except that this version of the iOS touts a PC-free setup as one of its features. Something I'm sure they REALLY want to be able to advertise as a feature of the next generation of iPhone.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post


    Just thought, if yr using the express to connect the apple tv to the network, there's yr issue. It's an apalling piece of kit...



    I was thinking the same thing. I could see the Express being the culprit here. While it's better than many routers out there, it's not the one of the best pieces of hardware Apple's shipped. I was surprised to experience a noticeable difference when I switched up to an Airport Extreme.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    But, hey -- they could do a 10-day announce-ship delay and satisfy most situations. If the new iPhones need an iOS upgrade out of the box -- it wouldn't be the first time.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post


    Normally I would agree, except that this version of the iOS touts a PC-free setup as one of its features. Something I'm sure they REALLY want to be able to advertise as a feature of the next generation of iPhone.



    They are using the wireless delta updating as they travel around the world to their destination country?
  • Reply 52 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Not with "known issues" it won't.



    Of course not. But for all we know, they know the source of the issue and it is already fixed.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    It was sarcastic but lets analyse the asinine comment you made: your entire reasoning for crippling iTunes is because you don't like its name.





    It wouldn't be crippling per se but could in fact improve things a lot if they took iTunes back to just being a player and handled the other tasks in other ways. There's already a great bit of the back work on a web based store with the iTunes Preview pages. Just nix the 'open in iTunes' and replace it with a buy button. And why not have your devices simply appear on the desktop like external drives do, double click it and get the sync screens there.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post


    How about the known issue that it runs like treacle. iTunes needs a major overhaul, just too slow with large libraries.



    May I recommend an SSD upgrade

    Though truth be told iTunes needs to be more modular, the iOS AppStore should be moved somewhere else, maybe a new application called iSync? Have the music library and playback in iTunes and the apps, books and sync functionality in iSync. Specially since iOS5 is going PC-free it makes a lot of sense to do that now.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    Not with "known issues" it won't. Apple is nothing like Google, who releases buggy software.



    gourami ing aren't you. What Google software have you ever bought?
  • Reply 55 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    I suspect that:



    -- we'll se an iPhone, iOS and iCloud announcement on Oct 4



    -- the announcement will include previously unannounced iOS features



    -- availability will be Nov 4



    -- pre-orders will be accepted immediately



    -- a new iOS GM Beta 1 SDK (and iCloud if needed) will be available to developers immediately



    you never said "On Windows" and you're on a Mac forum. What do you expect people to think?



    Windows is the problem because it does have the frameworks Mac OS X does that they can leverage. iTunes and Safari run slowly as a result.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    iPhone 4S name hidden in the new iTunes beta.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    290 gig of what?



    my iTunes library is around 1 Tb of music/video, iTunes is slow to load, slow to do anything, and crashes all the time. It does this on my iMac, on my Macbook, it did it on Leopard, it did it SL, it does it on Lion, it has done it on multiple versions of iTunes for a while now. iTunes should be an embarrassment for Apple.



    1. 'slow to load' is user perspective. Without all the info it means little. If someone writes it loads 'fast' but fails to mention the app and its media is on SSD it would mean nothing.



    2. Seems there's something very wrong with all of your Macs. Or your iTunes content. Or both.



    3. I presume you mean TB, not Tb. Otherwise both your libraries are of similar size.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


    1. 'slow to load' is user perspective. Without all the info it means little. If someone writes it loads 'fast' but fails to mention the app and its media is on SSD it would mean nothing.



    One Mac (3 GB RAM) getting the data from a Gb attached NAS, the other (8GB RAM) locally of a 7200rpm HDD.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


    2. Seems there's something very wrong with all of your Macs. Or your iTunes content. Or both.



    Neither of them are new (over a year old), iTunes takes well over 20 seconds to load on either one, nothing wrong with the content, both have new iTunes libraries as well. And something wrong with both Macs? That would make them quite unreliable, wouldn't make me that confident in getting another Mac...



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


    3. I presume you mean TB, not Tb. Otherwise both your libraries are of similar size.



    Sorry, slip of the shift key, TB
  • Reply 59 of 60
    chabigchabig Posts: 640member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


    iTunes takes well over 20 seconds to load on either one...



    I think the problem is one of expectations. I think 20 sec is entirely reasonable since the size of your media library is over 1TB. Anyway, it only has to load once if you keep iTunes running (like I do).
  • Reply 60 of 60
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post


    I think the problem is one of expectations. I think 20 sec is entirely reasonable since the size of your media library is over 1TB. Anyway, it only has to load once if you keep iTunes running (like I do).



    I totally agree, it isn't a hassle if you only load it the once, but as I mentioned, I find iTunes extremely buggy, it would be the number one application that crashes my Mac
Sign In or Register to comment.