Apple removes iPod classic click wheel games from iTunes Store

Comments

• Reply 81 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Yeah, wanting to have my music with me is so 20th century.

Not to agree with ConrdJoe, but yeah, using an iPod Classic *is* soooo 20th century.

In fact the main reason Apple might want to discontinue it is that beyond the click-wheel, there is literally nothing unique or interesting about the product at all. iPod Classic copies are available almost anywhere for a variety of price points. You could even make your own for less than the Classic costs with off the shelf parts and software, all freely available.

If it bothers you that it's gone, go buy one from any of a hundred other manufacturers, or geek out and make your own. It's just a hard drive. A bit-bucket by another name.

Apple is about the future and not the past.
  • Reply 82 of 115
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not to agree with ConrdJoe, but yeah, using an iPod Classic *is* soooo 20th century.

Not to split hairs, but the iPod wasn't available in the 20th century.
  • Reply 83 of 115
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Not to split hairs, but the iPod wasn't available in the 20th century.

Which razes ConradJoe's point that mechanical hard drives are so 20th century when the iPod didn't exist until the next century.
  • Reply 84 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Which razes ConradJoe's point that mechanical hard drives are so 20th century when the iPod didn't exist until the next century.

Ouch!

• Reply 85 of 115
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Good. Nobody needs that much storage in a pocketable device.

Apple needs to focus on what makes them the most profits, and iCloud is the way forward.

I need it, primarily in my car, hooked into my audio system. Lossless, non-repeating music for car trips (I put it on album shuffle). There's no replacement for the iPod Classic used in this way (160 GB is about 650 albums).

If every company focused only on the products that make the most profits, there would be a lot of items you couldn't buy any more. What's wrong with producing some items that you only make average profits on?
  • Reply 86 of 115
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Best case scenario, they drop the Classic but make another hard drive based iPod with an elongated screen like the Zune 120. Last we heard, Toshiba was phasing out the 160GB drives in the current Classic in favour of their new 240GB one, which is compatible with the same hardware. That, at the same price point as the current Classic, would be sweet. Plus things to make it feel like its from 2011, like wifi syncing, maybe bluetooth, etc. My smartphone won't be replacing my Classic until such large capacities of Flash memory are cheap and the battery won't shit out before the day is through due to music listening, so that will be a long time in the coming.
  • Reply 87 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

+1 Great analogy. To paraphrase a somewhat old cliche: A company can choose to LEAD, FOLLOW or to GET OUT OF THE WAY. Apple chooses to LEAD.

Yeah - and Jim Jones was a great leader too. Follow without questioning, and see where you end up.

Apple is leading video editors right on over to Adobe and other companies, as FCP X is such a mess.
  • Reply 88 of 115
    Quote:

In fact the main reason Apple might want to discontinue it is that beyond the click-wheel, there is literally nothing unique or interesting about the product at all. iPod Classic copies are available almost anywhere for a variety of price points. You could even make your own for less than the Classic costs with off the shelf parts and software, all freely available.

If it bothers you that it's gone, go buy one from any of a hundred other manufacturers, or geek out and make your own. It's just a hard drive. A bit-bucket by another name.

You don't know what you're talking about. Please list all the 160 GB+ products that integrate with car stereos (are controlled by car audio controls), and that play Apple Lossless files. Thank you.
  • Reply 89 of 115
    Quote:

If I could make an iPod device that supported the Apple integration with my cars' audio systems, the system in the boat and supported Apple Lossless, I'm game. Or are AppleTVs, iTunes and iPods supporting FLAC soon?
  • Reply 90 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

You don't know what you're talking about. Please list all the 160 GB+ products that integrate with car stereos (are controlled by car audio controls), and that play Apple Lossless files. Thank you.

I think you have the complete list right there.
  • Reply 91 of 115
    Quote:

Apple needs to focus on what makes them the most profits, and iCloud is the way forward.

Know it all attitude.

iCloud is not for everyone.
  • Reply 92 of 115
    Quote:

We'll see if Apple keeps selling iPods with mechanical hard drives. As of now, it is an open question.

How does the iPod Classic being discontinued support your previous position that mechanical hard drives are a technology of a 20th century, not the 21st century?

Note 1) the 1.8" HDD in the iPod Classic only first became available in it's initial state in 1999, not used by Apple until nearly 2002 with the original iPod, 2) the 1" HDD used in the very popular iPod Mini didn't first come on the market until 2004, several years into the 21st century, and 3) the most commonly used storage medium used in 'PCs' is the HDD.
  • Reply 93 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Look, you can say something negative about any device ever. All I can say is that I've had multiple HD based iPods since they were first introduced and I've never had one die on me. Not one. In fact, my 1st gen iPod still works though with a diminished battery. The only reason I ever got a new one was for new features or extra space.

HD based iPods have served me extremely well. I still use one daily. And yes, I could use even more space.

I'm an iPhone user who owns an 80gig Classic and an iPod Mini (remember those?). Previously I had a 5G iPod 30gig that I literally wore out from use. I primarily use the Classic for listening to music while I go to sleep. The Mini has been upgraded with a 16gig Compact Flash card and is hooked into my car stereo as a jukebox, set on shuffle.

I love the classic iPod form for my car because it works flawlessly as a jukebox for the car. You don't need a touchscreen for that, and the large capacity makes for an "endless" source of commercial-free music while you drive.

Having said the above, I often think how cool it would be to have an iPod Touch for around the house instead of the classic. I could stream music wirelessly from my Macbook's hd, update podcasts from the couch. My favorite feature of the touchscreen is being able to fast-forward by touching the progress bar, rather than holding down the click wheel. I will never give up the classic in the car though. Simple and effective!
  • Reply 94 of 115
    Quote:

the 1" HDD used in the very popular iPod Mini didn't first come on the market until 2004

Fun fact: apparently you can take that out and swap it with a CompactFlash card because they use the same interface. Have yourself a 32GB iPod mini.

Nothing to do with the topic at hand, just thought it was neat.
  • Reply 95 of 115
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

How does the iPod Classic being discontinued support your previous position that mechanical hard drives are a technology of a 20th century, not the 21st century?

<yawn>

• Reply 96 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

spotify, $10 a month for mobile use. free for desktop use

Why would I want to pay for a service that doesn't stock everything I want to hear?
  • Reply 97 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Even with a smartphone my Classic sees use every day, too bad they are getting rid of them. Even if there are 128GB Touch's/iPhones next gen, they won't be nearly as cheap. Oh well, at least this probably means my resale value will stay high.

And they won't sound nearly as good
  • Reply 98 of 115
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Apple makes enough profit to "afford" to keep making products that people still want, but don't currently generate the white- hot margin numbers of the latest and greatist. I hate my wife's iPod Tough as a music player. My Classic boots up faster and navigates easier/faster. The battery life is waaaay better as is the capacity (duh). Screw Steve Jpbs and Co. for always telling customers what they should want
  • Reply 99 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

And they won't sound nearly as good

Uh, what? Implying that they won't work with ALAC files or something?
  • Reply 100 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, what? Implying that they won't work with ALAC files or something?

I thought he was implying the audio HW in the Touch isn't as good as in the Classic.