Apple welcomes some users to iCloud with early email

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Edit: Oh, I guess to answer your question - yes. You can use an existing AppleID when you first sign on to the iCloud world as long as it's a conventional non-Me email.

Oh. Uh. That wasn't my question. Sorry.

Here. I have an old Apple ID from way back when. All my stuff has been purchased with it. It's Gmail-based.

I made an iCloud account in iOS 5 beta 1. It's an @me.

I want to know if they're letting us merge our old accounts (any type) into our new accounts (@me) yet.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh. Uh. That wasn't my question. Sorry.

Here. I have an old Apple ID from way back when. All my stuff has been purchased with it. It's Gmail-based.

I made an iCloud account in iOS 5 beta 1. It's an @me.

I want to know if they're letting us merge our old accounts (any type) into our new accounts (@me) yet.

I don't recall from not reading NDA release notes that all beta iCloud will be wiped. . I think all that stuff is gone soon. You'll be able to just sign into iCloud with your existing gmail.com AppleID and it'll send you an email to verify you are you. No migration required.

Edit: oh, I think they create a me.come email with your user portion of the gmail.com account if there's no current collision with me.com. You can later change your iTunes AppleID name to the new iCloud me.com email address. Hell, I guess this is confusing.

Edit 2: iPad typing and excessive vodka = wierd spell checks.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:

I don't recall from not reading NDA release notes that all beta iCloud will be wiped. . I think all that stuff is gone soon. You'll be able to just sign into iCloud with your existing gmail.com AppleID and it'll send you an email to verify you are you. No migration required.

Okay, I'm apparently terrible at explaining.

Two Apple IDs.

One's old. No MobileMe ever with it, just a old-timey one. Back from aught four. It carries an @gmail name, as it's the e-mail address I used to use prior to iCloud. This has my purchases.

The other is new. Created in iCloud for iCloud. It's an @me. Not earlier. This has no purchases.

I want to merge the licenses for all of my purchases from the first one to the second one. That's it.

I have no data in iCloud. I don't care about the wipe. That's not my issue. I want to merge my accounts and henceforth use my @me Apple ID, created at iCloud's inception, for purchases.

Quote:

Hell, I guess this is confusing.

You're tellin' me.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:

Okay, I'm apparently terrible at explaining.

Two Apple IDs.

One's old. No MobileMe ever with it, just a old-timey one. Back from aught four. It carries an @gmail name, as it's the e-mail address I used to use prior to iCloud. This has my purchases.

The other is new. Created in iCloud for iCloud. It's an @me. Not earlier. This has no purchases.

I want to merge the licenses for all of my purchases from the first one to the second one. That's it.

I have no data in iCloud. I don't care about the wipe. That's not my issue. I want to merge my accounts and henceforth use my @me Apple ID, created at iCloud's inception, for purchases.

You're tellin' me.

There are just too many scenarios. The dev beta iCloud IDs and data are going to be wiped. Day 1 iCloud goes public, if you want a me.com email/iCloud AppleID, create it on your iDevice or www.me.com, perform any verification steps, change the "Apple ID and Primary Email Address" on your current iTunes AppleID, that is gmail, to the me.com address, re-perform any verification steps that you are you, update iTunes, Home Sharing, iStuff, et all with the AppleID change.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:

There are just too many scenarios. The dev beta iCloud IDs and data are going to be wiped. Day 1 iCloud goes public, if you want a me.com email/iCloud AppleID, create it on your iDevice or www.me.com, perform any verification steps, change the "Apple ID and Primary Email Address" on your current iTunes AppleID, that is gmail, to the me.com address, re-perform any verification steps that you are you, update iTunes, Home Sharing, iStuff, et all with the AppleID change.

What, the IDs are being wiped?! Not just the data?! Then what was the point of letting us even have the IDs?! Should have just been an Apple-assigned random set of characters @me.com.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Quote:

What, the IDs are being wiped?! Not just the data?! Then what was the point of letting us even have the IDs?! Should have just been an Apple-assigned random set of characters @me.com.

Pretty sure Apple said that all iCloud would be wiped prior to go-live and about the time the dev profile puts the iPhone into "Help! Plug me into iTunes!!!" mode.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:

Pretty sure Apple said that all iCloud would be wiped prior to go-live and about the time the dev profile puts the iPhone into "Help! Plug me into iTunes!!!" mode.

I'm reading iTunes match data and all backups. Can't find anything about the IDs themselves? And that wouldn't make much sense, since iCloud mail is @me and so was MobileMe.

I can see something going HORRIBLY wrong and Apple accidentally deleting entire MobileMe IDs being used by people right now.

And that would be an even worse travesty than the MobileMe launch itself.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:

I'm reading iTunes match data and all backups. Can't find anything about the IDs themselves? And that wouldn't make much sense, since iCloud mail is @me and so was MobileMe.

I can see something going HORRIBLY wrong and Apple accidentally deleting entire MobileMe IDs being used by people right now.

And that would be an even worse travesty than the MobileMe launch itself.

I didn't count on them keeping iTunes Match libraries or iCloud IDs after beta. I figured there'd be guys making many IDs as things went bad for each. Your iPhone/iPad dev profile should last beyond go-live. I'd expect us to get gold binaries on the 4th. When the 5th gen iPhone ships, you should be able to recreate your me.com ID that is suspect will have been wiped. Figure a few weeks before they make 5.0 downloadable for 4 & 3GS peeps.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Stuff like this in release notes gave me pause:

"If you have a Family Pack master account, you will lose the ability to create or delete family member accounts once you move to iCloud. You should complete any family member account management prior to moving.

Some contacts, as well as mailing addresses within some contacts, may be duplicated after moving to iCloud. "

I'm reading that some data will be available to devs after the beta ends. Perhaps they will be keeping dev me.com addresses. If they are permanant, the link AppleID.apple.com should let you update your AppleID to your me.com. Don't see a clear indication that accounts created in beta will be retained. Perhaps we should just trust that Apple knows best. MuahahHhahha!
  • Reply 30 of 33
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    iCloud is so close now... I think I have to rewatch the keynote to remind me what it does.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

iCloud is so close now... I think I have to rewatch the keynote to remind me what it does.

lol, good idea. I've forgotten some of it as well...
  • Reply 32 of 33
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    I never got the email so I guess MobileMe's still not working.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Quote:

Hey, this smells like a déjÃ*-vu situation